PDA

View Full Version : Cable Stops/adjusters Versus Head Tube Or Downtube

alancw3
04-12-2009, 01:21 PM
so i have noticed that when the cable stops/adjusters are mounted on the head tube it creates a binding problem for the front brake cable. conversely on bikes i have owned when the mounting is on the downtube (further back)there doesn't seem to be the no problem anyone else have this problem?

04-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Huh? Photo? Is this Dura Ace 7800?

If 7800, you can't have too much or too little front shifter cable housing or it pushes against the front brake cable housing. Usually the problem is that the rear brake cable housing catches in the shifter housings. But this can be a problem regardless of where the cable stops are mounted.

If SRAM or 7900 or Campy, are you talking about where the housings leave the handlebar wrap? Again, relative length of all cable housings is important. But again, this can be a problem regardless of where cable stops are mounted.

A photo would definitely help.

Dave
04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't need a picture. Of course it can be a problem. Although it seems to make sense to put the cable stops on the HT, it does place the stop very close to the brake lever arm.

Those mounted on the DT don't have that problem, but cable rub on the HT can be an issue. Some frames solve that with permanently mounted cable guides on the HT. My LOOK frames have the cable guides, but the cable stops are tucked under the downtube and there is no room for cable adjusters. That sucks.

-dustin
04-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Have that problem on one of my bikes. It bugs me so much that I'm considering having them chopped off and moved to the downtube.

NHAero
04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I had that issue with the HT mounted stops on the Concours Ti. One $$$ solution is Zero Gravity brakes, because the brake arm doesn't come near the shift cables, unlike the Ultegra calipers.

alancw3
04-13-2009, 06:31 AM
sorry i don't have a pic. more of a general question. actually what i was referring to was the routing of the rear shifter cable housing t o the brifter that then hits the front brake caliber cable close to the caliber arm (when turning the bar) creating undo pressure in the caliber. if the caliber is not tightened super tight this pressure will actually move the caliber centering. conversely when the stop is mounted on the downtube there is more play because of the additional length between stop and caliber cable and arm. and yes i am referring to shimano dura ace and ultega. not sure if it would be a problem with campy cable routing.

bhungerford
04-13-2009, 07:56 AM
have HT mounted on my CDA with 7800 DA, and don't have a problem, guess I have the cable length correct. :p

David Kirk
04-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Here's one way to handle it -

Cross the derailleur cables in front of the head tube. In other words set it up so that the rear derailleur cable goes into the adjuster on the non-drive side of the bike and the front cable going on the drive side. Then re-cross them again under the down tube before they get to the BB.

It seems like this would cause a problem but it works very well and will give extra room near the brake arm.

dave

mister
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
davidson prefers to put the stops on the downtube.
said that he's noticed problems with housing splitting with the stops on the lug.

bagochips3
04-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Here's one way to handle it -

Cross the derailleur cables in front of the head tube. In other words set it up so that the rear derailleur cable goes into the adjuster on the non-drive side of the bike and the front cable going on the drive side. Then re-cross them again under the down tube before they get to the BB.

It seems like this would cause a problem but it works very well and will give extra room near the brake arm.

dave

+1. I think Seldon Brown recommended this as well. This is what I do and it works very well (on my Fierte).

For my Major Jake, the position of the stops, size of the down tube, and position of the bottom bracket cable guide mean that the cables would touch the down tube if I did this, though. I would cross the cables if I could -- even though it has canti brakes -- just because I prefer how the cables "flow" from handlebars to stops when crossing them.

JD Smith
04-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I had a reoccurring problem with a 1998 Torelli Countach OS frame that had head tube mounted stops. Using Campy shifters made for a short stiff housing length from where they exited the bar tape to the stops. Because the housing length was short, it put a lot of stress on the threaded portion of the stops and they'd snap off.

alancw3
04-14-2009, 06:22 AM
thanks for the suggestions. i will try crossing the cables.

Blue Jays
04-14-2009, 07:38 AM
HT mounting reduces cable-rub on the painted finish.