PDA

View Full Version : New Law to Protect Cyclists...brings out the morons

ti_boi
04-08-2009, 05:44 AM
If approved, New Jersey would become the 14th state to have a three-foot buffer law for bike riders, said Valle Schloesser, a councilman in Chester Borough and bicycling enthusiast who recommended the bill to Oroho.

Between January 2006 and June 2008, there were 6,496 accidents in New Jersey involving bicyclists and motor vehicles, resulting in 30 deaths and 4,247 injuries, state Department of Transportation spokeswoman Erin Phalon said.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/cyclists_hope_proposed_safety.html#preview

I never felt like 'we' cyclists were more alone on the road than when I read the comments section....*yes I posted there.....twice.

Blue Jays
04-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Wow, what a bunch of maroons in that comments section!
It's probably best to ignore their dumb input...they're trying to provoke some online sparring.

bronk
04-08-2009, 06:08 AM
If nothing else, that string of comments at least helps explain why WWF has been popular for so long.

ti_boi
04-08-2009, 06:11 AM
When I read stuff like that I tend to think we would all be better off if the Internet had a single sign on with people's real names and images.....think about it.... :beer: :beer:

LesMiner
04-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Minnesota has the same 3 foot buffer law. The law does not say who should yield. Should the car move over to maintain the buffer or should the bicycle? So if you are a foot or so from the edge of the road or curb, should you go off the road into a ditch or jump the curb to keep 3 feet from the car or should the car move over? Most cars move over in my experience but a few others see it the other way.

chuckred
04-08-2009, 07:09 AM
you can see that some of the anger comes from the things "we" as cyclists bring on ourselves - running lights, riding more that 2 abreast, etc.

Doesn't justify the haters for sure, but it does shed some light on the other side of the story. And certainly the actions of some shouldn't reflect on all, but I know our club rides can develop a "herd mentality" no matter how much we remind people to respect the rules of the road.

ti_boi
04-08-2009, 07:33 AM
I find that the best approach...especially now that I ride upright (recent handlebar change) and often leave the spandex behind (no pun intended)...is to make eye contact with the angry motorists. If they buzz you, catch them at the next light and plant a left foot into their door in a sharp karate style kick and kindly ask them to give you some space (have your pepper spray and black jack ready for the occasional feisty driver). Also, be ready to duck and roll if they brandish a firearm.

Be careful out there people. :beer:

johnnymossville
04-08-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm afraid to go to the link you posted. too scary.

Here in Maryland I've been seeing the 3ft thing in posters on transit buses everywhere. I think there's a big push for it going on right now.

chuckred
04-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm afraid to go to the link you posted. too scary.

Here in Maryland I've been seeing the 3ft thing in posters on transit buses everywhere. I think there's a big push for it going on right now.

Same issues of course. We start every training ride with a reminder to be smart about the image we portray because the law is up against some tough opposition - and, not surprisingly, much of it from the trucking industry.

Now if we could just get those guys to put their chains on when they're supposed to so we could stop the 30 car pile ups and 5 hour delays on I-70... seems like cyclists are a small part of the problem!

ti_boi
04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Same issues of course. We start every training ride with a reminder to be smart about the image we portray because the law is up against some tough opposition - and, not surprisingly, much of it from the trucking industry.

Now if we could just get those guys to put their chains on when they're supposed to so we could stop the 30 car pile ups and 5 hour delays on I-70... seems like cyclists are a small part of the problem!

I find it relevant that you brought up trucks as I blame them for the really poor condition of the secondary roads where I ride. You cannot in fact ride to the far side of these roads as the pavement is completely trashed. Therefore you need to be over in the traffic zone and then you have people on your ass or buzzing you. I really believe we need strong laws in the event of an accident, when a person in a car hits a cyclist. I know we have seen this discussed here before, but the mismatch is too great and the cyclist always loses.

rugbysecondrow
04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Awesome. I normally do well in maintaining my composure, but I have had my moments in life where a similar approach was utilized. Plus, I also think the threat of having your a$$ beat by a big guy in spandex should be deterrent enough, but not always.

Cheers,

Paul

I find that the best approach...especially now that I ride upright (recent handlebar change) and often leave the spandex behind (no pun intended)...is to make eye contact with the angry motorists. If they buzz you, catch them at the next light and plant a left foot into their door in a sharp karate style kick and kindly ask them to give you some space (have your pepper spray and black jack ready for the occasional feisty driver). Also, be ready to duck and roll if they brandish a firearm.

Be careful out there people. :beer:

itsflantastic
04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
and my band, Feel it Robot, wrote a song about it. We play it at ever show and tell everyone the law. People dig it. . .

give a listen @ www.myspace.com/feelitrobot
the song is appropriately called "3 Feet"

Dan

(no cop is going to enforce the law, so we do :cool: )

ti_boi
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
and my band, Feel it Robot, wrote a song about it. We play it at ever show and tell everyone the law. People dig it. . .

Dan

Whoa....sweeet.

Missing Persons meets Devo?

johnnymossville
04-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Dan

VERY COOL!

MattTuck
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Looking back seems to make a difference.

I don't have a randomized double blind study to prove it, but I have strong anecdotal evidence that if you look backwards when a car is about 20-50 yards from you, basically saying "I see you coming", they tend to give a wider buffer zone.

Or atleast, when I do look backward, I almost never have a car come so close that I think "whoa, dick head!"... that seems to only happen when I don't look back.

Obviously, I don't ride in the city, and the roads I ride on are lightly traveled... but still, my experience.

toaster
04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I agree looking back does seem to make motorists give you a little more room. Probably they think you're going to do something out of the ordinary or you give them a feeling you are anticipating their rudeness.

bzbvh5
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Laws are made because common courtesy and common sense doesn't prevail. How sad it that.

Cyclists - Let's obey the traffic laws. Single file up to let the cars go by us on single lane roads. Don't aggravate a bad situation. Wave or salute to people who are polite. Remember, it's a good day when you keep the rubber side down.

Drivers - Don't hit anyone with your vehicle. Try to not just barely miss a collision. If you're upset with a cyclist, give us the fickle finger of fate and drive on just like you do to the other cars on the road. Have a nice day.

Texas is voting on a 3 foot law as well. I wish we didn't need it, but we do.

torquer
04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Minnesota has the same 3 foot buffer law. The law does not say who should yield. Should the car move over to maintain the buffer or should the bicycle? So if you are a foot or so from the edge of the road or curb, should you go off the road into a ditch or jump the curb to keep 3 feet from the car or should the car move over? Most cars move over in my experience but a few others see it the other way.
I couldn't find a link to the proposed law, but typically it is the responsibility of the overtaking vehicle to maintain the mandated separation, so usually it would be the driver who had to move over, unless it was the bike that was passing.

As far as the comments following the posted article, they remind me of something George Carlin said: “Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!” Guess it was that half that contributed the offending comments.

jasond
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Wave or salute to people who are polite.

+1...I always make it a point to waive to someone that has been courtesy.

BumbleBeeDave
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
. . . in that they illustrate that motorists do notice when cyclists also ride like morons and blow lights and stop signs, etc. I also found it disappointing that the lead photo for the story shows the cyclist riding on the wrong side of the street.

BBD