PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: I need help with a tricky wheel build

dvancleve
04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Howdy folks.

I want to lace a 24H Sun Venus rim to a Rolf/Hugi Sestriere rear hub. I thought I had it figured out, but 24 wrong spokes later I apparently do not. It is a super nice quality hub and I thought a great opportunity to put together some light but inexpensive wheels. I used spocalc but apparently misunderstood how the correction for the paired hub drilling worked, so my spokes (mostly) appear to be too short. If it was that simple, I would just order more that are a bit longer, but there is also an issue with the non-drive side lacing. I have redone it several times and at least 2 different ways, and no matter what I get half the spokes ending up much too long. Looking at it, something is offset to the normal way things should be, but I just cannot figure out what is wrong. I have built quite a few wheels and never gone completely wrong, so I'm wondering if there's something I didn't consider about the hub drilling. Have any of you successfully laced a Setriere hub to a regular rim?

Thanks, Doug

P.S. This is also posted "across the hall" since I don't know if most folks follow both forums, hope that isn't offensive to anyone...

Brian Smith
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Howdy folks.

I want to lace a 24H Sun Venus rim to a Rolf/Hugi Sestriere rear hub. I thought I had it figured out, but 24 wrong spokes later I apparently do not. It is a super nice quality hub and I thought a great opportunity to put together some light but inexpensive wheels. I used spocalc but apparently misunderstood how the correction for the paired hub drilling worked, so my spokes (mostly) appear to be too short. If it was that simple, I would just order more that are a bit longer, but there is also an issue with the non-drive side lacing. I have redone it several times and at least 2 different ways, and no matter what I get half the spokes ending up muc too long. Looking at it, something is offset to the normal way things should be, but I just cannot figure out what is wrong. I have built quite a few wheels and never gone completely wrong, so I'm wondering if there's something I didn't consider about the hub drilling. Have any of you successfully laced a Setriere hub to a regular rim?

Thanks, Doug

P.S. This is also posted "across the hall" since I don't know if most folks follow both forums, hope that isn't offensive to anyone...

Making "corrections" to the spoke length to lace a "paired spoke" hub to a proper regular rim is like a beverage can shim under an aero bar clamp. It's a sacrifice to the function of the wheel that is neither necessary nor prudent when conceiving a new assembly with performance in mind. Do it if you "have to" in order to assemble some miscellaneous parts, but if building a performance wheel is the goal, don't start with mismatched components.

I have a spoke calculator that would permit such a length calculation, but I would refuse to use it for that application. Maybe someone on wreck-tech would oblige.