PDA

View Full Version : One week summer ride/vacation suggestions

Steve in SLO
04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi all, 50th BD looms in July and my wife and I have been talking about taking a trip for a week to a destination where I can road ride daily for a couple of hours and where the entire family (kids ages 9 and 11) can have fun, too. As some some of you know, I pretty much live in biking nirvana (San Luis Obispo, CA), but I'd love to try somewhere new.
We'll have about a week. I'd like to keep it within the USA, Canada. It will be in the end of July, so heat rules out some places. Mountains are better than flats. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks! :beer:

trophyoftexas
04-02-2009, 09:44 AM
When it heats up here in Texas, this is where I head to! LOTS of neat little places for wife and kids to hang out while you ride, hilly enough to be a "little" challenge but not too hard...lots of neat little towns to ride to, eat lunch, return....just a really laid back nice location with OUTSTANDING routes and road surfaces!!! Surrounded by Lake Michigan and the Traverse Bay's, it's usually in the upper 70's most days, occasional day in the 60's and in the 80's. The kids will love the Sleeping Bear Dunes park-area, especially North Bar Lake/beach....by 11 year old granddaughter CAN'T WAIT to head up there each summer. Places for easy kiyaking (easy stuff the wife and kids can do and still enjoy the challange), hiking, fishing, sailing, swimming,.....just a neat area that also doesn't have to be too pricey. I can hook you up with a nice cabin RIGHT where you need to be for a VERY reasonable price. My sister and her daughter have places up there and they rent a couple of nice cabins for a week for well under $1000.00....the smaller one that may work for you is totally remodeled and VERY nice...it would sleep two adults and two kids pretty nicely. Let me know if you decide to go this way and I'll put you in contact with them. We MAY be up there about that same time and I'd be happy to help you with routes, places, etc.....

joelh
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Brekenridge Colorado, is close to heaven that time of year. I am going to be out in early July and plan on taking my bike with me. Don't know how I will do with the altitude, but I will find out.

sbornia
04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
This may already be a "been there, done that" for you, but San Francisco would give you great riding and plenty of family stuff to do. If you stayed near Sausalito or Mill Valley [and don't roll through stop signs, see recent thread] you could get out for several different 2-3 hour rides and also be perfectly situated to check out the city, Napa/Sonoma, Berkeley, etc. Lots of urban and outdoor activities within easy reach. And no flying costs, either.

rnhood
04-02-2009, 10:36 AM
There is probably a good reason so many people come to Western NC then, decide to retire here. If you are looking for things to do, activities to participate in, a wealth of arts and crafts, and the finest bike riding east of the Mississppi then WNC is the place. Forget about staying in Asheville, the outsiders have driven up the price to hideous levels. But, you can stay in any of a number of outlying towns such as Sylva, Franklin, Waynesville, Black Mountain, etc very reasonably and enjoy all that WNC has to offer. The mountains are gorgeous and full of life - especially in July.

And did I say bike riding was good around here.

Ray
04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd say a cool little town in the Rockies, like Telluride or Crested Butte or Taos or someplace. Probably more suited to a cyclocross bike than a pure roadie (lots of the prettiest and quietest roads are dirt), but beautiful, cool, things to do in the summer, etc. The Finger Lake in upstate New York might do it for you and your wife (lots of wineries, nice inns and stuff), but I'm not sure what there'd be for the kids to do. There's always Amish Country in my neck of the woods, but it can get pretty brutally steamy around here in July. Not always, but always possible.

The wildcard in most places is finding stuff for the kids, since they probably don't get off on playing tourist.

-Ray

paczki
04-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Waitsfield/Middlebury Vermont area. Beautiful, climby, and different from California.
Lots of fun stuff to do for everyone. That's where I'm going!

dogdriver
04-02-2009, 10:47 AM
For spring or fall, I would have said Moab. Too hot in July, although you could ride early in the day and be OK.

Since you're in a perfect place for July riding, may I suggest a "home vacation"? I live in a resort town, and my family and I declare one of these 3-4 times a year. It takes some committment-- everyone must agree to do nothing that resembes daily chores. No bill paying, lawn mowing, house fixing, etc. Go out to eat twice a day, do something locally that the tourists come on vacation to do, make a plan for daily rides that someone would do if they came to your locale on vacation.

