PDA

View Full Version : Fierte IT Versus Ottrott

Drjimbo
04-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I am considering upgrading from my 15+ year old Merlin to a new Serotta - either Fierte IT or Ottrott. While I am in good condition (run 25+ miles a week, height 6'1" weight 175) I am not particularly flexible and at 54 years old this is not improving. Basically I am looking for a more rather than less comfortable ride, and while I enjoy cycling I ride primarily for alternative exercise (about 25-30 miles per week) and prize comfort and stability over stiffness and turn-on-a-dime handling.

My current Merlin's spec's:
Seat Tube (c-c) 58.5
Top Tube (c-c) 57.5
Head Tube Height 16
Standover Height 83+

Given my decreased flexibility I could use a slightly shorter top tube and/or a slightly taller head tube.

My LBS is recommending the Ottrott ST because of the complete custom possibilities, but says that a Fierte would be a good choice also assuming some judicious work on the stem and head tube.

I would appreciate any recommendations Serotta Forum members might have to offer.

Smiley
04-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Your personal dimensions are close to mine and a Fierte It will be a very good cost alternative to a Ottrott. I'd say the same thing if you were comparing a Meivici and a HSG Carbon or Fierte carbon. All fine bikes but if the stock one fits you can do a better job with wheel selection in making the ride more sublime.

Bruce K
04-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Smiley is da man.

If you can save on the frame, you can spend on the driveline and wheels to create something very special.

BK

Pete Serotta
04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
First off, I would recommend you get a "fitting" from someone like Smiley or your local SEROTTA dealer. At that point you can make a decision on whether the Fierte is the fit for you or you want/need an Ottrot.

For the ride specs and your "wants" the Fierte would be perfect, if it fits you the best. This is a long term investement and fit #! (especially based on what you say your flexibility is.

soulspinner
04-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I am considering upgrading from my 15+ year old Merlin to a new Serotta - either Fierte IT or Ottrott. While I am in good condition (run 25+ miles a week, height 6'1" weight 175) I am not particularly flexible and at 54 years old this is not improving. Basically I am looking for a more rather than less comfortable ride, and while I enjoy cycling I ride primarily for alternative exercise (about 25-30 miles per week) and prize comfort and stability over stiffness and turn-on-a-dime handling.

Seat Tube (c-c) 58.5
Top Tube (c-c) 57.5
Head Tube Height 16
Standover Height 83+

Given my decreased flexibility I could use a slightly shorter top tube and/or a slightly taller head tube.

My LBS is recommending the Ottrott ST because of the complete custom possibilities, but says that a Fierte would be a good choice also assuming some judicious work on the stem and head tube.

I would appreciate any recommendations Serotta Forum members might have to offer.
If your only riding 25- 30 mile per week why spend Ottrot money for less than 2 hours per week use? If its 130 miles per week go for the Ottrott. Whatever ya get enjoy and post pics.

palincss
04-05-2009, 04:23 PM

Seat Tube (c-c) 58.5
Top Tube (c-c) 57.5
Head Tube Height 16
Standover Height 83+

Can you get to a better position with stem and handlebar changes alone? As for a more comfortable ride, what tires are you using, and how much pressure do they have? Does your Merlin fit a 700x25? The extra width will let you lower your pressure to the low 80s or thereabouts, and that will make a big difference in ride comfort.

dekindy
04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
If your only riding 25- 30 mile per week why spend Ottrot money for less than 2 hours per week use? If its 130 miles per week go for the Ottrott. Whatever ya get enjoy and post pics.

+1.

Drjimbo
04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Thank you all for your prompt and thoughtful responses. Regarding a couple of points made and questions asked:

I recently had an extensive fitting by a certified Serotta fitter at my local bike shop - Signature Cycles in Manhattan. However, the original purpose of that fitting was to modify my Merlin to a better fit, e.g. lower and move the seat a bit more forward, raise the handlebars and shorten the stem. Basically Signature made as many adjustments as were possible, safe, etc., but the reach is still a bit too long and low - about a centimeter in each orientation.

Regarding tires, I am using tubulars inflated to about 115 pounds and unfortunately the clearance is insufficient for larger tires.

Regarding my low mileage - valid point, but part of my ambition in getting a better fit and feel with a new bike is to be able to ride more and to do so comfortably. Do I "need" a new bike - in the great scheme of things most of us could do with a lot less, and I am fortunate in having alternatives and options in life - but as I mentioned previously my ambition is to ride more. Also, the Merlin is about 17 years old so I have certainly made good use of it.

