PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 10sp bar-ends as downtube shifters

fixednwinter
04-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi all;

I have a new frame coming in from Hampsten Cycles which I have a Campag 10sp group stashed away to use. That new frame will use the usual Ergo brake/shift levers.

I have an old school Merckx MX Leader that also has Campagnolo 10sp with Ergo levers. With the Hampsten coming in, I want to differentiate my MXL a bit as a riding experience. The MXL was fabricated in the '90's so it still has downtube bosses (as per pre-build pic).

I want to stay with Campag 10sp and I know their bar-ends can be converted for downtube use. My understanding is that the main part that has to be created or appropriated is a cable/lever stop plate that fits on the boss.

Is this accurate info or do I need to something else to convert?

Can I use an old school Campag plate (I have one from the rare Super Record Frizione Differenzia or retrofriction levers, with its larger barrel)?

Or do I have to get one machined to match the large diameter of the 10sp bar-ends?

Ken Robb
04-09-2009, 09:57 AM
If the all-Campy becomes too difficult to rig you might use Dura Ace DT shifters with a jTek Shiftmate at the rear derailer?

fixednwinter
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
If the all-Campy becomes too difficult to rig you might use Dura Ace DT shifters with a jTek Shiftmate at the rear derailer?

Hmm, good call - didn't think about that. Last year, when I set up the Merckx, I was actually using the jTek for the first half year or so until I got Campag freehubs. Campag 10sp Ergo levers & derailleur going to a Shimano 10sp cassette. It was quite smooth and trouble-free.

dookie
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
the last gen 8s record downtube levers (curved, with a cable tension adjuster on the lever) can be converted using a $10 index ring from the bar ends.

they can be popular. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320345907337) then again, i've seen them sell for $25.

max_powers
04-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I would use bar-end shifters, that would be a different experience!

I recall use (mine and others) of bar-ends on our 'crit' bikes in the 80's and early 90's, theory of less hand movement for quicker and safer shifting. usually just the right shifter.

fixednwinter
04-09-2009, 12:37 PM
dookie: thanks for the link. The pic with all the parts separated is informative. Yeah, crazy price on the bidding wars.

max_powers: yup, I still use a bar-con shifter on one of my current bikes - a cheap Ridley (bottom of the line Crossbow), with a single bar-con for the r/der (I use a single ring up front with double guards for cross).

I haven't raced with a license since '89, and I remember my final set-up was indeed a single bar-con for the rear, dt shifter for the front. I think I was using Shimano 600 indexed at the time.

dookie
04-09-2009, 01:38 PM
check the Q/A at the bottom of the previos link for some specific part numbers & references to the campy spare parts diagrams from campagnolo.com

fixednwinter
04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks dookie, I didn't see that Q/A before. I saved the answers, very helpful.

keevon
04-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I was obsessed with the idea of converting some Campy DT shifters to 10 speed for a while... then I got over it.

What you want are the last-generation downtube shifters with 3 g-springs. They are easily identified by the black ring on the inside of the rear shifter. As previously stated, it's just a matter of swapping out the index ring from 8 speed to 10 speed.

There's the aforementioned Record DT shifter, but there was also a Veloce DT shifter from 1996 that has 3 g-springs:
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/spares96-B.pdf

I think Gothard has some converted 10 speed downtube shifters on one of his bikes. Also, there's a good blog posting about Syncro shifters here (including a view of the 3 g-spring version):
http://www.tearsforgears.com/2007/05/last-gasps-of-syncro.html

Good luck.

texbike
04-09-2009, 04:45 PM
I have an old school Merckx MX Leader that .......was fabricated in the '90's so it still has downtube bosses (as per pre-build pic).

Wow! Please post more pics of your bike. It's rare to see a MX Leader with chromed seatstays and headlugs! The TF paint scheme looks cool as well. Do you have the original fork for it?

Texbike

fixednwinter
04-09-2009, 06:04 PM
I was obsessed with the idea of converting some Campy DT shifters to 10 speed for a while... then I got over it.

What you want are the last-generation downtube shifters with 3 g-springs. They are easily identified by the black ring on the inside of the rear shifter. As previously stated, it's just a matter of swapping out the index ring from 8 speed to 10 speed.

Good luck.

Thanks for this. I had thought it was as simple as mating the stop plate with the bar-ends, but obviously I was wrong. Using the last-gen shifters with the swap sounds like the cleanest solution.

Louis
04-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I have a pair of 9-spd Campy DT shifters nearly identical to these on my DeRosa. I'm about to take them off to replace them with Shimano 9-spd to give me a greater variety of cassettes in back. The hand-feel of the Campy design is better than the Shimano, except for that ugly little adjustment knob on the right side. How many times have you wanted to adjust your rear-derailleur on the fly? Stopping and adjusting at the barrel-nut in back is good enough for me. Plus, unlike Shimano, they have no "Limp Home in Friction" mode.

I have no idea how much the 9-spds are going for on e-bay, but that auction is outrageous. Maybe in a few years I can auction mine off an retire...

http://www.cadre.org/bike_stuff/Campagnolo/Shifters/92-95/IMG_0681.JPG

fixednwinter
04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow! Please post more pics of your bike. It's rare to see a MX Leader with chromed seatstays and headlugs! The TF paint scheme looks cool as well. Do you have the original fork for it?

