PDA

View Full Version : Installing Deda Dog Fang Chain Guide

GuyGadois
04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
ok, I feel lame. :crap: This came in today but without any instructions on the recommendation of where to install it. At what height exactly do you install it on the seat tube? Any tips and recommendations.

http://www.spadout.com/images/products/o/21763.jpg

-GG-

TimD
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, by examining the shape & diameter you should be able to narrow down which tube it goes on :)

GuyGadois
04-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, by examining the shape & diameter you should be able to narrow down which tube it goes on :)

At what height exactly do you install it on the seat tube?

I am lame, but not that lame. :bike:

Smiley
04-03-2009, 05:27 PM
seat tube and I installed one on my tandem on my granny gear to prevent dropping my chain, its supposed to angle so the guide keeps the chain on if for whatever reason the front Der. trys to throw it off in a shift on the smaller granny ring. I really would not bother if its on a double.

BengeBoy
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I have one on my commuter (triple). I put mine so that the "fang" is just a little bit below the teeth on the smallest chain ring - so if chain falls off, it doesn't go very far before it hits the fang.

Don't know if that's right but I think I looked around and found a photo somewhere online...

dvs cycles
04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Fang should have the curved part forward so as not to snag the chain and should be next to the chain in the smallest ring with out touching it.
That way the chain can never go far enough to the inside to be thrown.
I use a different type on my tandem but principle is the same. :beer:

SleepyCyclist
04-03-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/tech/?id=valverde_opera/IMG_0456

M

dvs cycles
04-03-2009, 05:52 PM
One picture tells it all! :beer:

R3KC
04-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Deda has an installation guide on their website.

http://www.dedaelementi.com/En/Products/Products_Detail.aspx?SearchMode=Component&SearchComponent=Accessories&ProductIDMaster=447

dekindy
04-03-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/tech/?id=valverde_opera/IMG_0456

M

My professional bicycle mechanic installed mine so that the top of the fang is higher than the tip of the teeth on the granny ring. I guess this makes sense to prevent the chain from landing on top of the fang.

GuyGadois
04-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks everyone! I hope this helps. I dumped my chain going into the final hill of a race earlier this year. It sucked. I shifted right as the road was very bumpy and presto - to the back of the pack I went.

-GG-

L84dinr
04-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Make sure the installation is correct. I had one on my CX bike. I was certain i had it installed correctly but the dadgum chain still dropped while bunny hopping a curb in the middle of a race (i was running a single front ring w/o the front der.). Boy I lost my religion that day! I liked to broke the chain trying to wrench the chain back onto the small ring. I realize i am letting the cat out of the bag on my dumbness... but a forewarning on correct placment hopefully will help someone else.

stay hard.

MilanoTom
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
One picture tells it all! :beer:

Back in '98 I saw a photo of Pantani in VeloNews. He was hauling a** up a mountain in the Tour, and there it was, plain as day - a Third Eye Chain Watcher on his seat tube. As was the fashion of the day, this "climbing bike" had a standard front brake lever and a downtube shifter for his front derailleur, but I guess he figured it was worth a few extra grams to ensure that he couldn't drop his chain off the small ring.

Ever since I saw that photo, I just install one whenever I'm building myself a new bike, as a matter of course.

Regards,
tom

torquer
04-08-2009, 10:51 AM
A consideration when ordering one of these is getting the correct size. My bike shop ordered one for me in the same diameter as my FD clamp, but since the seat tube flared a bit as it approached the bottom bracket the dog tooth ended up a little undersized.
I made it work by using a longer bolt, but the resulting open joint is one more dirt catcher that I would just as soon not have to deal with. (So I don't; I just ride in the rain occasionally to clean the bike. ;) )