PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust...

benb
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm surprised there is no discussion on Cannondale here. Did I miss it?

Cannondale laying off 200 US employees, moving remaining production to Asia (http://www.velonews.com/article/90139/cannondale-to-cut-pa-workforce)

Kind of sad even though I think I expected it once Dorel took them over.

Are the high end Trek OCLV frames the only mass market bikes left made in the US? (Not counting low volume stuff or single-builder operations)

I love my Serotta, I hate the prices, but I better start saving my pennies for the next time I want/need another bike.

I don't really have anything against Asian made bikes.. I just really despise US based companies stamping their brand name on something made in Asia and not passing on any cost savings. (E.x. I will happily ride a Giant, but I'll pass on a Specialized and now Cannondale)

Kind of irrelevant, even though I have loved the ride of the Cannondale's I've test rode (Aluminum) and would have loved to have one in the garage, I've never really been able to fit on one.

bfd
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Not surprising if you following this website:

In February 2008, Dorel Industries announced the acquisition of Cannondale and Sugoi clothing in an all-cash transaction of $190 million to $200 million. Dorel purchased Pacific Cycle (Schwinn, Mongoose, and GT Bicycle brands) in 2004.

http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

Given that Pacific Cycles, Schwinn, Mongoose and GT are now all made in China, its pretty obvious that C'dale was next. Too bad.

Btw, does anyone know where Trek-Kleins are made these days? Don't tell me, China?

jhcakilmer
04-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Very sad indeed! I have been a big supporter of c'dale, I've had several of their frames (still have a cadd8).

I agree with the original intentions of globalization, but doesn't it appear that China controls a monopoly of the worlds manufacturing? This is something we're going to regret, and seems hypocritical to allow a communist country to exploit it's own populous workforce.

rwsaunders
04-02-2009, 06:55 PM
China or Taiwan regarding the bike production? There was an article in the March 2009 issue of Cycling Plus magazine regarding a bicycle manufacturing consortium from Taiwan called the A-Team.

The 22 company organization includes FSA, Giant, Merida, Wellgo and others and has essentially become the bike and bike component manufacturers for the world...Trek, Giant, Specialized, Colnago, Scott, Dahon and now Cannondale to name a few. Michale Tseng is the President of Merida, to whom the article refers to as the most important man in the bike industry.

alluphill
04-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Now we can't buy a painted Schwinn, Giant, C'dale, etc without risking our health.

BumbleBeeDave
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
. . . is the "news" story that doesn't really give us any news. The headline on the home page says "Dorel to expand Connecticut operations" as if the company is actually growing in the US. But the downsizing and offshore outsourcings listed in the story include cutting 200 people in Bedford, closing product development centers in Longmont, Colorado, and Lake Forest, California, but not giving any concrete info on how much the CT facility will be "expanded." How many jobs exactly--in addition to the 200 cuts in Bedford--will be eliminated by the CO and CA closings and by how many jobs, exactly, will the CT facility be "expanded?" "Expanded" could mean 10 jobs--or even just one. But it doesn't say. Did the reporter ask those questions? Hmmm . . . .

BBD

Charles M
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I just bought one...

And as long as the guys in R&D remain and the guys servicing the field remain for the most part, I'll buy another one.

I Want Sachs?
04-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Now we can't buy a painted Schwinn, Giant, C'dale, etc without risking our health.

Taiwan is not China.

It is sad that some of the high end bike riders among us are still so ignorant of geography/politics/culture of other countries.

Asia is a huge place with many different culture and people.

Saying Taiwan (Asian) paint is polluted like China (Asian), is like saying Drug Lord of Mexico (North Americans) are on a killing spree in Saratoga NY (North America).

Marcusaurelius
04-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Never owned a cannondale but I did always admired their made in usa manufacturing.

gman
04-03-2009, 05:42 AM
I thought Mexico was in Central America?

Maybe I am part of the populace you identified. Taiwan is not China.

It is sad that some of the high end bike riders among us are still so ignorant of geography/politics/culture of other countries.

Asia is a huge place with many different culture and people.

