PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Red Chain

hmbmd
04-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Fabian Cancellara broke his SRAM Red chain ascending the Koppenburg today. Anyone have trouble with a SRAM chain?

e-RICHIE
04-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Fabian Cancellara broke his SRAM Red chain ascending the Koppenburg today. Anyone have trouble with a SRAM chain?

atmo fabian cancellara has.

johnnymossville
04-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Yep, I broke my SRAM Red Chain two weeks ago when I stood up to accelerate up a hill. I replaced it with an Ultegra and it seems a lot quieter. I'll get a new Red chain when SRAM fixes it's noise issues. Incredibly noisy for me.

Z3c
04-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Yea, I bet the German ***%#! words were flying when Fabian got back to the team car with that chain around his neck!! Versus gave it some good coverage and Graham Watson was right there as well taking pics..

Better Dead Than Red I Say!

justinf
04-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I learned this week for myself what some guys around here have been saying: might as well lose the Red cassette while you're at it. The Red group is great but the Shimano chain/cassette are just designed better.

Bruce K
04-05-2009, 09:12 PM
No issues with mine but I change them every 1200-1400 miles.

I have heard there is a new version coming out shortly that is more durable but I would have thought the pros would have it by now.

BK

cdimattio
04-06-2009, 06:30 AM
I have had a Dura Ace chain fail on a climb. I have not had a single issue with an SRAM chain in two years of use.

Maybe I am crazy, but with the relatively tight tolerances of chains I see far more potential issues with the Shimano or even Campagnolo specialized pin joining systems. The risk becomes a bit heightened for home mechanics who may change one or two chains per year. Those designs certainly present many more opportunities to do something wrong. The SRAM Powerlink makes it all a bit more idiotproof.

I am also not sure a single failure by a professional cyclist should be construed as some type of milestone event. Equipment failures happen in the pro ranks, this just happened to be one which made it to the web.

GuyGadois
04-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Didn't Saxo just switch over to SRAM a couple of weeks ago? :crap:

johnnymossville
04-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I have had a Dura Ace chain fail on a climb...

I have a friend that broke a Dura-Ace 7800 Crank arm in half while riding, right in the middle of the arm. Stuff happens, nothing is perfect.

MattTuck
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I Stuff happens, nothing is perfect.

Especially when the widely perceived preference is in the "weight" dimension, rather than the durability dimension.

Adding a few ounces across the high end groups would certainly improve durability and probably would have little effect on the ultimate performance of the rider.

johnnymossville
04-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Especially when the widely perceived preference is in the "weight" dimension, rather than the durability dimension.

Adding a few ounces across the high end groups would certainly improve durability and probably would have little effect on the ultimate performance of the rider.

so true, the weight thing is great for the marketing team, but not so great for actual riding.

palincss
04-06-2009, 11:18 AM
so true, the weight thing is great for the marketing team, but not so great for actual riding.

So, if it doesn't matter for actual genuine racers (where if tiny weight savings mattered anywhere would be the first place where they would matter) then it's actually insane for the rest of us, yes?

MattTuck
04-06-2009, 11:25 AM
then it's actually insane for the rest of us, yes?

To each his [or her] own.

But unless you are at or below 10% body fat, climbing mountains and/or passes on a regular basis or have money to blow.... there's no need to use grams as a unit of measurement for weight savings.

David Kirk
04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
To each his [or her] own.

But unless you are at or below 10% body fat, climbing mountains and/or passes on a regular basis or have money to blow.... there's no need to use grams as a unit of measurement for weight savings.

Change that to 5% body fat and I agree.

dave

johnnymossville
04-06-2009, 11:31 AM
So, if it doesn't matter for actual genuine racers (where if tiny weight savings mattered anywhere would be the first place where they would matter) then it's actually insane for the rest of us, yes?

I wouldn't go as far as insane. Maybe just a bit misguided. I would bet the UCI weight rule has probably prevented a few break-downs during races over the years but who knows really?

Do bikes really break down often anyway? Light or Heavy. It's pretty rare.

CPP
04-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Anyone apply as much power to their drive train as Cancellara?

I would think that most broken chains (those of mere mortals) are a result of a faulty installation.