PDA

View Full Version : shimano 10 speed cassette question

madbiker
12-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Will a 10 speed cassette work on a 7700 rear 9 speed freehub (yes, 7700, not 7701, 7702, etc.).
thx!

Sandy
12-20-2004, 02:22 PM
A 10 speed Dura-Ace cassette will work on a 7700 rear 9 speed freehub. I assume that the Ultegra 10 speed would be compatible also. I used the above setup on my wheels, which were 9 speed Dura-Ace, on my 10 speed Ottrott, until I got wheels for the new bike.

Sandy

PS- madbiker- Are you really mad, or are you just angry, or are you just mad about biking, or some combination of them??

madbiker
12-20-2004, 02:45 PM
A 10 speed Dura-Ace cassette will work on a 7700 rear 9 speed freehub. I assume that the Ultegra 10 speed would be compatible also. I used the above setup on my wheels, which were 9 speed Dura-Ace, on my 10 speed Ottrott, until I got wheels for the new bike.

Sandy

PS- madbiker- Are you really mad, or are you just angry, or are you just mad about biking, or some combination of them??

thx bro, we cool now, I not mad at you no mo.. :D

Serotta PETE
12-20-2004, 03:41 PM
I even have some Mavic hubs from the 90s that the 10speed casette works on. They are now my winter wheels.

PETE

coylifut
12-20-2004, 04:01 PM
It's probably useless information, but a Shimano 10 speed cassette will work on the old 7 speed free hubs without a spacer. Bet you could find some cheap 7 speed wheels on ebay to use on the trainer and to throw in the wheel car.

dirtdigger88
12-20-2004, 04:02 PM
but can you explain why I could not get a 12- 27 DA 10 to fit my Chris king hubs? My 11-23 and my 12-25 work fine- but the 12- 27 seem to be wider and it does not leave enough teeth to get a bit. Of course I have no idea why a stud like me would ever even consider a 12- 27 :eek:

jason

Satellite
12-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Jason,

I am not a stud so I need the 12-27 DA 10 speed cassette, and it fit on my Chris King Hub with no problems. I know this didn't help much but with out the components in front of me I can't offer any explanations.

Best Regards,

Satellite

dirtdigger88
12-20-2004, 05:20 PM
I tried to put one on before I went the the TdFL this year- all the talk of the hills had me scared. The shop tried three different cassettes (12- 27) an none would allow us to get enough bite on the threads. Like I said- I have never had a problem with any other size cassette? Strange? by the way- don't take the stud comment to literally ;)

jason

Jeff N.
12-20-2004, 06:05 PM
I tried to put one on before I went the the TdFL this year- all the talk of the hills had me scared. The shop tried three different cassettes (12- 27) an none would allow us to get enough bite on the threads. Like I said- I have never had a problem with any other size cassette? Strange? by the way- don't take the stud comment to literally ;)

jasonI'm assuming you used the supplied spacer. If so, try leaving it off. If you already have, please disregard. Jeff N.

dirtdigger88
12-20-2004, 06:48 PM
did that- done that the only way we could get the lock ring to bite was to remove the entire spacer- then of course the casette was in the spokes. There were three of Big Sharks best wrenches looking at it- I finally said the heck with it and put the 12-25 back on

jason

Jeff N.
12-20-2004, 06:53 PM
did that- done that the only way we could get the lock ring to bite was to remove the entire spacer- then of course the casette was in the spokes. There were three of Big Sharks best wrenches looking at it- I finally said the heck with it and put the 12-25 back on

jasonHmmm...you got ME, brotha. :confused: Jeff N.

12-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Various people have reported problems getting enough threads to bite on the lockring with Chris King hubs. There is high precision in the cassette dimensions and any bit of dirt in the way will prevent the cogs and spiders from seating properly. That's usually the problem. But also there are manufacturing dimensional variances in the King freehubs which may be more the issue here -- not a big problem, but something to deal with. (If you weren't aware, your bearing sets and your freehub shell itself are picked one at a time to match dimensional variances on the hub and axle itself. Your rear axle and your freehub will both have a number that indicates the variance and both numbers need to match. This is King's method of attaining high tolerance without having individual pieces spec'd so precisely that they would be prohibitively expensive to manufacture.)

Chris King offers a long-threaded lockring that you can use instead of the one supplied by Shimano, just in case you have problems such as you describe. It isn't offered on their website -- you have to call and ask for it by phone (800-523-6008). They offer it in two versions -- an aluminum one and a very snazzy titanium one. Shimano actually recommends the aluminum one unless you are using one of their stainless steel freehub shells (another item you have to ask for by phone -- it lasts a lot longer with the 10-speed cassettes than the aluminum freehub shell does for not much sacrifice in weight).

Even though I sometimes have had spacing issues and sometimes not, shifting doesn't seem affected, so go figure. All the dimensional variance must be around the lockring.

Jeff N.
12-21-2004, 08:36 AM
11.4: Thats very, very interesting to know, man. Thanks very much. Although I've never had problems with my King hubs-in this or any other regard-its good to have this information in case I ever do. As with Dirtdiggers problem, my next suggestion would've been to call Chris King and find out whazzup. It still is...if he still feels the need for a 27T. I've bought spacers from them on the phone, of various sizes and colors, with a credit card, and they ship VERY promptly. Jeff N.

dirtdigger88
12-21-2004, 08:48 AM
11.4 thanks for the info

As for the 12-27- I survived the TdFL with minimal problems so I think I will be ok without the larger cassette. As always though- throw out a question and someone here will know the answer

Jason