Otherwise, any western mountain town. I'll bet Durango would be a hoot. Or Steamboat, and go say hi to the Moots boys and girls. You could even catch one of their daily rides from the factory ...

My $.02, Chris

Pete Serotta
04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I would say Vermont.......You could fly in ALBANY (see SEROTTA plant) ride in that area and then drive into Vermont...something different and usually beautiful at that time of year.

ps - you are right you live in one of my two favorite riding areas. (VT is the other)

PETE

Buzz
04-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Pete makes a good suggestion.

My folks have a summer place in Lake Placid. Two years ago we flew in and out of Albany. Stopped at the Serotta plant. Great facility and tour- we actually ran into Pete there. Saratoga is a neat town. Depending upon when you go the summer horse racing season will be going on. The track is essentially right in town. Actually a great place to take the family for the day.

Vermont and / or the Adirondacks are very beautiful. Lots to do in those locations. Our kids really liked the Shelburne Museum outside of Burlington.
Lake Placid is good for a couple of days - a nice clean lake to swim in - the olympic facilities to tour - you can do a bobsled ride, Gondola or hike up Whiteface Mt. Plenty of riding there. Just make sure you don't go as the same time as Ironman - usually last week in July.

Have fun!

GuyGadois
04-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Lompoc? Cooler in the summer and close to home.

-GG-

Kervin
04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Take a look at Central Virginia. I live near Charlottesville and the riding is great. For stuff to do, there is a really nice downtown area, Thomas Jefferson's home, University of Virginia, Winery Tours, Shanondha National park, The AT and it's a bit more than two hours drive from all the Washington DC stuff.

the Va countryside is more beautiful than almost ANY french country road I've ever ridden. I can not tell a lie, it's to die for. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42265&page=2&pp=15&highlight=charlottesville)

ols
04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
My wife and I had a great week of cycling in Oregon, including rides around Mt Hood/Columbia River Gorge, Bend (Mt Bachelor) and Crater Lake. Very cool lodges at Mt Hood and Crater Lake and Bend has great hiking/kayaking/mtn biking along the Deschutes River as well

gman
04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Brekenridge Colorado, is close to heaven that time of year. I am going to be out in early July and plan on taking my bike with me. Don't know how I will do with the altitude, but I will find out.

I am going there in June for the first time...with bike of course.

I have been to Boulder and it is my favorite place in the continental US. To the OP...I would check it out.

Ken Robb
04-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Leslie and I have had two wonderful visits to Canandaigua, NY. Wonderful rides, clear water lake, good restaurants, lakeside resort, cabins, great B+B, Douglas Brooks as a tour guide, Erie Canal towpath fro flat scenic family rides, easy access via Buffalo or Rochester airports, short drive to Niagara Falls, etc. This is like another world for us Californians. :beer:

gasman
04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=ols]My wife and I had a great week of cycling in Oregon, including rides around Mt Hood/Columbia River Gorge, Bend (Mt Bachelor) and Crater Lake. Very cool lodges at Mt Hood and Crater Lake and Bend has great hiking/kayaking/mtn biking along the Deschutes River as well[/QUO

No Oregon would be a bad choice. Too many Oregonians and you might like it here. ;)

alluphill
04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
The Natchez Trace - 550 miles from Nashville to Natchez.

old fat man
04-02-2009, 04:17 PM
i really enjoyed riding through yellowstone last summer. i exited the northeast (cooke city) and continued to cody, wy. if your family is interested in seeing interesting natural and animal stuff while you torture yourself on dead indian pass or beartooth pass then yellowstone would be a blast. might be busy in july but i still found campsites without advance notice.

TAW
04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I live in Missouri and have some rollers and a trainer in the basement.
How does $500 a week with free breakfast sound? ;)

Steve in SLO
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks, all for your thoughtful replies.
TAW, If you can put up one of those big wall murals of a forest in your basement, I might just give you $350/wk for it.
At this time, BC, OR and CO sound like front runners, although NC, VT and NY are intriguing. We vacation on the Oregon coast every year, but we haven't been to Crater Lake or Bend as a family. Colorado, esp Durango is also a possibility since my son LOVES the Durango-Silverton Scenic RR (we went last year). Wherever we go will definately be a balancing act between my cycling and the desires of my 11 year old son with autism who doesn't really like to hike too muich and a 9 year old daughter who will whine about not being near her friends. My wife will be happy just not having to cook/clean (camping is out).