Texbike

Hi Texbike;

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, it's rare to find an MXL with an all-chrome rear triangle and front lugs - but check out the chromed fork crown (but not the blades) too. Except for this example, I've never seen that.

toomanybikes has the companion Corsa Extra version to this bike - same paint scheme, same chrome on the frame, and his fork is fully chrome. (tmb, please correct me if I'm wrong on this)

You refer to the paint scheme as TF? What does TF stand for? I assumed this paint scheme might've been an evolution of the Weinmann team colours after '92 from the tearsforgears.com blog, but I actually have no idea what team used this colour.

And thank you for calling the colours cool! I posted these pics across the hall and some people reacted with pain to the the rather loud colours :)

Setup -
Campag 10sp
Chorus - pre-QS levers, pre-skeleton calipers, RD
Record - FD, 2006 hubs, BB cups
Centaur - Compact cranks 170mm
Nuovo Record - post
Cinelli Pinococchio stem, Deda Deep bars
Regal Ti saddle
Open Pro rims, DT butted spokes, Open Pave CG tires
Crank Bros. Quattro SL pedals

sw3759
04-10-2009, 01:59 AM
i think they called that paint scheme "tutti fruiti" if i recall correctly..hence the "TF" reference i assume.don't think any team(s) ever used that color combo.i may be wrong on that

Scott

fixednwinter
04-10-2009, 05:48 AM
No wonder my bike is so ugly :)

Still, it's kind of like a really ugly dog - after a year or so, the affection grows.

texbike
04-10-2009, 08:03 AM
i think they called that paint scheme "tutti fruiti" if i recall correctly..hence the "TF" reference i assume.don't think any team(s) ever used that color combo.i may be wrong on that

Scott

Yes, TF=Tutti Fruiti.

The chrome fork crown IS cool! It may be the first one that I have seen on a MXL.

As for the color combo, it is a bit ugly, but in a cool way. :) I love it and wouldn't have a problem riding it!

Texbike

Matt Barkley
04-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Tom Jelmyer converted my 9 spd Campy DTs to 10 Speed with Campy 10 speed Bar End swap. You can see pic's of the build on my Pego Duende in the custom gallery. Worked great. Cheers - Matt

fixednwinter
04-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Tom Jelmyer converted my 9 spd Campy DTs to 10 Speed with Campy 10 speed Bar End swap. You can see pic's of the build on my Pego Duende in the custom gallery. Worked great. Cheers - Matt

Matt, thanks for that. LOVED the build pics with the DT shifters. I forgot how clean a bike can look with those, especially when you paired them with the Record brake-only levers. Great Duende.

Also really liked your Respo too. I have a similar choice: the reason why I'm thinking of differentiating the Merckx with DT shifters is, like your Respo, my Hampsten coming in will use Ergo and the frame is also stainless steel.

It's an Independent Fabrication 953 stainless, with Steve's Classic Geometry. 57mm brakes, up to 30mm tires (will probably stick to 25mm to 28mm), 42cm stays, fenders if desired. Steve shipped it on Wednesday, I'll post pics when the frame and fork arrive.

TMB
04-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi Texbike;

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, it's rare to find an MXL with an all-chrome rear triangle and front lugs - but check out the chromed fork crown (but not the blades) too. Except for this example, I've never seen that.

toomanybikes has the companion Corsa Extra version to this bike - same paint scheme, same chrome on the frame, and his fork is fully chrome. (tmb, please correct me if I'm wrong on this)

You refer to the paint scheme as TF? What does TF stand for? I assumed this paint scheme might've been an evolution of the Weinmann team colours after '92 from the tearsforgears.com blog, but I actually have no idea what team used this colour.

And thank you for calling the colours cool! I posted these pics across the hall and some people reacted with pain to the the rather loud colours :)

Setup -
Campag 10sp
Chorus - pre-QS levers, pre-skeleton calipers, RD
Record - FD, 2006 hubs, BB cups
Centaur - Compact cranks 170mm
Nuovo Record - post
Cinelli Pinococchio stem, Deda Deep bars
Regal Ti saddle
Open Pro rims, DT butted spokes, Open Pave CG tires
Crank Bros. Quattro SL pedals

TF = Tutti Fruiti

And yes my fork is all chrome.

Echoing a comment above - my Strong travel bike is all Campag 10 speed except for the DT shifters which are Dura Ace - I use a Jtek in back.

I think my TF will be looking for a new home shortly as it just doesn't get ridden anymore, with the 2 Strongs in the garage, along with the Pegoretti - it just isn't getting ridden.

fixednwinter
04-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Echoing a comment above - my Strong travel bike is all Campag 10 speed except for the DT shifters which are Dura Ace - I use a Jtek in back.

I think my TF will be looking for a new home shortly as it just doesn't get ridden anymore, with the 2 Strongs in the garage, along with the Pegoretti - it just isn't getting ridden.

Some of the links that the postings in this thread (thanks for those) led me to the exploded views of the 9sp DT shifters and the bar-ends. The parts are identical, until you get to the lever stop plate (DT) or the bar plug assembly (obviously the bar-ends). Looks like I already have the plate from my Super Record Friz Diff (retro-friction) levers. And at the price that the 9sp DT shifters are going for, I might as well buy new 10sp bar-ends, mate them with my plate and...

As for your Merckx, well, with that sort of competition for your riding time, it does make sense to perhaps unload it! I love my Merckx, but I don't have the same alternate range that you do. My Hampsten fits me better, but it's a different purpose (gravel road bike rather than pure racer). I have my MXL set up similar to my old racing position - bit more reach, drops lower, saddle a touch forward. So it works great for fast club rides.

dookie
04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
$125 BIN on the 'bay...

see item 160328116621