PDA

View Full Version : ATMO in the News

rounder
04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
ATMO made it to VeloNews today. The company will be distributing Oval bars and Columbus tubesets. The company will also be selling seat bags and red watches at its website. Good luck e-richie.

http://www.velonews.com/article/90349/

paczki
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Nice watch.

Smiley
04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Ritchie gets it, he's now main stream and soon you'll see fashion by ATMO at many retail shops in the mall's next to you. Banana Republic maybe :banana:

Richie Sachs = Ralph Lauren

fiamme red
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Ritchie gets it, he's now main stream and soon you'll see fashion by ATMO at many retail shops in the mall's next to you. Banana Republic maybe :banana:

Richie Sachs = Ralph LaurenNext in the ATMO line: matching ties and Twizzlers. :banana:

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/?p=14883

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/11/25/amd_dykstra.jpg

Elefantino
04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Nice watch.
+1.

How long do you have to wait for one?

rounder
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM
+1.

How long do you have to wait for one?

I just checked and it said that a limited supply is now available. It did not say, but i would not be surprised that if you don't order by August 15, you will be shut out unless you had prevously bought one of these watches. Other leather bands are available. If i had a sachs bike, i would consider buying one.

http://rscyclocross.blogspot.com/2008/12/22-december-2008-greetings-here-is-some.html

Bruce K
04-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Old, but good news.

BK

Ti Designs
04-09-2009, 06:39 AM

Richie Sachs = Ralph Lauren

Ti Designs doesn't get it. Any product has a certain amount of it's cost in marketing. Designer names make this a larger percentage becasue they first must push the designer name, then the product line, not to mention paying the designer far more than other distributors. Then again, I never got the whole designer lable thing to begin with - I've been told I'm fashion retarded from some of the top people in the fashion world. Would I pay 50% more on jeans to have some label on my ass? There is Ralph Lauren interior paint, is it better than other interior paints, or are you paying more 'cause Ralph Lauren says it's a fashionable color?

Designer labels are a way of saying "I'm with the cool crowd". Forgive me for asking such a blunt question, but isn't the cool crowd at another forum these days? I would rather be with the intelegent crowd - I'm able to think for myself. I would look at the ATMO lable, knowing what it means and ask myself if that's really what I wanted anything I own to say.

girlie
04-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Ti Designs doesn't get it. Any product has a certain amount of it's cost in marketing. Designer names make this a larger percentage becasue they first must push the designer name, then the product line, not to mention paying the designer far more than other distributors. Then again, I never got the whole designer lable thing to begin with - I've been told I'm fashion retarded from some of the top people in the fashion world. Would I pay 50% more on jeans to have some label on my ass? There is Ralph Lauren interior paint, is it better than other interior paints, or are you paying more 'cause Ralph Lauren says it's a fashionable color?

Designer labels are a way of saying "I'm with the cool crowd". Forgive me for asking such a blunt question, but isn't the cool crowd at another forum these days? I would rather be with the intelegent crowd - I'm able to think for myself. I would look at the ATMO lable, knowing what it means and ask myself if that's really what I wanted anything I own to say.

Possibly my last post.
I agree and disagree with Ti Design here.....I believe in the power of design and the gestalt as Richard would say. But I agree in that when you sport the designers name you do have to ask yourself do I want to represent what this designer stands for? I love great design and well crafted objects but they carry a power with them given to them from their creator.

I would never sport a Richard Sachs bike or be associated with him or his brand in anyway.

Take good care:)
girlie

ergott
04-09-2009, 08:28 AM

The watch? - RGM is also a sponsor for his 'cross team so it makes perfect sense. He's also a watch nut.

The tubes? - His collaboration with Pegoretti has produced a highly regarded tubeset for modern lugged bike builders. No fashion here.

The Oval Concepts deal? - Not fashion either. He's just another distributor of components that he likes and they sponsor his team. Nothing weird here either.

The bags? - He's always marketed small stuff like saddles, team kits and the like. Fashion yes, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Let's not blow anything out of proportion. He's popular because people talk him up so much. At least people are talking about a builder that not only makes some nice bikes, he is very free with his knowledge and has done a lot to promote/teach other up and coming builders out there. He's pretty damn good for the industry in every way.

ergott
04-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I would never sport a Richard Sachs bike or be associated with him or his brand in anyway.

Take good care:)
girlie

Why?

girlie
04-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Why?