Ray
04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks, all for your thoughtful replies.
TAW, If you can put up one of those big wall murals of a forest in your basement, I might just give you $350/wk for it.
At this time, BC, OR and CO sound like front runners, although NC, VT and NY are intriguing. We vacation on the Oregon coast every year, but we haven't been to Crater Lake or Bend as a family. Colorado, esp Durango is also a possibility since my son LOVES the Durango-Silverton Scenic RR (we went last year). Wherever we go will definately be a balancing act between my cycling and the desires of my 11 year old son with autism who doesn't really like to hike too muich and a 9 year old daughter who will whine about not being near her friends. My wife will be happy just not having to cook/clean (camping is out).
I'd avoid North Carolina in the dead of summer. Even up in the mountains, it can get REALLY hot down there. Its a beautiful area and definitely worth a visit, but its more of a spring or fall destination in my mind. I wouldn't recommend Amish Country in the dead of summer either, but I'd do Amish Country before I'd do NC in July. The Durango area is wonderful, but I'd bring a bike that can handle dirt. There are a limited number of paved roads out of Durango and they carry traffic I'd rather not compete with given the lack of alternate routes. But there's dirt everywhere and it gets you up into some passes that are incredibly beautiful.

-Ray

mgm777
04-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I would suggest a week in Beaver Creek Village. From there you can do many fabulous daily out and backs and loops covering some incredible scenery. Also, there is a great bike trail that goes from Avon over Vail Pass down to Frisco and Dillon. Gorgeous scenery that time of year. For the family, Beaver Creek Village has many attractions and is a short drive from Vail Village, Glenwood Springs, Avon, and Edwards. I love those areas in July. Plenty of hiking, shopping, mtb riding, road riding and general sight seeing. I personally like Beaver Creek simply because it is tucked away in the mtns away from I-70. Good luck.

Michael

97CSI
04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Durango, CO would be a good central point. Nice back roads for riding in all directions. Especially north. And plenty to keep the kids occupied with Mesa Verde just west, narrow gauge train that runs up to Silverton. Plan on an all-day trip if you take the train. I recommend getting the ticket that gives you a ride back on a bus. Round-trip on the steam train is a long day. If you are into camping, the former KGA about 4-miles north of town has small cabins right on the river. Day trip over to Telluride. Some decent restaurants. My guess is that the economy won't be fully recovered so the crowd will be considerably smaller this summer. Rent a jeep and do the mining road drive up into the mountains from Silverton. You will be amazed at the views and astounded at the ability of a jeep to up, down and over obstacles on those mountain roads. As much as I enjoy riding in CO, the best single day I've had out there was when my brother and I rented a jeep and spent the day visiting the closed mines and driving up and over 12,000' feet on the back roads. Make sure you take coats. It was snow and sleet off and on at those heights. Also take some good binoculars to look at the mountain goats and elk, etc.

northbend
04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Another plug for Oregon. Your family ski or snowboard? Mt Hood has summer skiing on the palmer snowfield. By late July it's like skiing on the moon...

jabbahop
04-03-2009, 06:55 AM
my wife and I are going to try this @ the end of june. We haven't been there but it is a beautiful area.

Le P'itt Train Du Nord (http://www.laurentians.com/parclineaire/)

WadePatton
04-03-2009, 09:08 AM
The Natchez Trace - 550 miles from Nashville to Natchez.

[and Ray gets it, I meant to include NC as well]
Some of us Southerners seem to forget that it's hot and muggy here in July. And unlike seaside locales, there's no cooling breeze in the evening. And the very little of the Trace that I've ridden--I didn't like. It's cut wide-open like a superhighway. I like tight canopies of trees and shrubberies and such for part of my rides. Local rider drives down into MS and rides his bike back up this way-in summer (and he spends a lot of time cooling off in the creeks along the way).

My vote-Michigan. A friend toured a lake up there last summer. Supported tour-she loved it. No dogs, no litter, no probs-with nice temps in July/Aug.

50?! isn't that the one where you start counting birthdays by 5's or 10's. :D

all right, easy on the keypad--i'm only seven years back.