PDA

View Full Version : Any OA sufferers out there?

jimp1234
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Here's the story. Been riding off and on for 30+ years, but the last few years been suffering chronic knee and back pain. After working with 3 or 4 fitters, cutting down on mileage, cross training, etc. I've finally gotten in to see a rheumatologist. Did one knee mri yesterday and another scheduled for Monday with a review with the Doc scheduled for next Friday. I've been preparing myself for the worst as I assume the diagnosis will be OA. Now I realize this is not a literal "death sentence" (particularly given that this illness is not like heart attacks, cancer, etc.) but after riding as long as I have its starting to feel like one. So a few questions. Anyone out there suffer with this? If so, have you figured out how to continue riding? Does it get progressively worse over time? Any meds, treatments, supplements people feel are working? Any questions I should ask my Doc? TIA

-Jim

Hardlyrob
04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I have OA in my right knee. Torn cartilage from a skiing injury that I didn't get treated for a year. So my knee is always swollen with 50 to 70cc's of fluid on it, and what my doc calls severe to extreme OA - it makes lovely crunching noises. My orthopod says keep doing what you're doing until the knee really starts to interfere. In my case it's not a question of IF I have the knee partially or fully replaced, it's a question of WHEN.

I still ride a lot - about 2k miles a year. My doc says riding is one of the best things for OA - the stronger the muscles around the affected joint, the less stress on the joint. The more I ride, the less it hurts. This time of year is tough.

I take Cosamin DS - glucosamine, chondroitin - it seems to work. Either it really works, or I believe in the placebo effect - either way my knee hurts less when I take it. I will bet you get some physical therapy - do it. Also consider a weight training regimen to keep your leg strength up - these efforts will take the stress off the joint and prolong the time before you need more invasive treatment.

I've been told by several docs that putting off a replacement as long as you can is a good idea because the technology continues to improve rather dramatically. Today's replacements are much better than those of a couple of years ago.

Good luck!

Rob

Sandy
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Do you mean osteoarthritis when you say OA?

Sandy

jimp1234
04-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Yes by OA I mean Osteoarthritis.

-Jim

EDS
04-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Here's the story. Been riding off and on for 30+ years, but the last few years been suffering chronic knee and back pain. After working with 3 or 4 fitters, cutting down on mileage, cross training, etc. I've finally gotten in to see a rheumatologist. Did one knee mri yesterday and another scheduled for Monday with a review with the Doc scheduled for next Friday. I've been preparing myself for the worst as I assume the diagnosis will be OA. Now I realize this is not a literal "death sentence" (particularly given that this illness is not like heart attacks, cancer, etc.) but after riding as long as I have its starting to feel like one. So a few questions. Anyone out there suffer with this? If so, have you figured out how to continue riding? Does it get progressively worse over time? Any meds, treatments, supplements people feel are working? Any questions I should ask my Doc? TIA

-Jim

I have RA, that manifests itself primarily in my left knee, and still ride without incident (most of the time). Running is out, which is unfortunate because I was a much better runner then I am cyclist.

beungood
04-03-2009, 06:25 PM
A coworker of mine had a debilitating form of Arthritis and started on a medivine called Umera and was shocked at how quickly he felt better to the point he is playing hockey and excercising.

palincss
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
A coworker of mine had a debilitating form of Arthritis and started on a medivine called Umera and was shocked at how quickly he felt better to the point he is playing hockey and excercising.

That's Humira http://www.humira.com/