Being a woman I am not into his gestalt as it has persistently been repressive, degrading, and straight out sexist-imo. Many pro-women threads on this forum have been reduced to how she looks or if she turns him on. We humor it as it's Richard but doesn't work for me. I am a natural being as much as the next and I like looking and thinking and sex...but for the relentlessness and regularity of his "jokes" they are persistent with sexist ways. And since you asked, I also, have first hand and personal experiences with him and his ideas/behavior toward women - I won't support him for any amount of money or bikes (and I love riding bikes).

He makes well crafted bikes but there are others that make well crafted bike who I'd rather support. But what does it matter I have no money anyway:)

Just one persons opinion in a free market economy,
girlie

Climb01742
04-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Possibly my last post.

why? diversity of opinion is good. agreeing or disagreeing, civil opinions are good. ps: FWIW, i don't see RS that way but..

girlie
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
why? diversity of opinion is good. agreeing or disagreeing, civil opinions are good.

Sexist behavior and permitting it's repressive hand is not the sharing of opinions. Check out the last few womens threads all of them shut down or turned into how she looks or if she "flicks Richards bic". Even the moderators efforts where mocked in their last attempt to address this issue. And with them powerless and us being banned if we stand up to Richard what's a girl to do.....Can't fight back and can't use the appropriate channels. Don't need rape wheel references and naked women references and it's insulting to have nothing said or done about it.

Some is natural but not a full on every time...I mean come on...and that's not cum on.

PS: can't say he's promoting Peacock Groove because Erik is not in business any longer. So what is he saying with all the Peacock Groove references? Is it thoughtful and respectful? Is it to insight strife? is it funny? Is it kind?

girlie

ergott
04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Being a woman I am not into his gestalt as it has persistently been repressive, degrading, and straight out sexist-imo. Many pro-women threads on this forum have been reduced to how she looks or if she turns him on. We humor it as it's Richard but doesn't work for me. I am a natural being as much as the next and I like looking and thinking and sex...but for the relentlessness and regularity of his "jokes" they are persistent with sexist ways. And since you asked, I also, have first hand and personal experiences with him and his ideas/behavior toward women - I won't support him for any amount of money or bikes (and I love riding bikes).

He makes well crafted bikes but there are others that make well crafted bike who I'd rather support. But what does it matter I have no money anyway:)

Just one persons opinion in a free market economy,
girlie

Hey, no worries, but no reason to stop posting either.

Climb01742
04-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Sexist behavior and permitting it's repressive hand is not the sharing of opinions. Check out the last few womens threads all of them shut down or turned into how she looks or if she "flicks Richards bic". Even the moderators efforts where mocked in their last attempt to address this issue. And with them powerless and us being banned if we stand up to Richard what's a girl to do.....Can't fight back and can't use the appropriate channels. Don't need rape wheel references and naked women references and it's insulting to have nothing said or done about it.

Some is natural but not a full on every time...I mean come on...and that's not cum on.

PS: can't say he's promoting Peacock Groove because Erik is not in business any longer. So what is he saying with all the Peacock Groove references? Is it thoughtful and respectful? Is it to insight strife? is it funny? Is it kind?

girlie

uh, i was referring to_your_freedom to voice opinions.

Lifelover
04-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Possibly my last post.
....girlie

Stay or go, it's up to you (obviously). I just don't understand how his or anyone's actions at the salon would impact your posting here?

There is certianly a fair amount of typ. guy talk here, but I hope it is not as offensive as it can get on his forum.

rugbysecondrow
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM

I guess your point is lost on me. That you don't like fashion, that you buck trends or that you think items like this are frivolous in nature and unnecessary? I understand and even concur with your desire to enjoy the pure utility value of your purchases/possesions etc., but just because somebody buys a nice item, that doesn't automatically label as a wannabe or conformist. Hell, opting out as you have is a way of conforming to another thought process, no? I would also say that buying bikes with Serotta, Waterford, Sachs, Vanilla... names on them add a bit of cache to their incredbile quality that the owners also enjoy. Hell, much of this forum is built around that Serotta cache.

Cheers,

Paul

girlie
04-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Stay or go, it's up to you (obviously). I just don't understand how his or anyone's actions at the salon would impact your posting here?

There is certianly a fair amount of typ. guy talk here, but I hope it is not as offensive as it can get on his forum.

This has nothing to do with the Salon?
Not sure what you mean?

PS: can't say he's promoting Peacock Groove because Erik is not in business any longer. So what is he saying with all the Peacock Groove references? Is it thoughtful and respectful? Is it to insight strife? Is it funny? Is it kind?

girlie

Lifelover
04-09-2009, 10:00 AM
This has nothing to do with the Salon?
Not sure what you mean?

