PDA

View Full Version : Ti Frame with Steel fork?

c2a2d
04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Just curious of what people thought or experienced with this combination. Ti frame with a steel fork. Any opinions or feedback?

sbornia
04-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I think in the early '90s Merlin sold some ti road frames with Ritchey steel forks. I'll bet TK could weigh in on the ride charactestics.

Kirk007
04-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I used one for years. Early Colnagos did as well. I don't see any difference between the question of using a steel fork with a ti frame than with a steel frame. It depends on what you want out of the fork. It often "looks" difference as most ti tubing is oversized these days compared to the steel fork tubing.

David Kirk
04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't do it! It will start a fire!

dave

csm
04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
and if you don't use enough anti-seize it will corrode together.

Peter P.
04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the first iteration of titanium frames by Serotta, as featured in Bicycling Magazine YEARS ago, had a nude titanium frame with a red steel fork. If I remember the text, it said Serotta was trying to replicate the feel of a steel frame in titanium and at that point in time, no carbon fork gave the feedback that a steel fork did. They still don't!

But everyone is a whore to lightweight, which is why carbon forks rule.

I say get the steel fork and buy yourself a cheeseburger every time some yutz remarks that you should have a carbon fork instead because it's lighter. Buy yourself TWO cheeseburgers if you can drop them!

Brian Smith
04-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I have a ti Serotta with a steel fork that I enjoy.
If you can accept the weight of it (and why couldn't you,) the steel fork manages to be rigid enough at the desired fore-aft travel limit without being super rigid near its rest position.
Bottom line - if you can accept a steel fork's performance on your steel frame, you'll also accept it on your ti frame.

Blue Jays
04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
It strikes me it would be an advantage in most situations because steel imparts such wonderful and communicative ride characteristics.
Keep us posted on this project and please provide a ride report. :beer:

NateM
04-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I had Dave Kirk make a fork for my Serotta Ti. The beauty of steel besides the ride is that it can be custom made to your bikes needs. I can run a fender and easily fit a 28mm or larger tire with the Tektro R538 caliper. He tweaked the geometry a little to slow the steering down. I use a carbon fork in the summer months when the roads are in better shape and I drop the fenders.

BengeBoy
04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
My custom Davidson Ti road bike has a steel fork.

I'm pretty tall, and am not at all flexible, and I wanted an all-rounder that allowed me to get the handlebars up level with the seat. This produced a rather long headtube, and we were unable to find a carbon fork that would work with the fender clearance I wanted.

So: steel fork. Beautifully made, in my opinion.

Most comfortable bike I've ever owned, would be sinfully fast if it had a better engine.

Marcusaurelius
04-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Derosa at one time offered a steel fork with their titanium frame. I think it was a stellar combination unfortunately I'm not sure they still offer it.

William
04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Don't do it! It will start a fire!

dave

I thought it was a matter/Anti-matter thing. One wrong turn and...POOF!!....you're gone.

William ;)

Wiley J
04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Has anyone ever seen a steel fork for a frame with an integrated headset? Could a builder make one? Maybe Dave Kirk could answer this?