PDA

View Full Version : 230 lb rider.. NEED ADVICE ON WHEELS!

pedalyourbike
04-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey all,

I am 230lb. I heard Mavic Open Pro DTs are good. What hubs and wheels do you rec? Are there others for my weight? I am looking to get down to 175lb by next year, but want to make sure i am getting the right wheel. I have an '09 ottrott (GS) on order that should be here in 3 more weeks. I am not a racer (yet) so just need something for my weight and the long rides I go on. I am riding Ragbrai and the 3 state, 3 mountain rides in 2-3 months... Ideas???

palincss
04-05-2009, 09:03 PM
You might have heard that they are good, but did you hear that they were good for someone of your weight? Remember, at 230lb you weigh at least as much as a typical racer with a full camping load including front and rear panniers, tent, sleeping bag, stove and food for a week.

I think Peter White has a many good things to say about wheels on his web site: http://peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp At your weight I think what he suggests as a "Training, Light Touring and Randoneuring" wheel set would be the minimum for a "light duty" wheel -- but you might think about his loaded touring spec as well.

Dekonick
04-05-2009, 09:12 PM
you should be fine with open pros or velocity areohead rims - just get at least 32 spoke 3 cross. There are plenty of folks who ride 32 spoke wheels at your weight. If you actually ride, you will be down to 200 in no time anyway.

pedalyourbike
04-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the advice...

Bradford
04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm your size (plus 5 pounds). Since I've had a history of trashing wheels over the years, I decided to get serious a while ago.

I started with 36 hole Mavic CXP 33 rims on Dura Ace hubs built by Peter White. These things are absolutely bullet proof. I'm pretty sure I could mount them on my car and they would roll true.

Last year I moved to 32 hole Alex rims on Dura Ace hubs built by Jeremy at Alchemy in NM. Jeremy is very good at what he does and these wheels are perfect...feel great and roll very well. I already had the hubs, so I sent them down and all the direction I gave him was to build me reliable wheels, preferably with a silver rim. The rim he decided I needed was only available in black, so he had the anodizing stripped off and left me with some pretty wheels.

Find a good wheel builder, one you trust, tell him how big you are and how you ride, and then leave the rest up to him. Jeremy knows more about wheels than I ever will, so no need for me to second guess him. There are several other great wheel builders (including Peter) that people like here, so chances are if you pick one of them you won't go wrong. Just have an open conversation with them and they will build you the right wheel.

pedalyourbike
04-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks Bradford. What is Jeremy's website or number?

Clydesdale
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Don't get too nervous about wheels. I'm 230-240 and have lots of miles on various versions of the ksyriums and have never had an issue. I also rode some 28 spoke ritchey ocr rims on king hubs for a ton of miles before finally replacing a spoke. I've never been real hard on equipment, but in my opinion you don't have to be limited to heavy duty wheels.

PS - if you want bulletproof - Bradford is right about the cxp33's - Even 32 hole should be all you would ever need.

Bradford
04-05-2009, 09:55 PM
He is on this site, so you can get him on PM, or try the following:

Alchemy Bicycle Works
720 Rosita Street
Santa Fe, NM 87505

1.888.861.6425 toll-free fax

If that doesn't work, ask Smiley...he has Jeremy on speed dial.

rphetteplace
04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Velocity Deep V is the way to go imho for clydesdales studs.

JohnHemlock
04-05-2009, 10:35 PM
PS - if you want bulletproof - Bradford is right about the cxp33's - Even 32 hole should be all you would ever need.

+1, I am a couple plates of biscuits and gravy heavier than you and these are what I use, never an issue.

SoCalSteve
04-05-2009, 11:56 PM
If you want the "bling" factor...Mavic Cosmic Carbones are "big guy" wheels and if you want to spend big $$$, then Edge clinchers 28 hole will work for you as well...Match them to any hub you like and now you have a serious et of race wheels that can handle "big"!

Good luck with all your goals. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any advice on going from big to small... :beer: No beer!

Steve

Pete Serotta
04-06-2009, 12:55 AM
and Steve is a big guy. The OPEN PRO will also work with your weight and 32 hole - if they are built correctly.

Peter White, Joe Young, Alchemy, Ergott, Franks, and some other builders of wheels have good reputations for solid wheels that perform. Talk to them and order a set...You can get a good wheel that is strong and that performs... :bike:

If you want the "bling" factor...Mavic Cosmic Carbones are "big guy" wheels and if you want to spend big $$$, then Edge clinchers 28 hole will work for you as well...Match them to any hub you like and now you have a serious et of race wheels that can handle "big"!

Good luck with all your goals. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any advice on going from big to small... :beer: No beer!

Steve

Bruce K
04-06-2009, 05:06 AM
HED Bastognes in their Stallion Build will last a lifetime.

I have been close to where you are weight-wise andstill have some HEDs that are going strong after 5 seasons.

I use the Bastogne for cyclocross (they are less expensive than Ardennes).

BK

dekindy
04-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Velocity Deep V is the way to go imho for clydesdales studs.

Yes, or DT Swiss 1.2's or Mavic CXP33's or Open Pro's with 32 3x.

staggerwing
04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm within a few whiskers of your weight, but on my heavily laden commuter rig, it might as well be the same.

Besides a strong wheel build, consider running a larger cross section tire. A 25mm at minimum, although a 28 would be better. Let the lightweights have the 23's. The extra volume makes for a kinder, less harsh ride; nicer to both bike and rider, especially over less than optimal roads.

djg21
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
you should be fine with open pros or velocity areohead rims - just get at least 32 spoke 3 cross. There are plenty of folks who ride 32 spoke wheels at your weight. If you actually ride, you will be down to 200 in no time anyway.