PS: can't say he's promoting Peacock Groove because Erik is not in business any longer. So what is he saying with all the Peacock Groove references? Is it thoughtful and respectful? Is it to insight strife? Is it funny? Is it kind?

girlie

I have not noticed his Peacock Groove references here. One thing that is clear from his past is that he often trolls with that kind of thing because he knows it drives people like you crazy. Viper got the raw end of his trolls, don't let you be the next.

Put him on your ignore list and move on.

This will be my last post until my next one :crap:

rugbysecondrow
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Sexist behavior and permitting it's repressive hand is not the sharing of opinions.

girlie

What up Girlie!

Why so sensitive here? I get that you might not like this guy, but to implicate everybody is a little overboard don't you think. I think you are smart and I do enjoy what you have to say most of the time, I just don't care for some of the over-generalizing statements you make. I think they are less constructive then you mean them to be, which is what causes people to roll their eyes when you write.

Cheers

girlie
04-09-2009, 10:16 AM
What up Girlie!

Why so sensitive here? I get that you might not like this guy, but to implicate everybody is a little overboard don't you think. I think you are smart and I do enjoy what you have to say most of the time, I just don't care for some of the over-generalizing statements you make. I think they are less constructive then you mean them to be, which is what causes people to roll their eyes when you write.

Cheers

I was referring to the mods sorry not all - I apologize. Also, saying probably it will be my last post I meant that they will probably ban me.

Kills the conversation and limits a female voice and perspective. Plus it's just sexist. If one has a pattern of often making it about appearance in a sexual way that distills the conversation to that it's sexist.....if it often was about someone say being black then it's racist correct?

http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58032

http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55984&highlight

rugbysecondrow
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I was referring to the mods sorry not all - I apologize. Also, saying probably it will be my last post I meant that they will probably ban me.

Kills the conversation and limits a female voice and perspective. Plus it's just sexist. If one has a pattern of often making it about appearance in a sexual way that distills the conversation to that it's sexist.....if it often was about someone say being black then it's racist correct?

http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58032

http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55984&highlight

I get it, but I also think you do too. If you were sitting at a pub with a table of 8 guys are 2 women and these same topics came up, the conversation would follow a similar pattern. It is not because we are sexists, paternalistic, racists or any other 'ist. It is because we are guys and we often think and talk with our bic. It is because eventually, the conversation will devolve into the inevitable. Also, if the table was turned and it was 8 women and 2 guys, the conversation would eventually flip too. Being a Men's Rugby Player, I hung out with many female Ruggers, and I can honestly say they said some of the nastiest things ever. Men will joke and bring the conversation down, but we have boundaries...women seem to have none.

I bet you are nodding in agreement with me, and isn't that what makes hanging out in mixed company so much fun?

Karin Kirk
04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Sorry you feel that way Girlie.
I don't pick up any of that vibe, either from Richard in person or on line, or from the forum moderators. I'm not suggesting that it isn't there, but I'm just chiming in with another perspective.

As much as I dislike the Peacock Groove stuff, I thought it was handled OK here.

MRB
04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
....he is very free with his knowledge and has done a lot to promote/teach other up and coming builders out there. He's pretty damn good for the industry in every way.
+1

benb
04-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I have a Baileyworks bag just like the one he is selling, without the ATMO logo.

He could not have picked a better bag... mine is 9 years old and still used just about daily and other then some of the velcro starting to need to be resewn it doesn't really show any wear.

girlie
04-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I get it, but I also think you do too. If you were sitting at a pub with a table of 8 guys are 2 women and these same topics came up, the conversation would follow a similar pattern. It is not because we are sexists, paternalistic, racists or any other 'ist. It is because we are guys and we often think and talk with our bic. It is because eventually, the conversation will devolve into the inevitable. Also, if the table was turned and it was 8 women and 2 guys, the conversation would eventually flip too. Being a Men's Rugby Player, I hung out with many female Ruggers, and I can honestly say they said some of the nastiest things ever. Men will joke and bring the conversation down, but we have boundaries...women seem to have none.

I bet you are nodding in agreement with me, and isn't that what makes hanging out in mixed company so much fun?

I am all for the joking and understand the nature of things I am not new to mixed company or even close to being conservative or sensitive rather I am honest and not scared to say what's right in front of me. It's not fun or easy. You are a smart person and are obviously capable of reading between the lines. I hope you are nodding.
So think about what you are saying and think about what I have written.

Best,
girlie

ergott
04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
As much as I dislike the Peacock Groove stuff, I thought it was handled OK here.

