PDA

View Full Version : Spring + Dogs = Brilliant Idea?

Onno
04-03-2009, 07:48 AM
While dodging an unusual number of unusually aggressive dogs on a lovely spring day recently, a friend and I came up with what seems like a great idea--a website map of the US that identifies houses with dogs dangerous to cyclists. This occurred to us after attempting to confront a woman whose dog came within a few inches of knocking me off my bike, who utterly ignored me. New York's dog law, like that of other states, I presume, allows dogs/owners one encounter without any liability. Part of my goal in confronting the woman was to let her know that she just had her one incident. A website where one could also record this might even have legal status, and thus be an extra incentive for dog owners to get responsible. And of course it could also be used by cyclists in advance of rides in unknown parts to know where to be especially alert.

Like most seemingly great ideas, someone has probably already thought about this. Does anyone know of such a site?

johnnymossville
04-03-2009, 09:08 AM
why not? they do it for speed traps, glory holes and just about everything else. I think it's a great idea. I have a few I'd enter in the registry.

Lifelover
04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
why not? they do it for ..., glory holes ....

Link please :banana:

false_Aest
04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I'd like to see the glory hole and speed trap maps overlaid----I have a sneaking suspicion.......

Donuts don't cut it anymore?

johnnymossville
04-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Link please :banana:

I don't have the link but I bet you could google it. LOL

Tobias
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
What keeps these sites from being abused? What would keep kids from listing your dog as a menace multiple times because you called the cops on them for loud music or something totally unrelated?

A good site could help us avoid bad dogs, or be prepared for them, but I’m not sure I’d want the reports used as “official” warnings.

WadePatton
04-03-2009, 10:55 PM
While dodging an unusual number of unusually aggressive dogs on a lovely spring day recently, a friend and I came up with what seems like a great idea--a website map of the US that identifies houses with dogs dangerous to cyclists. This occurred to us after attempting to confront a woman whose dog came within a few inches of knocking me off my bike, who utterly ignored me. New York's dog law, like that of other states, I presume, allows dogs/owners one encounter without any liability. Part of my goal in confronting the woman was to let her know that she just had her one incident. A website where one could also record this might even have legal status, and thus be an extra incentive for dog owners to get responsible. And of course it could also be used by cyclists in advance of rides in unknown parts to know where to be especially alert.

Like most seemingly great ideas, someone has probably already thought about this. Does anyone know of such a site?

I've actually entertained the thought of doing this or helping to get it done. If I were more web-savish, it'd be started already.

And I'd emphasize that dogs dangerous to cyclists may also be dangerous to motorcyclists, pedestrians, equestrians, as well as inexperienced motorists. Also that the animal may be injured as well.

A full site would quote or link to the applicable laws for each state-maybe even each locality, with contact information for proper filing of complaints.

Matters absolutely not how many times an animal is "falsely reported" as a restrained dog is perfectly legal and enforcement won't be working from the site, only from official reports/complaints.

wp

Somebody dig in and do it. I can light up a few counties of TN.

AND WE LOVE DOGS!

Kines
04-04-2009, 05:18 AM
I have to admit, I had to Google "glory hole" just for a definition. I think I would have been OK having never read about "men's genitals touching other men's genitals". Oh well, it's done now.

KN