PDA

View Full Version : new Bleriot, no bolt on under bb cable guide...

eddief
04-12-2009, 11:13 AM
just has channels molded into the steel.

For smooth shifting, do I recall someone suggesting having the gear cable run through a small piece of sleeve under the bb? Will the sleeve stay in place? Does this make the shifting smoother?

dave thompson
04-12-2009, 11:18 AM
just has channels molded into the steel.

For smooth shifting, do I recall someone suggesting having the gear cable run through a small piece of sleeve under the bb? Will the sleeve stay in place? Does this make the shifting smoother?
The cable/sleeve should stay in place. It won't necessarily make the shifting much smoother, unless the channel is rough, but it will prevent the cable from eventually wearing through the paint.

TMB
04-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Here's a Q on this subject.

Anyone know where to lay hands on this sleeve material?

If I had known it would become hard to find I would of saved it off all the vintage bikes over the years.

harryschwartzma
04-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Actually it's new. Get some teflon inner liner, they didn't have it 'back in the day' but they should have.

Minstrie
04-12-2009, 12:21 PM
My LBS gave me a roll of the stuff-not teflon lined, just plastic sleeve. I'll mail you some if you want. Weird good shop, I buy frames from builders, components online, and the shop still gives me small stuff, and has pulled a couple of fork races, and rethreaded some old Italian threaded steerers, all for free. I have to insist on paying, then it's a few bucks max. I try to steer newbs their direction, but am not so good at that as the last newb ended up with a Strong custom for a first frame in spite of my recommendation.... My new Strong's off for paint, BTW.
Minstrie.

eddief
04-12-2009, 12:22 PM
to take a blade to some normal gear housing and to dissect the inner liner out of it to make the sleeve.

harryschwartzma
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Any bike shop should have the stuff, it's a thin black tube, as above, i think the plastic is somehow impregnated with Teflon.

No need to dissect housing.

Minstrie
04-12-2009, 12:26 PM
to take a blade to some normal gear housing and to dissect the inner liner out of it to make the sleeve.

There's the ticket! I knew I there had to be a reason for keeping housing cuttings around. Thanks for another excuse to be a packrat.

Minstrie