Saying Taiwan (Asian) paint is polluted like China (Asian), is like saying Drug Lord of Mexico (North Americans) are on a killing spree in Saratoga NY (North America).

peanutgallery
04-03-2009, 06:54 AM
It was pure folly.

Ultimately, this was the beginning of the end for Cannondale. It all went downhill from there, lots of core employees were caught in the fall-out. After that were the bankruptcies and sales. Great products, some great designs, great employees and a great run while it lasted. I will stick to American designed and produced, thank you...preferably hand-made

Vancouverdave
04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
I heard that C-dale needed to save money to build another factory--after their smashing success taking on the big Japanese companies in the offroad motorcycle field, they want to go after Sharp in TV's and Toyota in cars.
Expect Cannondale cars and televisions for sale in 2012.

johnnymossville
04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I hope a few of the more enterprising employees that are going to be let go start something on their own and keep building CAAD 9 style bikes for a niche market. Those Spooky bikes are looking REALLY good to me right now.

Big Dan
04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Bought a new one last January. It's a sweet frame indeed.

deechee
04-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I just really despise US based companies stamping their brand name on something made in Asia and not passing on any cost savings.

uh. Dorel is a Canadian furniture company. In fact, Quebec.

johnnymossville
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I think most of the cost savings cannot be passed on to the consumer because much of it goes straight into the marketing budget (advertising, racing teams, etc,...) and for possibly a slightly higher margin for the shop owner.

Tobias
04-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Now we can't buy a painted Schwinn, Giant, C'dale, etc without risking our health. :confused: Do you lick or gnaw on your bike? ;)

I Want Sachs?
04-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I thought Mexico was in Central America?

Mexico is a part of North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico

goonster
04-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Taiwan is not China.
China disagrees.

johnnymossville
04-03-2009, 01:36 PM
:confused: Do you lick or gnaw on your bike? ;) LOL

Jeff N.
04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I cut my cycling teeth on a Cannondale 3.2 Aluminum way back when. They were almost considered an elite brand back then. How things have changed. Sold all my 'Dales long ago except the T-1000 tandem, which I consider the best semi-cheapo off-the-rack tandem out there. Jeff N.

sspielman
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
:confused: Do you lick or gnaw on your bike? ;)

LOL...I have a co-worker who says that lead paint chips ingested by children do not cause brain damage....that only an idiotic kid would eat paint chips in the first place....

csm
04-03-2009, 03:12 PM
China disagrees.

In fact I think they vehemently disagree.
saying Taiwan is not part of China is sorta like saying Georgia is not part of the United States.

OperaLover
04-03-2009, 03:35 PM
China disagrees.

I believe the party line is that Taiwan is a "renegade province." The original Taiwanese preople were displaced by Chang Kai Shek and the Koumintang (Nationalist Party) when Mao and the Communist Party drove out them from the mainland. Officially, I beleive the the PRC and Taiwan (ROC) are still at war.

sevencyclist
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM
In fact I think they vehemently disagree.
saying Taiwan is not part of China is sorta like saying Georgia is not part of the United States.

It's more like saying Georgia (the country) is not part of Russia, or Falkland Islands is not part of England.

Manufacturing wise, China has no significant control on Taiwanese production.

US government has regulatory power over production in the State of Georgia.

sevencyclist
04-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Taiwan is not China.

Agreed. However, they are getting cozier in bed.

csm
04-03-2009, 04:04 PM
It's more like saying Georgia is not part of Russia, or Falkland Islands is not part of England.

Manufacturing wise, China has no significant control on Taiwanese production.

US government has regulatory power over production in the State of Georgia.
I did say sorta....

fiamme red
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
:confused: Do you lick or gnaw on your bike? ;)http://www.lickbike.com/

majorpat
04-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Hey, I'll wave the flag here!

Glad to say I have three USA Cannondales:
1987 SR500 (thats right, the one with the cool junior varsity airbrushing)
1999 F1000
2006 R1000

Interesting how US manufacturing has, in the case of bikes, evolved back to cottage industry style business. Lots of choices and lots of out of the mainstream ideas generates innovation and unique solutions. Maybe we could get Sachs, Serotta and Weigle to get into alternative fuel vehicles.