Thanks for all of your assistance.

Smiley
04-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Thank you all for your prompt and thoughtful responses. Regarding a couple of points made and questions asked:

I recently had an extensive fitting by a certified Serotta fitter at my local bike shop - Signature Cycles in Manhattan. However, the original purpose of that fitting was to modify my Merlin to a better fit, e.g. lower and move the seat a bit more forward, raise the handlebars and shorten the stem. Basically Signature made as many adjustments as were possible, safe, etc., but the reach is still a bit too long and low - about a centimeter in each orientation.

Regarding tires, I am using tubulars inflated to about 115 pounds and unfortunately the clearance is insufficient for larger tires.

Regarding my low mileage - valid point, but part of my ambition in getting a better fit and feel with a new bike is to be able to ride more and to do so comfortably. Do I "need" a new bike - in the great scheme of things most of us could do with a lot less, and I am fortunate in having alternatives and options in life - but as I mentioned previously my ambition is to ride more. Also, the Merlin is about 17 years old so I have certainly made good use of it.

Life is too short, if something new is what it takes to get you juiced again to ride more and take the longer road home..go for it, We have 9 bikes here and we don't need to justify to anyone what were doing with our tenth which is on its way via Kelly Bedford. Enjoy the journey

dekindy
04-06-2009, 07:33 AM
You didn't say anything about riding more, just 25-30 miles so that puts a different complexion on the situation. I can sympathize with your Merlin situation. I had a Schwimm Paramount that I was considering repainting at Waterford and installing modern components. The limiting factor was that the headtube was too low at maximum height. It was designed as a racing bike and I purchased it 20 years ago when I was in my 20's. Obviously my riding style at age 50 is different.

Unless you are going to ride 5,000+ miles per year or even if you are, a Fierte steel would be a great choice. It is a great all-arounder and with the right wheels is a dream to ride. The new Fierte titanium and carbon models would also be great choices. If I had not gotten tired of tired and chipped paint and found a bare titanium Legend with F3 fork in the Serotta Garage for less than half what you are considering paying for a Fierte IT, I would still be riding my steel Fierte and loving it! Heck, one of the young racing dudes that attends the training ride that I frequent has a steel Fierte.

jlwdm
04-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjimbo

Regarding my low mileage - valid point, but part of my ambition in getting a better fit and feel with a new bike is to be able to ride more and to do so comfortably.

Dr. Drjimbo:

If you have the desire to ride more a new bike that fits can make you ride more and more comfortably.

I have longer legs, a shorter torso and limited flexibility - a perfect candidate for a custom fit. I bought a Colnago in 1995 but had a lot of neck and shoulder pain on the bike. My riding consisted of 6 months or so of riding followed by a few years of not riding at all and then repeated the cycle.

Twenty three months ago I decided to start riding again and after 3 or 4 months of riding decided to buy a Serotta. I did not know about this forum and relied on my fitter plus a few of my own prejudices about equipment without a lot of real knowledge. Sometimes I wish I had known about this site and had a lot more knowledge when I ordered a bike but other times I wonder if all of the knowledge I have gained here in the last year plus doesn't make a purchase more difficult and complicated.

I purchased a Nove with Harlequin paint and clearcoat, record components and Ksyrium ES wheels for my 60th birthday. I did not need to spend the extra money on paint and did not need the record components among other things. But I like to buy nice things, take care of them and use them for a long time. (This forum will make you think you need to be buying new bikes all of the time though)

The first year with my Nove I rode over 5200 miles - I had never ridden 2000 miles in a year before. Now that I am a cyclist I find time to ride no matter what. With a new job in a new state I had to work every day last month, but with a light I got out a lot in the evening and rang up 700 miles. I also squeezed in a maintenance class, but I am not getting in the needed core work - maybe starting today.

So based on my experience, if you have a strong desire to ride, buy a bike you personally like (not what others like) that fits and ride the heck out of it. It will change your weekly miles - and change your life.

Jeff

deechee
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I recently had an extensive fitting by a certified Serotta fitter at my local bike shop - Signature Cycles in Manhattan.

I have met Paul Levine for two fits (one road, one tri) and trust him implicitly. I think you should trust whomever fit you from Signature Cycles; they have met more people like you and are very knowledgeable. They can also tell you specifically if an off-the-shelf Fierte will fit you well.

Pete Serotta
04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
You could not ask for a better fitter than PAUL. Go see him and ask him the same question and never look back. You will get no better adivce. PETE