I have no idea what Peacock Groove is. Anyone care to enlighten me? Feel free to PM me if this shouldn't be rehashed in public. I googled it and got the name of a bike, not much else.

girlie
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Let's not blow anything out of proportion. He's popular because people talk him up so much. At least people are talking about a builder that not only makes some nice bikes, he is very free with his knowledge and has done a lot to promote/teach other up and coming builders out there. He's pretty damn good for the industry in every way.

Ask some of the female builders. Knowledge at what price? There are plenty of racists who where kind to their wives and people who make them money.
How is Luna Cycles doing?

girlie

rugbysecondrow
04-09-2009, 10:57 AM
You must have some big set of balls to start throwing around sexist and racist labels, particularly when you are referencing somebody who's name is so closely associated with his success, just a friendly opinion.

I think it is irresponsible to speak like that of others, more so than anything that was said in any of the links you referenced.

A few points and then I am off for the day:

A) I read the links and found nothing offensive. In fact, it was playful banter with you participating, where is the objection
B) A few comments about females being attractive is not poor form
C) The point is not whether conversation EVER turns to looks, beauty or inuendo but rather its intent
D) Apparently I am not smart enough because I still have no idea what you are upset about.
E) I don't know what Peacock Groove is, but I don't even care either.

jlwdm
04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
What confuses me is why girlie and TiDesigns monitor and post on this forum. The forum seems to bring out a lot of negativity out of them - resulting in negativity for others who in the majority are here to have fun and learn more about bikes and biking.

My suggestion - find forums that you enjoy and bring out the positives in you.

Jeff

cpg
04-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Ask some of the female builders. Knowledge at what price? There are plenty of racists who where kind to their wives and people who make them money.

girlie

What are you saying here besides innuendo?

gdw
04-09-2009, 11:16 AM
whether you agree with them or not. If you don't like what they have to say, ignore them.

jim d
04-09-2009, 11:22 AM

girlie

not sure. how is luna cycles doing?

jim

girlie
04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
You must have some big set of balls to start throwing around sexist and racist labels, particularly when you are referencing somebody who's name is so closely associated with his success, just a friendly opinion.

I think it is irresponsible to speak like that of others, more so than anything that was said in any of the links you referenced.

A few points and then I am off for the day:

A) I read the links and found nothing offensive. In fact, it was playful banter with you participating, where is the objection
B) A few comments about females being attractive is not poor form
C) The point is not whether conversation EVER turns to looks, beauty or inuendo but rather its intent
D) Apparently I am not smart enough because I still have no idea what you are upset about.
E) I don't know what Peacock Groove is, but I don't even care either.

A) I know him personally and I know it is not playful. There have been real life interaction. All I have asked is that he stop poking or jabbing. So we don't get along BIG DEAL STOP AGGRAVATING! And I will stop pushing. Let it be dead! PEACOCK GROOVE!
B) It is not a few it is every female thread and them some.
C) HERE WE AGREE AND YOU ARE NOT IN THE KNOW. IT'S INTENT IF NOT KIND AS I HAVE STATED BEFORE SO YOUR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION ARE?
E) This is why you do not understand...and so I would say read learn and then let me know:)

Best,
girlie

girlie
04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
What confuses me is why girlie and TiDesigns monitor and post on this forum. The forum seems to bring out a lot of negativity out of them - resulting in negativity for others who in the majority are here to have fun and learn more about bikes and biking.

My suggestion - find forums that you enjoy and bring out the positives in you.

Jeff

Standing up against people who are starting stuff is not complaining....it is standing in front of the bully and saying NO MORE! Be educated before you speak:) Moderators are supposed to protect all equally and justly. They have actually told me they can't tell Richard NO because of who he is. Maybe I understand that and maybe I don't.

girlie

Ti Designs
04-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I agree and disagree with Ti Design here.....I believe in the power of design and the gestalt as Richard would say.

Are we talking about good design or wearing a name? There are plenty of examples of good design without the designer name on it to push the price up. Oval and Columbus have names, adding ATMO to a part of their line is just marketing.

Why people "talk up" Richard Sachs is beyond me. Yeh, he's a damn good frame builder - I had one of his frames many years ago. But as someone who likes to ride bikes, that 6 year waiting period for a frame makes him more of an art dealer than a frame builder. Maybe that's the point of all this...

I don't think this forum brings anything out in me, I'm just a very negative person.

I'm on the Serotta forum because I assumed it was a social network of cyclists. The whole time I've been trying to get members on their bikes on group rides, which just never seems to happen around here. The one person who did take my invitation was girlie. Guess we just don't fit in here...

Keith A
04-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't see how continuing this discussion is accomplishing anything, so I'm closing this thread for now. If Pete feels differently, then he can reopen it.