PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless in the classics?

LegendRider
04-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Did anyone ride tubeless in Flanders or any of the Belgian semi-classics? I recall Phillipe Gilbert rode them last year. Seems like it would be a good application for the technology.

Charles M
04-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Possibly better than clinchers for roadies

But better than Tubulars for pro's with follow cars?

nope.

Not saying none were rolling, just that the current tech is arguably better for recreational clincher users. Tubulars are better in virtually all aspects for those not concerned with changing a flat...

MIN
04-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Tubulars are better in virtually all aspects for those not concerned with changing a flat...

Peztech - I thought clinchers generally have lower rolling resistance than tubulars (in lab testing)? I personally can't tell the rolling resistance differences between tubular and clinchers on the road but the rider quality is noticeable.

Nathanrtaylor
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
It seems like the classics would require riding whatever was least likely to flat at all. At least on the cobblestone sections where team cars aren't allowed.

If you flat in the wrong place, you are basically done. I don't see recovery being possible on some of the shorter races.

gemship
04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
nice article on the Shimano tubeless wheels used at Paris Roubaix. I have these wheels and they are tough as nails.Nice to know they actually get used at the pro level in such a tough event.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=/tech/2009/features/paris_roubaix109

Ray
04-19-2009, 05:23 PM
nice article on the Shimano tubeless wheels used at Paris Roubaix. I have these wheels and they are tough as nails.Nice to know they actually get used at the pro level in such a tough event.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=/tech/2009/features/paris_roubaix109
I'm semi-fascinated by these wheels and am considering them if I ever get another set of chi chi wheels (which I probably will if I'm even thinking about it now). But I figured they need a few more years of seasoning since there's only one set of tires currently available for them and they're limited to 23s. Good to see in the article that the pros were riding them with 28s - I wonder when more tubeless tires will reach the market. If there was more variety, I'd probably go for these.

-Ray

fixednwinter
04-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm gravitating towards bikes that can accept 28mm tires, so I'm in the same situation. I'd love to try tubeless, but I'll wait until there are fatter tires readily available.