PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dog eats baby goats, survives on remote island

William
04-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Just goes to show how resilient dogs are...and that there's still a little "wild" left in them.

Dog eats baby goats, survives on remote island
A pet Australian cattle dog swam to shore after going overboard

By Michael Inbar
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 11:04 a.m. ET, Tues., April 7, 2009
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30088069?GT1=43001

Australian cattle dog Sophie Tucker spent her life as a pampered house pet, but when the going got rough, showed mettle that could put her human counterparts on “Survivor” to shame.

The plucky pooch was separated from her owners when she fell overboard in choppy waters, but swam five miles to an island, surviving on a diet of wild goats for four months until miraculously being reunited with her family.

“She surprised us all,” ecstatic owner Jan Griffith told the National Australian Associated Press News Agency. “She was a house dog and look what’s she done, she’s swum over five nautical miles, she’s managed to live off the land all on her own. We wish she could talk, we really do.”

Sophie’s mind-boggling survival story, chronicled on TODAY Tuesday, began as Jan and husband Dave took their pet along for a sailing trip off the coast of Australia last November. When the sea grew rough, Sophie dropped into the water.

“We searched well over an hour,” Jan Griffith told the Brisbane Times. “We thought once she hit the water she would have been gone because the wake from the boat was so big.”

Not so. Sophie — named after the bawdy American vaudeville entertainer — dog-paddled her way to the remote island of St. Bees, in Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. The island, largely bereft of humans, is known for its koala bear population, but island rangers were taken aback by the sight of a seemingly wild dog in their midst.

Griffith said she was told Sophie looked thin and mangy when first spotted, but told the AAP “all of the sudden she started to look good and it was when the rangers had found baby goat carcasses, so she started eating baby goats.”

Becoming wild in the wild
The family’s inside dog underwent a fundamental personality change to survive in the great outdoors. “She had become quite wild and vicious,” Griffith told the Brisbane Times. “She wouldn’t let anyone go near her or touch her. She wouldn’t take food from anybody.”

After four months, rangers finally managed to trap the dog. And when news broke that a wild dog had been captured on St. Bees, the Griffiths met up with a ranger’s boat bringing Sophie back to Australia’s mainland — and saw, it was indeed Sophie in tow.

The story of reuniting is one for the ages. “She’d been ferocious in the trap, but we called her and she started whimpering and crying, and so did everybody,” Griffith told NBC News.

“They let her out [of the cage] and she just about flattened us,” Griffith told the AAP. “She wriggled around like a mad thing.”

Sophie not only showed amazing adaptability living in the wild, but returning to domestic life — the Griffiths reported the dog’s transition to house dog once again has been seamless.

The dog’s survival story has even animal experts scratching their heads. Australian veterinarian Vicki Lomax told the Brisbane Times that Sophie’s is a hardy breed, but virtually no dog would have been likely to survive what she went through.

“Cattle dogs are probably the most suited type of dog to survive something like this, but it would have been a major ordeal for her,” Lomax said. “Five nautical miles is an incredibly big distance for any type of dog … she is lucky she wasn’t taken by a shark.”

Onno
04-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I saw this story earlier in the week. Truly amazing. Indeed, I thought it was a hoax at first. Dogs are remarkably adaptable, this one especially.

Louis
04-11-2009, 01:25 PM
...and that there's still a little "wild" left in them.

"Lord of the Flies" canine version.

Sandy
04-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Couple of key words have alrady been used- One by William- resilient, and one by Onno- adaptable. Add to that Australian Cattle Dog and I can understand how Sophie managed. In handling and observing dogs at my local shelters I learned how amazingly resilient dogs are. The can be grossly and horrendously treated and they seem to have a remarkable ability to bounce back. Although they often show some temporary or lasting scars of past treatment and stresses, they do seem to be remarkably resilient, probably more so than humans, I believe. They often bounce back remarkably fast. In addition, they really seem to be able to adapt to whatever conditions they face, even if they are not ideal for them. Again, it is not easy for some, but they do seem to be able to adapt very quickly.

An Australian Cattle Dog, one of the herding breeds, always impressed me as being an exceptionally bright dog with a brain that was always, and I mean always, engaged . Australian Cattle Dogs seem to be genuinely aware of all that is going on in their environment. Nothing seems to get by them. They are totally aware, and are great thinkers. Look at the eyes/face/postures/movements of an Australian Cattle Dog and it almost appears as if you can tell the "cogs in his or her brain" are meshing and moving smoothly and efficiently. They seem to anticipate, something that some animal behaviorists probably don't think they are capable of.

I remember one Cattle Dog at the shelter vividly as he (or she) seemed to observe me with intense focus, watched what I was doing, anticipated what I was going to do next, and then readied himself- I was leaving the shelter and had two biscuits left. So I took one and threw it over the top of some cages and it dropped down into a cage where a dog saw it and ate it. The Australian Cattle Dog watched the entire episode intently. As I rotated my body towards the direction of the Cattle Dog to throw my last biscuit, he rotated his body to get into position, watched me toss the biscuit over the cages, looked up to see if it was coming to hm (it did) and quickly went to it and ate it as soon as it dropped into his cage. I don't think many other breeds would be able to do that.

Australian Cattle Dogs are very hardy, agile, strong, focused, determined, athletic, and exceptionally intelligent. I could see that breed surviving. What is a little surprising to me is that herding dogs herd animals and do not kill them. (I know that my pit bull terrier will chase little critters with the intent to not only catch them, but to kill them too.) I guess Sophie got so hungry that she decided to figure out what to do next- kill the goats and eat them.

Glad she made it back home!!

Sandy

merlinmurph
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I've got a similar story.

In April 2001, my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I went to Belize. Four days of the trip were spent on a very small island on Glover's Reef, about 20 miles from the mainland. When I say small, I mean really small. You could walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes - tops.

The guides had a dog on the island named Princess. She was a very cool dog, very smart, and definitely had a wild edge to her. The only people she'd let pet her were the guides. I tried to befriend her numerous times, being very patient, but she'd always back away. Then the guides told us her story.

At the end of a recent tourist season, the guides were packing everything up to leave the island until the next season. They're getting in the boats, calling Princess in, and she wouldn't. They chased her, but didn't have a prayer, and as much as they hated to do it, they left her on the island. They had no choice.

So, they come back the next season, and there's Princess. Their guess was that she lived off the rats that lived on the island. There were definitely rats on the island because we found gnaw marks on a coconut we had in our tent. This was one tough pup.