PDA

View Full Version : Shimano SPD-SL cleat question: red or yellow

dekindy
04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I have only used the yellow cleats with float since I purchased my pedals 2.5 years ago. I have went through several pairs of cleats and have read that they wear fast so I figured that was the norm.

I just read on another forum that a guy claims the red no float cleats will last 10,000+ miles. I have not kept track but I figure 2,000 is the average mileage that I get on the yellow ones. I have had a fitting and have LeMond Wedges so my inclination is to try the red cleats. The only time my knees have hurt since getting the new pedals and fitting is when my cleats get worn and need replacing. In fact that is a sure sign they are worn badly and need replacing. The other guy claims that the yellow cleats wear your pedals out faster but gave no specifics.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

SoCalSteve
04-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I have only used the yellow cleats with float since I purchased my pedals 2.5 years ago. I have went through several pairs of cleats and have read that they wear fast so I figured that was the norm.

I just read on another forum that a guy claims the red no float cleats will last 10,000+ miles. I have not kept track but I figure 2,000 is the average mileage that I get on the yellow ones. I have had a fitting and have LeMond Wedges so my inclination is to try the red cleats. The only time my knees have hurt since getting the new pedals and fitting is when my cleats get worn and need replacing. In fact that is a sure sign they are worn badly and need replacing. The other guy claims that the yellow cleats wear your pedals out faster but gave no specifics.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Old style pedals or new?

New style (7810) you shouldnt have a problem wearing out cleats. That problem was fixed with the 7810's.... Unless of course you walk on them alot. The rubber will wear down quickly.

As for switching, they cost $20.00 to replace, right? How much does a knee surgery or lots of knee pain cost? Fixed cleats can HURT!

Moral is: Stick with what works for you. If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Nuff said,

Steve

dekindy
04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Old style Ultegra model with the plastic wear plate.

I was not aware that the new pedals improved cleat wear. How do they do that? Does that make it economical to replace the old style pedal with the new?

The cyclist that recommended red said that very few people that have had a fitting and cleats are properly adjusted don't need float. I have seen a lot of complaints both ways regarding no float or too much float being hard on knees.

You are saying that the majority of folks need float and my best bet is to not try the red cleats?

SoCalSteve
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Old style Ultegra model with the plastic wear plate.

I was not aware that the new pedals improved cleat wear. How do they do that? Does that make it economical to replace the old style pedal with the new?

The cyclist that recommended red said that very few people that have had a fitting and cleats are properly adjusted don't need float. I have seen a lot of complaints both ways regarding no float or too much float being hard on knees.
You are saying that the majority of folks need float and my best bet is to not try the red cleats?

Not sure how economical it is, but the wear plate is now made of steel and it doesnt wear...So, yes, the cleats last longer. And, the extra added bonus is that they feel the same all the time. On the old style, when the wear plate started to wear out, it made for sloppy pedaling...

As for stats on float vs non-float, I dont have a clue..But, I do know from personal experience (both my wife and myself) that we had both had knee pains when we have used pedal systems that dont have much float (she uses Speedplay which is nothing but float). I think people who use fixed cleat systems are more of the "racer-sprinter" ilk. I think the extra power that it would gain you would be lost in having to ice your knees and miss out on rides due to knee pains and knee surgeries.

Again, this is purely from personal experience. Everyone is different. Everybodys body is different (think saddles). Your results may be very different than mine.

Try PBK, if they have them in stock, they are always the cheapest.

Good luck!

Steve

pdmtong
04-08-2009, 02:41 AM
cleats cost $20. replacement plastic dog bones cost $8. NBD to replace if you get a coupla thousand.

deechee
04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I have been using red fixed spd-sl cleats for at least 5 years now, and I definitely think they're useful past 3000km, but as others have said, its only 20$. I'd rather a new cleat that clips better than be lazy. Also, its a good excuse to take it out and re-grease the bolts so they don't get seized.

As for the assumption that fixed cleats are worse, it was my physio's idea to switch over to fixed and I have never regretted it since. If you adjust them correctly, he didn't see an issue, nor do I. But I have never had knee issues.

dekindy
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Do non float cleats get more power to the pedals versus cleats that have float?