PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on this used Serotta if you have a minute...

mikemets
01-13-2004, 08:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3651802689&category=7298&rd=1

I know the auction has ended, but I have an opportuntiy to buy this if I want.

I'm looking for a second ride to compliment my Calfee.

Thanks,
Mike

vaxn8r
01-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Funny, I am waiting (still) for my Calfee to compliment my Serotta Atlanta.

I like the Atlanta, which I would assume would be a very similar bike to the CIII. My Atlanta came with a relatively heavy, though bombproof, set of DA/Mavic CXP 30. I'd like to try a non aero set of wheels because this set-up makes the ride a bit harsh. But the bike handles well and feels good. It fits which is most important.

If the price is right....looks like a nice set-up. Being a Carbon fan, I don't think you'll ever like it over your Calfee but it's fun to have some different options to ride.

dbrk
01-13-2004, 10:04 PM
mikemetspal,
I'll only say this once: this bike is too small for you. I've seen your Calfee and I know you like it a bunch. IF I were you, I'd aim more for a 58cm Atlanta.

As for the Atlanta, I think it is about 100% of the ride of the CSi but about 80% of the finish. The seatcluster is not comparable to the fine work on the CSi, but it is nonetheless a lovely bike. The tubes are great. Weight? I dunno, all of my Atlantas and CSi seem to weigh about the same, give or take a pound. It's in rotational weight if you think that matters. I tend not to care, as you know. But it's a nice bike, no doubt. Just a bit too small....:-) (none of those icon things for me, nope...never.)

yerpal, dbrk

Saxon
01-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Come'on dbrk.... Just one banana...
Everyone else is doing it....
:banana:
Ouch!
See, that didn't hurt a bit
:banana: :banana:
What the...
:banana: :banana: :banana:
AHHH! MAKE THEM STOP!!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sandy
01-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Mike.

The Atlanta and Colorado III are similar, but certainly different. The Atlanta is a lugged steel bike whereas the Colorado III is tig welded. The Atlanta and CSi had different tubing, whereas the Colorado III and the CSi have the same tubing,with the exception of the top tube, if I am correct (think that I am). I have ridden the Atlanta and the CSi (which I own), and both bikes are great, but the CSi (to me) is certainly more responsive to pedal imput, and has a little better ride quality. The Colorado III is suppose to be almost identical to the CSi in ride characteristics.

Perhaps the picture is somewhat shaded, but the drivetrain does not look that clean and perhaps I see some wear on the surface of the crank arms, if my old eyes are working correctly. The same goes for the wheels. A little surprising from someone who has worked at a shop for years. I would want to know if the frame was treated with a rust inhibitor, and how often. Has it been raced or crashed? Can you test ride it, if you are close. How do you know if the bike will even fit you. Serotta bikes are measured c-c. What are the dimensions of the bike? Standard geometry?

If I am looking at the picture correctly, it appears that the steerer tube has been cut and that there are no spacers on top, so that you will be limited in the future for handlebar changes.

If you are not absolutely sure that the bike will fit you, then you are wasting your time.

The Colorado III, in my opinion, is the best buy in the Serotta lineup, basically the equal of the CSi. The components seem to be excellent. How old are they? Original? How many miles? How many miles on the bike? Steel bikes do not retain their value like titanium bikes.

The seller seems to have a splendid Ebay record.

If you buy the Serotta, what will you do with your Calfee? Give it away??? Just kidding. I hope this potential purchase is not simply a ploy by you and that Calfee Kevan critter in some attempt in infiltrating and eventually taking control of Serotta Land!

Still Serottta Sandy

Sandy
01-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Don't blame me, blame Saxon!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

SBash
01-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Size is the most important no matter how good the price is. I personally go right along with dbrk's SIZE UP theory, have moved up from 57 and 58 cm frames to 60 to 61 cm with very little drop from the saddle to the bar/hoods and ride the drops much more now with comfort. The top tube & head tube I are the most important standover issue is a bunch of BS as long as you have some. I know how hard it is to pass up a great deal thinking I can make this fit but it doesn't work to good. Been there-done that!

SB

dnovo
01-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Actually, as an avid browser of ebay (and a sometimes buyer) there are more Serottas popping up than you would imagine at first blush. So, if it 'don't fit, don't bid'. This one didn't make the buyers reserve, as I suspect he wants more than it is worth and, while a nice bike, nothing that should get you to buy if the size and the final price isn't to your liking. Dave N.

