PDA

View Full Version : Help from a Fellow Cyclist

dirtdigger88
12-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Ok- yesterday was crazy cold here in St. Louis- maybe not to my norther friend- but to me COLD. I started my ride a 10am- it was 14 degrees :crap: So cold that I was not sure how long I was going to be able to hold out so I simply rode laps around the park in my hood. The road in nice- there is even a crit there in the summer. Each lap is 1 mile. So I started my laps. At the twenty minute mark I was regretting going out but I figured I would have no time to ride until after Christmas- so I kept on. Two of the straights were into a nasty head wind- the kind that bring tears to your eyes. So at the 45 minute mark I was ready to quit when I happened on a fellow crazy cyclist. We hooked up and fed off of each other for another 40 minutes. Finally I could not take it any longer and I threw in the towel. Funny thing is that every lap I rode past one of my cycling partners house. I didn't think he was home- he did not answer the phone when I called to see if he wanted to ride. When I got home my wife handed me the phone- it was my buddy- calling to make fun of me for only riding for an hour and a half. I promptly reminded him that I went out- while he drank coffee and watched me- :p
He hung up and I took a 30 minute HOT shower- you gotta love the winter

Jason

93legendti
12-20-2004, 10:52 AM
I did 1:20 as well, of course it was 8-9 degrees here...same thing going north into the head wind I was absolutely miserable. I had 2 balaclavas on, but the uncovered parts of my face, no matter how small, were at the mercy of the wind.

Kevan
12-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Mikemets and I will be parting company, but for now the season has been mild enough that I’ll ride with him. It’s when the temps drop below the 30’s that my superior intellect prevents me from boarding a bike. Still, Mike and I like to rattle sabers occasionally with boasting emails of daring-do’s. I’m usually left using wisecrack remarks that include references to naps, hot chocolate and puff pastries, while he touts winter hill repeats and videotape training sessions… :D

Louis
12-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Jason,

Just in case you did not know this, they do make work-out equipment that can be used indoors, in a more climate controlled environment. (That is, climate controlled if you bother to run the furnace on marginally cool days like yesterday.)

Over the weekend I took my road bike down to the basement for winter "storage" and left my MTB upstairs...

Louis

dirtdigger88
12-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks Louis :D

I ride my rollers or trainer on Tuesday and Thursday mornings- NEVER any more. On the weekend I refuse to do it. Even if I only get out for a short ride- I still GET OUTSIDE. I am even straping my lights on my Lemond and I am going to see about doing my Tuesday and Thursday morning ride around the park. There is quite a bit of light from the street lights- I am going to try it tomorrow morning. If no one ever hears from me again- you will know why. I always say it is not the cold- it is the dark that limits my riding.

jason

hooverone
12-20-2004, 11:20 AM
On Saturday I rode 20 miles in 70 degree weather in Tucson

Jim

weisan
12-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Hey Jason-dirtpal,

Sorry for your suffering in the elements. And I don't mean to add to your suffering by telling you how great the weather is over here in Texas. I went out and rode for about an hour on Saturday and took some pictures. They are not very high-quality because I am only using my pocket-size Olympus voice-recorder that happens to come up with a "spy camera" function. Anyway, I remember in your previous post about sharing some "sights we see along the rides", so here they are....

This one is completely white-washed...blame it on my 640X480 pixel camera :D
http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/trips/2.jpg

These are a little bit better...
http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/trips/5.jpg http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/trips/7.jpg

weisan
12-20-2004, 11:29 AM
I took my daughter to a 2-hour long play at the Sam Bass Theater before taking off and rode around the neighborhood in Round Rock, Texas. BTW, Saturday was her 7-year-old birthday! She had a great time, by first going to watch her favorite character, Anne of Green Gables, in the play.. (while daddy rides)...and then followed by a party with friends and family.
http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/trips/1.jpg http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/trips/8.jpg

dirtdigger88
12-20-2004, 11:32 AM
they say what doesn't kill you will make you stonger- I must be the man of steel :p

jason

Weisan- nice pix thanks

Ray
12-20-2004, 11:51 AM
On Saturday I rode 20 miles in 70 degree weather in Tucson

Jim

In the winter, if it's even remotely warm enough to ride (my cutoff point is about 15 degrees - others have different thresholds), I try to ride at least the temperature. When it's only 20 outside, 20 miles is usually about all I'm good for. On Saturday it was around 40 and that's what I rode. On the rare warm winter day, I have a challenge. Last year we had a couple of days that got up into the 60s and I made the distance on one of them.

No excuse for 20 miles when its 70 out, except that you can take those temperatures for granted down there.

-Ray

pale scotsman
12-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Yep, Jason that cold weather really gets ya. We knocked out a metric on Sat and it only got to 61 degress. Brrrr... ;)

dirtdigger88
12-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Yep, Jason that cold weather really gets ya. We knocked out a metric on Sat and it only got to 61 degress. Brrrr... ;)

I was in Nashville on Thursday and Friday- it was a pleasant 50 degrees and the locals were acting like the Ice Age was comming.

Jason

ps- sir scotsman BITE ME ;)

gasman
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
You guys in the cold parts of the country are truely made of sterner stuff. I feel good about myself riding in the rain and fog when it's in the 30's. I don't have to worry about frostbite or ice. I quess I'm lucky to live in the beautiful Northwest. Oh, and you guys in the South- I don't want to hear how nice it is right now and I promise not to rub it in come August when it's 100F and 100% humidity down there. :D

Ray
12-21-2004, 07:01 AM
You guys in the cold parts of the country are truely made of sterner stuff. I feel good about myself riding in the rain and fog when it's in the 30's. I don't have to worry about frostbite or ice. I quess I'm lucky to live in the beautiful Northwest. Oh, and you guys in the South- I don't want to hear how nice it is right now and I promise not to rub it in come August when it's 100F and 100% humidity down there. :D
Rain and fog in the 30s? Give yourself some credit - those are MISERABLE conditions. I'll take upper teens, clear and dry anytime over dank and wet in the 30s. I think you just sort of acclimate to where you live and then other conditions seem difficult.

-Ray

Ti Designs
12-21-2004, 01:18 PM
My lower limit is zero - if my cats refuse to go outside, so do I. That said, when I'm out there on cold days there are health concerns. Let's say the air outside is 20 degrees, the air in my lungs is about 85 degrees (there's a transfer rate thing going on here) and I'm at 50% of my breathing capacity while riding. That puts the air temp in my lungs just south of 50 degrees as I inhale - still not too bad. Now let's take the case where it's 10 degrees out and I'm at 80% of my breathing capacity. That brings the air temp in my lungs below the freezing point of water each time I inhale - that's where the damage happens. Cold winter rides are the perfect time to work on the mileage base, not so good for speedwork, intervals or general beating up on the other idiots you meet on the road. The advantage of riding on the road in the cold is the time spent on the bike. A 90 minute ride seems short on the bike, but it's risking slipping into a coma on a trainer. For those of us who try to shed a few pounds before the season, time on the bike at low intensity is the best way, so dress warm and get out there!!!