I agree -- the sprinter's special. 32 hole, 3x, 14/15 double butted spokes, and brass nipples. You'll be fine unless you begin riding into things.

flydhest
04-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I used to be 225+. Very well build 32 Open Pros or similar will work, but the builder has to know what they are doing.

On a different thread, I noted that Campy wheels are great. For the money, the Protons will serve you very well. They are close to indestructable, as far as I can tell.

maunahaole
04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I have had problems with cxp33's. ON more than one occasion, I have gotten cracks at the spoke holes. For this reason, I won't use them again. This is just my personal experience and of course YMMV.

An open pro will be ok. As has been mentioned, get a high quality build. ALso make sure that you keep an eye on them and get them retensioned every once in a while. I have found that spoke breakage happens when the wheel gets a little tired and there are a few spokes with less tension, but not enough to have the wheel go out of true.

palincss
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I
An open pro will be ok. As has been mentioned, get a high quality build. ALso make sure that you keep an eye on them and get them retensioned every once in a while. I have found that spoke breakage happens when the wheel gets a little tired and there are a few spokes with less tension, but not enough to have the wheel go out of true.

Or, you could go with a slightly more robust rim with 4 more spokes, of course with a high quality build, and you could ride them for 10,000 miles and never have to touch the spoke tension once. What do you lose by going with a light touring rather than a racing wheel? (other than headaches, of course)

maunahaole
04-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I agree with you here. My "everyday" rear is a 36h velocity dyad. It is a wide rim, and as such needs a wide tire on it. This may cause some clearance issues in some frames. It is tough as nails, though, and even if I do break a spoke, it does not go too far out of true because of the stout rim combined with the additional spokes.

On the front, you can get away with lighter builds as there is less weight and no dish. I've ridden 28h on the front for years without any problems.

Kervin
04-06-2009, 03:35 PM
When I started to ride again (a few years back), I was 220. I've never had any trouble with 32* Open Pro's built with 15/17 spokes w/ alloy nipples. I also have a set of 28* CXP 33's that have bladed spokes that work just fine. I ride about a mile on gravel everyday. I did find that I get fewer flats with 25mm tires and I can't feel the weight difference. Last year, I got a set of Campy Eurus wheels that are great. Lighter than the open pro's, "feels" a bit more aero than CXP 33's. The CXP's and the Open pro's are rounder, but I can only tell that if the roads are super smooth and if I happen to be fretting over small stuff that day.

Lurch
04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I worked with Joe Young recently, and he recomended a White Hub Mavic CXP33's build with 36 hole for me, at my svelt 260. Open Pro is a great rim, I just have gotten so tired of the wight weenie process of spend a lot, wear it out, spend a lot again.

Bomb proof clyde equipment is where my mind is these days. This set I expect to last a lifetime, and if they make me suck on climbs for a bit, I need to work harder and drop a quarter of a pound.

SoCalSteve
04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
and Steve is a big guy. The OPEN PRO will also work with your weight and 32 hole - if they are built correctly.

Peter White, Joe Young, Alchemy, Ergott, Franks, and some other builders of wheels have good reputations for solid wheels that perform. Talk to them and order a set...You can get a good wheel that is strong and that performs... :bike:

Hey! Who you talkin' about???

You havent seen me recently, have you? I'm down at least 25 lbs from when we rode together...

Im still tall, just not so "big" anymore.

Just sayin'

Steve

pedalyourbike
04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice! I truly appreciate the help! -Rob

bozman
04-06-2009, 11:14 PM

I have been close to where you are weight-wise andstill have some HEDs that are going strong after 5 seasons.

BK

I have been considering a set of Bastognes. Do you notice a difference with the wider rim? What size tire are you running with them?

kestrel
04-07-2009, 06:32 AM
For more years than I can remember I was pushing 210lbs. During that time, I broke a rear Mavic Cosmic, Araya superhard anodized, 2 Rolf Vector Pros, and a Bontrager race X lite. Bullet proof wheels I'm still riding: Mavic G-40's 32 hole, Mavic SSC's 32 hole, Mavic CXP33's 32 hole, Campy Euros, Ambrosia Elites 36 hole. All those wheels had Campy hubs, with the exceptions of the Rolfs and the Bontragers.

BumbleBeeDave
04-07-2009, 06:52 AM
. . . that Bruce is capo de capo of the HED Mafia! :D

BBD

BK

deanster
04-07-2009, 07:37 AM
I am in your weight class and use open pro and DT Swiss RR1.1 as well. Both are double eyeleted and rarely have problems with pulled spokes or cracking rims around the eyelets. I run 32H, 3X, and brass nipples on campy hubs either Record or Centaur. I do a lot of riding on dirt and rough roads with my road bike. I also use Open pros on my Cross bike and do a lot of riding with my MTB friends. No real problems. If you are worried and want something truly bullet proof go for the 36H Mavic A716 (Open Pro on steroids) or the DT Swiss TK7.1 (RR1.1 on steroids). Standard hubs from Shimano, Campy, or DT Swiss all work well. The 2001 to 2006 Campy Centaur hubs have the best bang for the buck. You can get after market cassette hub bodies for the campy hubs that use the Shimano spline pattern. I have a set of touring wheels that are: Centaur 36H, 3X 14/15 spokes, brass nipples, TK7.1 rims with a shimano CHB and an 11-34t SRAM cassette (Campy Ergo 10spd shifters work nicely). I expect fully loaded touring me, and the gear will be around 270 lbs. One suggestion for wheel builders is Peter at Vecchios in Boulder, CO.

Vancouverdave
04-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Also, use the widest tire that your bike's frame will fit--700 x 25 or larger.