Kevan
01-14-2004, 06:39 AM
talk him out of it. I don't think I could withstand the stable envy.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Damn how'd that happen?!

dnovo
01-14-2004, 06:50 AM
No, Kevan, talk him out of it if it doesn't fit, not because he wants a CIII. There are a fair number of those great bikes around, but buying one in the wrong size is no deal. Dave N.

Sandy
01-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Kevs,

Unfortunately you already have a stable- Two pugs and a mule! A Serotta would add the thoroughbred racehorse that both you and Mike NEED! I guess you think I live in a stable and I am the Jackass.

Neigh, neigh, neigh,.....

So Swift So Supersonic So STill Serotta Sandy

mikemets
01-14-2004, 06:52 AM
BTW, dbrk...thanks, and this is a little bigger than my current ride. This is 2 cm taller in the ST, and 1 cm longer in the TT.

I'm probably not going to go for it as I would prefer 10 spd, 42 bars and a 172.5 crank.

Mike my name is Joe, Larry's son, I was the principle user of the bike, but gave it to my dad and he didn't use it so we're selling it. I do not know the exact mileage on the Frame and fork but I would estimate it to be under 500 miles. My first Serotta lost a t-bone collision with a Ford Tempo (no parts on this bike were on that one), by the time insurance got around to paying me I was already sponsored by Cannondale, so this bike has not seen much more than a few Sunday long rides. I have never raced or crashed this frame. Aside from a little cable rub love it is in perfect shape.

The fork is a kinesis ems carbon. Its not the lightest carbon fork out there, but it is stable and very shock absorbant.

The wheelset is Campy Record Hubs laced to open pro rims 3x.

Right now I have a Zepp XL 110 stem on there that is a zero degree rise. I also have a Ritchey WCS 120 with a 10 degree rise that I could swap out for you if you like.

The reserve for the auction was set at $1200, but my dad said he would sell it for $1000.

Lastly, I cannot emphasis enough the pleasure of riding this bike. I'm a racer dude and I know the whole light stiff mantra, but if this bike wasn't just a little to small for me now, and if I didn't get most of my stuff for free. This bike would not be for sale. I've thrown my leg over pretty much everything out there, and this bike is the best. You will love it.

Thanks,

joe

Sandy
01-14-2004, 06:54 AM
Kevan,

We need Spring to arrive. We need sunshine and warmth. We need another bigger and even better Calfee Kevan/Sandy ride. We need it soon, and we need more than one of those critters. We need it often. We need :banana: .

Sandy

Kevan
01-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Guys, while purchasing a bike without throwing a leg over it is always a risk, I know Mikemets has given his sizing a great deal of consideration and takes your comments to heart. He's certainly taking his time finding just the right steed and size and he's doing a great job teasing me with his hunt.

Sans, I will definitely see you in the Spring time and will most certainly bring Mikemets down there so you can see just how fast a Calfee CAN really go, especially up hill. BBD has been in touch with me about doing a Westchester county fling which I would certainly entertain. I have some ideas about that we can explore in greater depth later. Maybe we can wrap a May weekend around an organized ride done here locally called the Bloomin' Metric, which is a beautiful, wonderfully supported, ride. BBD and I have certain dates to consider so more on that later. But it is our hope that this area might be central enough to get people from the mid-Atlantic and New England to meet. I'll start working on this pronto.

So Sans, from pugs and mules to friends and lugs to drool over, we will meet and give the mongers something to gossip about. Such warm wonderful thoughts on such a cold...cold day.

I'm willing to bet Mikemets is riding in our 10 degree weather as I write.

Sandy
01-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Kevan,

Please watch out for the Bee Man. He invited me to go on a Westchester County fling. It got naked, ugly, and led to a few months of jail time for both of us. Beware BBD.

The felon,

Sandy

Kevan
01-14-2004, 09:18 AM
then I need to find out what saddles youse guys use.

No problem with you two nudies, I'll just make it a point to ride off the front. Should there be any chance that either of you could pass me, it would most likely be BBD and I think I might be able to tolerate that view as opposed to the alternative.

