PDA

View Full Version : Sidi fit dilema

thinpin
04-06-2009, 02:08 AM
I have worn Sidi shoes for years. They fit like a glove and I have never had issues with them, until recently that is. During the hot summer days my feet swell making the shoes uncomfortable on long rides.
Do I:-
(a) go up a size for hot summer days?
(b) try a pair of same size Sidi Mega for the hot days?
Fitting in shop is of no use as I can't replicate the conditions!
Anyone any experience of dealing with these problems?

TriJim
04-06-2009, 04:24 AM
In Hawaii last year - Sidi Ergo 2's. I had worn them for over 1000 miles before the race, but by the turn-around a Hawi I had to release the straps to counter the swelling and my feet were really cramped by the end of the ride. I blamed this on my lack of heat acclimatization and taking in extra fluids. I haven't had problems since so I still wear the shoes without problems (too much money to not wear them and no chance for an exchange or refund). I'll be curious to see if the problem returns this summer. In the meantime I have a pair of Shimano triathlon shoes that will work in a pinch (pun intended). :rolleyes:

alancw3
04-06-2009, 06:00 AM
don't know if it is just the hot weather or if sidi sizing has changed on newer models. i have worn genius 3 for like 6-7 years now. fit well even in hot weather. i resently went to lbs to try on genius 5 pro in hopes of getting new shoes. too tight and narrow. i hate to go to a 49mega from a 48 because then my cleats will not line up the way i like them (currently all the way back on the 48). i have actually decided to try on some northwave and specialized shoes as an alternative. i have really loved the sidis though!

CPP
04-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Thinpin,
Try putting a thinner insole in your shoes when it's hot.

regularguy412
04-06-2009, 07:22 AM
After my first pair of carbon-soled shoes, circa: 1990, I have started buying my shoes 1/2 size larger (43.5) and putting in an additional insole. Yes, this does add slightly to the weight, but my feet like the extra toe room and if they get too hot and swell, I can take one of the insoles out and stuff them in a jersey pocket.

Mike in AR:beer:

jlwdm
04-06-2009, 07:48 AM
I do not have any problems but my wife cannot wear most of her shoes in really warm weather as her feet swell up.

Jeff

th_boone
04-06-2009, 07:54 AM
I was in Sidi 44 Euros for a long time. Recently have been in carbon Ergos. I made the switch to 45s last year and have not looked back. I found that (particulary on LONG rides) that my toes went numb because I was scrunching them to compensate.

To my knowledge, a half size (ie, 44.5) is the same length as a 44, just a bit wider. To get a longer shoe, I needed to size up one whole size. Then, I added Superfeet insoles.

MIN
04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
i just bought a pair of 44 megas after 2 years with a 44 normal. like the OP, i fitted in the normal width fine at the bike shop but long rides created some tightness with swelling. the mega is .2" wider and a bit looser around the heel. works great for my E width feet.

thinpin
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Thinpin,
Try putting a thinner insole in your shoes when it's hot.
Thanks for the replies. I have had to resort to this on one occasion, but it is uncomfortable, especially when on long climbs which I do a lot of in summer. I think a size up with a bigger inner might be the go and resort to nomal inner on the days my feet don't swell.

csi & legend ti
04-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I have worn Sidi shoes for years. They fit like a glove and I have never had issues with them, until recently that is. During the hot summer days my feet swell making the shoes uncomfortable on long rides.
Do I:-
(a) go up a size for hot summer days?
(b) try a pair of same size Sidi Mega for the hot days?
Fitting in shop is of no use as I can't replicate the conditions!
Anyone any experience of dealing with these problems?

I have worn Sidi shoes for a while. Just got a new pair last year.

Used to have some of the same problems that you mention above. Had a lot of pain on the side of my foot. Took out the insole for more space. Worked for a little while. Put the pain kept coming back. I did try spd sandals for while. Not as stiff but did allow me to ride.

After dropping a lot weight I bought a new pair shoes. Sidi 6.6 carbon. These are a size SMALLER than my older Sidi 5. Sidi 5 were 44. The 6.6 are 43.

I have yet to have any problems with me feet feeling uncomfortable. I feel the smaller size fits me just right.

YMMF. Hope this helps.

Jim

xtrsmith
04-07-2009, 02:09 AM
I would say just get the size that fits you. A new pair will probably fit better on both ultra hot and mild days.

mgm777
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
ITo my knowledge, a half size (ie, 44.5) is the same length as a 44, just a bit wider. To get a longer shoe, I needed to size up one whole size. Then, I added Superfeet insoles.

Slight thread drift....

To those in the know, is the above assertion accurate? I've heard the same, but never seen it confirmed. To be clear, I am wondering if the half-sizes are actually an increase in the length (heel to toe) of the shoe. Thanks.

Michael

thinpin
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I would say just get the size that fits you. A new pair will probably fit better on both ultra hot and mild days.
The shoes I have are new. And they fit except when my feet swell, then they dont fit. I was wondering would I be better to go longer or wider for when the new shoes I have dont fit.

Erik.Lazdins
04-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Every 10 minutes stop and pull off the shoes, go to your trailing support bus and take a cold shower, a massage, and cool off a bit. The problem should go away! :beer:

I get the same problem in the summer here with multiple shoes - the reality for me is that I can't ride as long at 90 degrees as I can at 65. I have been unable to figure this one out - each hot ride hits me differently but ultimately the overall length of ride dimishes as the temps rise.

Ozz
04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Slight thread drift....

To those in the know, is the above assertion accurate? I've heard the same, but never seen it confirmed. To be clear, I am wondering if the half-sizes are actually an increase in the length (heel to toe) of the shoe. Thanks.

Michael
I just opened a box I received from PBK of Sidi 6.6's...size 44.5. The sole is molded and says "44" on it....there is a sticker that says "1/2"...not sure what this means, but I'm guessing that the length is the same as a 44, and the width is a little wider (more material in the uppers).