PDA

View Full Version : Portland cycling in NYT

fiamme red
04-03-2009, 12:51 PM
http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/travel/escapes/03Portland.html?scp=3&sq=cycling&st=cse

gasman
04-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Powell's isnot to be missed if you get to p-town. You can spend hours there and still just touch the surface.

fiamme red
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Powell's isnot to be missed if you get to p-town. You can spend hours there and still just touch the surface.One of my favorite local used bookstores had to close because of a rent increase, and a representative from Powell's came and bought most of their stock, about 30,000 used and rare books (philosophy, history, religion, classics, etc.).

I'm told that it's even bigger than the Strand in Manhattan.

jbl
04-03-2009, 01:38 PM
One of my favorite local used bookstores had to close because of a rent increase, and a representative from Powell's came and bought most of their stock, about 30,000 used and rare books (philosophy, history, religion, classics, etc.).

I'm told that it's even bigger than the Strand in Manhattan.

I've been there, but I'm not sure it's bigger than Strand. Possible. I didn't bring my tape measure. :-P

fiamme red
04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I've been there, but I'm not sure it's bigger than Strand. Possible. I didn't bring my tape measure. :-PThe Strand used to claim that it had "8 miles of books," and now after the expansion a few years ago, "18 miles of books." So you'd need a long tape measure. :)