You can expect me to ride like Tyler when he had his TdF stage win this year. I just have to avoid flatting out. Otherwise, I'm sure to experience something worse than any broken collar bone.

djg
01-14-2004, 09:51 AM
I cannot speak to your ideal fit--which I'd take to be a very important issue--and I have nothing but the text and somewhat dark pictures to go by in judging the condition of the bike. But I'm surprised folks have been so negative. There's nothing shabby or out-of-date about a CIII--a first rate steel frame--and Chorus 9--if it's in good shape--is very nice gear. A grand seems like a real good deal to me if the bike is as advertised.

mikemets
01-14-2004, 08:33 PM
This is part of my email back to the seller and his response. If $1K would land the entire package, how much should it go for as offered?

Hi Joe,
I would want to make the following changes, and have to factor in the costs:
172.5 crank
42 bars
chg the right shifter to 10 spd.
Ritchey WCS 120 with a 10 degree rise (would want this)

I do like the idea of adding a steel Serotta to compliment my Calfee.

Mike, Joe here once again, if you like make me an offer on the frame, fork, headset, wheelset w/ rubber, cassette (it's 9spd so I don't know how much use it will be to you), left shifter, seatpost, seat, brake calipers and front and rear derailluer, stem (WCS), chain. This would basically leave you with bottom bracket, bar, tape, and right shifter plus some cable and housing to replace. It would be a project, but tell me how much that package would be worth to you if anything and maybe we can still get you a kick ass steel bike.

Thanks,

Joe

P.S. If you've got to ride carbon at least you've got the coolest one out there. Which model of Calfee do you have? How about a straight up trade??? Just kidding. Either way take care and enjoy your days.

vaxn8r
01-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Mike,

I can see wanting to swap out the crank but I don't think it's worth it to switch up to a 10 speed. What's wrong with 9 speed? It already comes with cassette, wheels and ready to ride for a grand. You're going to spend about another $500 to make it right for you. In that case, it's just not that good of a deal anymore.

If 10 sp. is that important than I'd wait around and keep shopping. But if this bike fits, I'd take it for a grand and find a used chorus or record 172.5 crank. Somebody on this list has to have one sitting on his work bench (having upgraded to carbon fiber of course).

I'm not sure its the "perfect" bike for you. I'll bet if you wait around you'll find it. But, IMO, this bike, as is (excluding crank), would be close enough. It IS a good deal.

You are going to like this bike....but you are not going to ride it/like it more than your Calfee. I'm fairly certain of this. Take it for what it is and don't upgrade too much. Just enjoy.

Blastinbob
01-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Mike, what size is your Luna-pro ?

email me @ blastinbob@aol.com

mikemets
01-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by mikemets
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3651802689&category=7298&rd=1

I know the auction has ended, but I have an opportuntiy to buy this if I want.

I'm looking for a second ride to compliment my Calfee.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks all, ended up getting this bike !
Paid $900 and got 2 cassettes and 2 F/Ds
I look forward to my first ride.

Mike

mikemets
01-31-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by mikemets
Thanks all, ended up getting this bike !
Paid $900 and got 2 cassettes and 2 F/Ds
I look forward to my first ride.

Mike

Well, what an ordeal this turned out to be. When I got the bike we found out that it was actually an 8 spd bike. After many discussions with the seller I decided to keep it at a much reduced cost, and it will makes its maiden ride (for me) today.

I'm looking forward to it as the geometry looks to be very different from the Calfee, especially the angle of the head tube!

C'mon sun, melt some more ice!!!!

Blastinbob
01-31-2004, 08:43 AM
The guy's a cat 2 "AND" worked in a bike shop for 5 years but still doesn't know the difference between 8 and 9 speed.

You will enjoy the more stable geometry !
:D

Bob

Keith A
01-31-2004, 01:45 PM
You're right Blastinbob! How do you work in a shop for 5 years, race as a Cat 2 and not realize this was an 8 speed. Especially if you go to the trouble of posting all the other specs on the bike in your eBay auction.

mikemets
02-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Well I had a lot of fun this weekend. Not sure how to compare the CIII to my Calfee as they are so different, but I smiled the whole time.

I look forward to my next ride on the CIII, and think I will be more than happy with this as my Winter/commuter/trainer bike.

As I said, their are so many differnces in both the bike and the components that all I'll say is that I'm thrilled to have two different rides, both thoroughly enjoyable.