PDA

View Full Version : Carbon road fork - best way to attach

Pierre
04-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi,
I have a Look HSC3 fork (with carbon steerer) and a threadless FSA headset both installed on my bike. When I had the fork installed I did not notice that the FSA headset had come with a star-shaped attachment that fits on the inside of the fork steerer. As a result, the mechanic provided me with a different type of fastener that he indicated would be suitable for the carbon steerer - it was more of a pressure-type fitting vs. the star-type fitting. When I got home I found the star and am now wondering whether I should bother switching it up or whether they are equally secure. Can anyone comment?

Sure do love my carbon fork...makes a world of difference on my classic Marinoni steel frame.

TimD
04-03-2009, 03:49 PM
The star nut / compression plug / expansion plug does not serve to attach your fork to your frame.

The stem steerer collar does that.

The nut/plug allows you to pretension the stack before you tighten the stem steerer collar bolts.

A plug may additionally provide some modest crush resistance for the steerer tube.

Star nuts are tough to move once they are in - at least in my experience.

Plugs can be easier to move.

Hope that helps
Tim

sbornia
04-03-2009, 03:58 PM
DO NOT use a star nut on a carbon steerer tube. The expansion plug your mechanic gave you is the proper one to use.

John M
04-03-2009, 10:35 PM
+1 for sbornia's advice. star nuts are only for metal steerers!!! Use the compression plug for a carbon steerer.

Louis
04-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Sure do love my carbon fork...makes a world of difference on my classic Marinoni steel frame.

Whooo boy. The star nut issue is a safety-critical question, but CF on a classic steel bike, that's potentially even more important. Sacrilege!!!

Enjoy the bike.

Louis

victoryfactory
04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I know that you can't use a star nut on a carbon steerer,
but can you use a compression style on an aluminum steerer?

VF

dvs cycles
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that you can't use a star nut on a carbon steerer,
but can you use a compression style on an aluminum steerer?

VF

yes

Jeff N.
04-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Star nuts are for alloy or steel or Ti steerer tubes ONLY!