PDA

View Full Version : Paris-Roubaix winner?

thwart
04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Has Boonen been 'saving it' this Spring for a repeat at P-R?

Is it finally George's turn?

Pozzato?

And... how will you work around Easter services to watch the race? ;)

sevencyclist
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Flecha is due to do something good.

johnnymossville
04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm gonna go with Devolder. I should've picked him for Flanders.

runtimmyc
04-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Boonen is the easy pick. That is why I'm picking Boonen.

MattTuck
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Excuse the ignorance of this question. I am a casual follower of pro racing... but don't follow it religously.

Does George Hincapie really have a shot at winning one of these classics? The way the American media portrays it, he's just the unluckiest guy on the face of the earth, atleast when it comes to classics....

If I look at the way other Americans are portrayed on Vs., I just question if it is bias, or if they think he is a serious contender.

Thanks.

chakatrain
04-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Dream podium:

1. Hincapie
2. Flecha
3. Boonen

Hincapie pulls away from the (now whittled down) group ~50K to go; Flecha manages to catch his wheel and pulls through every so often. Hincapie outsprints Flecha for the win. Boonen outsprints everyone else for best of the rest.

Realistic:

1. Pozzato
2. Boonen
3. Haussler

Michael Maddox
04-10-2009, 01:42 PM
While I think George certainly needs one, I'm gonna go Pozzato, too. Tom has been lazy (even though I luvs him), I'm afraid, and I don't think George has it in him.

Oops! I forgot to mention Flecha. While he's been a bit out of sight, last week's third might show him coming to form this week. I wonder if he's simply peaking?

jhcakilmer
04-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Cancellara is definitely my pick, he seems very motivated, and knows what it takes to win.

I'd love to see George win also, but I don't think it'll will happen, or maybe I just don't want to get my hopes up.

johnnymossville
04-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Excuse the ignorance of this question. I am a casual follower of pro racing... but don't follow it religously.

Does George Hincapie really have a shot at winning one of these classics? The way the American media portrays it, he's just the unluckiest guy on the face of the earth, atleast when it comes to classics....

If I look at the way other Americans are portrayed on Vs., I just question if it is bias, or if they think he is a serious contender.

Thanks.

He VERY nearly won it twice already, even with some bad luck thrown in. He is definitely a legitimate threat to win it no matter which country he's from. He's getting on in years so the chance is diminishing, but he's a true Classics Hard Man. I have no doubt about that.

Bias? Of course there's some bias, he's American, it's an American Cable Channel so what would you expect?

Steve in SLO
04-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Go Georgie, Go!

GuyGadois
04-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I am going with the Badger. He wins it every time he does it.

-GG-

GuyGadois
04-10-2009, 02:08 PM
ok, seriously, I am going with Martijn Maaskant.

JohnHemlock
04-10-2009, 03:31 PM
If George wins, I will purchase and wear a pair of the atrocious jeans for sale on his website!

regularguy412
04-10-2009, 04:06 PM
OK. My sentimental fav is George. I watched him in person at the Tour of Missouri TT in '07 and he's pretty impressive. However, I'll go way out on a limb with a true dark horse: Voigt. I mean if Duclos-Lasalle can do it, Jens can. Gotta give us old farts some hope.

Mike in AR:beer:

Marcusaurelius
04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
I want George to win of course but I think Tom will also might have a chance--albeit a slim one (I think this might finally be George's year).

BdaGhisallo
04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I am going with the Badger. He wins it every time he does it.

-GG-

It's a myth that Hinault only rode Roubaix until he won it and then never again, in order to demonstrate his belief in its absurdity.

In fact, in 1982, the year after he won it while wearing the rainbow jersey, he finished ninth in Paris-Roubaix, at 37secs, coming last in a group of five sprinting for fifth place. He was outsprinted by four belgians.

paczki
04-11-2009, 07:53 AM
ok, seriously, I am going with Martijn Maaskant.

Good prediction but the team isn't strong (for Classics). Possible, but Boonen, GH or Spartacus seem most likely.
I have to go with Boonen because of the way that they played the trifecta so perfectly in the Ronde and I don't see anyone outsprinting him but Pozzato. If Pozzato sucks his wheel than they can play DeVolder and Chavanel (both of whom can TT away if a gap forms). If there's a lot of jockeying this will open it up for Spartacus as well to get the kind of gap he needs to win. Columbia will be willing to die to get GH the jersey and he can TT and sprint. So any of these seem likely to me.

toaster
04-11-2009, 08:33 AM
I've thought it was George's year once, or twice. I don't anymore.