PDA

View Full Version : Minor crash and carbon bars, need to replace?

sbornia
04-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Dropped my chain and hit some gravel, then when down on my left side today. A bit of road rash on my hip and knee, otherwise fine. But my new Easton carbon bars! It's hard to photograph the abrasion well, but the side of the hook is scraped. If this is the only damage, would it still be smart to replace them?

martinrjensen
04-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Smart? Well if you got the money and don't want to take any chances then yes. That's gotta be hundred bucks though? I would look at it close and see if it's only surface scraping. I have read that carbon bars are at least as strong as aluminum. I can say from the photo that it looks like cosmetic damage (IMO) but you really need to take a close look.
Also, you would of course have to trust these bars. If you don't then it doesn't really matter what shape they are in. I would probably take it to at a least a couple stores to have the "good " mechanics look at it. I would like to have several people look at it and say it's OK. Bars are kind of funny that way. You definately don't want them breaking on you. That said I don't think they would just snap off. I have never heard of them doing that
Dropped my chain and hit some gravel, then when down on my left side today. A bit of road rash on my hip and knee, otherwise fine. But my new Easton carbon bars! It's hard to photograph the abrasion well, but the side of the hook is scraped. If this is the only damage, would it still be smart to replace them?

John H.
04-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Do a couple all out standing starts in the drops- if you can't break them off you will be ok

rustychisel
04-05-2009, 11:35 PM
seeing where the scrape is I would not be fully confident riding in the drops on those bars.

Then again, I'm a bit of a torquer and don't mind a sprint. Then again, I've broken bars before (not carbon). Then again, for peace of mind... you get the picture.

sbornia
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to have a couple of mechanics look at it. I guess you gotta pay to play.

Gothard
04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Priced dental or emergency medical work lately?

mgm777
04-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Priced dental or emergency medical work lately?

Exactly! +1

AFS
04-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Replace them, not worth the chance.

Dave
04-06-2009, 07:32 AM
If you replace them, send them to me. It looks to be mostly cosmetic. Straddle the bike, but both hands on the drops and lift your feet off the ground so your full weight bears on the bars. I suspect the bars will pass this test easily.

false_Aest
04-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Time to go back to aluminium?

android
04-06-2009, 08:02 AM
At least take the tape and levers off and then tap test it with a nickel. It should have a solid sounding click, not a dull thunk. Check it against the other side. Clean it up and see if any of the gouges cut into the CF material or if its just the surface. Sand off any sharp edges with fine sandpaper. Won't be as good as new but should be close if you don't find any deep damage or delamination.

zap
04-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Carbon bars from firms such as easton are bloody strong.

If that abrasion just muffed up the finish, grab some finger nail polish and dab/brush some on the abraded area. From what I recall, that red covering was just a wrap and finger nail polish did not adhere to that but will adhere to the surface underneath.

PS

I just looked at the photo again and I've seen worse when people install and tighten brifters.

benb
04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
ISTR Damon Rinard or one of those types sawing an Easton bar 50% through and still not being able to break it... when it was in a vise and he was pulling as hard as he could.

It's probably fine.. but this is also a fine reason to go with Aluminum, at 1/2 the price you don't feel as bad about replacing it if you see damage.

Gothard
04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
It is amazing to me that people would rather risk great personal (and likely disfiguring) injury rather than plunk a couple of hundred FRNs for another bar. :confused:

Some of you need to do a couple of shifts in ER. After 20 blood bathed minutes a lot of opinions would change.

To be clear: will that particular bar break? No one can safely tell. Should anyone risk life and limb to spare money??? Hell no.

Pete Serotta
04-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I have also seen this with helmets. After a crash I have heard more than once "well it still looks ok to use!" :confused:

It is amazing to me that people would rather risk great personal (and likely disfiguring) injury rather than plunk a couple of hundred FRNs for another bar. :confused:

Some of you need to do a couple of shifts in ER. After 20 blood bathed minutes a lot of opinions would change.

To be clear: will that particular bar break? No one can safely tell. Should anyone risk life and limb to spare money??? Hell no.

sg8357
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
To be clear: will that particular bar break? No one can safely tell. .

If you took the bars to your local airport and had an ultrasonic inspection
done, then I'd almost feel ok to ride them.

The inspection is about $145.

Scott G.
Not skinny enough to worry about carbon anything.

Gothard
04-06-2009, 03:19 PM
If you took the bars to your local airport and had an ultrasonic inspection
done, then I'd almost feel ok to ride them.

The inspection is about $145.

Scott G.
Not skinny enough to worry about carbon anything.

Fixed that for you.

bfd
04-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Carbon bars from firms such as easton are bloody strong.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. My buddy had Easton carbon bars on his Merlin. One day his bike was leaning up against a wall when a wind came and blew it over. When he started riding his bar began creaking. He rode home, gently, and when he unraveled the hbar tape, he found the bar was cracked. This was a brand new bar with probably no more than 2-3 rides or about 150miles on it.

He took the bar back to the shop and when it contacted Easton, their reply was it too bad. It was an "act of god" and the best they could do was offer a 20% off coupon.

My friend now rides an aluminum ritchey wcs hbar....

Dave
04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. My buddy had Easton carbon bars on his Merlin. One day his bike was leaning up against a wall when a wind came and blew it over. When he started riding his bar began creaking. He rode home, gently, and when he unraveled the hbar tape, he found the bar was cracked. This was a brand new bar with probably no more than 2-3 rides or about 150miles on it.

He took the bar back to the shop and when it contacted Easton, their reply was it too bad. It was an "act of god" and the best they could do was offer a 20% off coupon.

My friend now rides an aluminum ritchey wcs hbar....

And in contrast, mine took a big hit when I was T-boned by a car and came out unscathed. To test the strength in the bend behind the brake hood, I took the bars off, stood them vertically on the floor and applied my entire 135 lb weight to the opposite side, in order to stress the bend that took the hit. Passed that test with no problem. I'd say your example is one of defective contruction that Easton should have replaced.

I would have shipped the bar to Easton for examination, or cut it apart to prove that their was little wall thickness. A problem with the lamination could also have resulted in a brittle structure. Either way, it should have been replaced.

Samster
04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
i don't get carbon bars. literally and figuratively. newton 215s for me.

jasond
04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I have also seen this with helmets. After a crash I have heard more than once "well it still looks ok to use!" :confused:

What's even better is a few of the helmet companies will even give you some money for your crashed helmet towards a new one. It's a no brainer, get a new helmet.

I know it sucks to lose all that money you invested in new carbon bars but is the risk really worth it? If you still have your old bars you can at least ride those until the sting of spending another couple hundred on carbon bars wears off.

J