PDA

View Full Version : Great article on blood doping, EPO, etc.

Keith A
04-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Just finished reading one the best articles on blood doping that I have seen. It is an interview with Michael Ashenden who helped develop some of the tests for EPO usage and for homologous blood doping. It's a long interview, but worth the read in my opinion.

Here's a summary of the interview...

"Dr. Michael Ashenden began his career as an exercise physiologist with the Australian Institute of Sport. After assisting in the development of an EPO test for the Sydney Olympic Games, he left the AIS to focus on battling blood doping. In 2005, Dr. Ashenden was among of group of scientists who questioned the validity of a physiological study on Lance Armstrong, a dispute that led him to serve as an expert witness in an arbitration case involving Armstrong and a bonus payment for winning the Tour. Dr. Ashenden kindly agreed to speak with us and shed some new light on that controversy. He also helped us analyze the 6 positives from Armstrong's '99 Tour samples with a level of detail never before made public."

The article can be found here http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2009/michael-ashenden

keevon
04-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Thank you for posting that. I took the time, read the whole interview, and now feel considerably more informed on the whole subject.

paczki
04-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Terrific but depressing!

Keith A
04-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Agreed. I also just finished reading the book "The Death of Macro Pantani" which concludes that he doped most of his professional (and even possibly some of his amateur) career. It was a very interesting read, but also very sad.