PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bike wheels

Dekonick
04-01-2009, 02:29 PM
OK - I have a nice dual suspension frame fork that is in need of bits. I have a sram x9 group, but its canti - the bike will work with canti or disk.

As I prefer to ride road, I am not looking to put a lot of $$ into the project -

What suggestions do yall have for wheels, tires, (tube? Tubless? disk only? Combo wheels?)

I assume I can put a disk brake on the fork, and keep the cant's on the rear without much worry - but I will probably just go canti for the moment.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I do not own any mountain bike wheels - the frame is for 26" wheels with 135 spacing (2001 Ellsworth Truth - made a trade with a fellow forumite - Thanks! I like the frame!)

Ken Robb
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Performance has Mavic rims on XT hubs for about $190 on sale. I have similar wheels and they are dandy.

gdw
04-01-2009, 03:57 PM
What type of trails are you planning to ride?
Will you ride in wet conditions, Snow, rain, mud?
Do you care how much the bike weighs?
How much do you want to spend?
Do you know how to build wheels? If so, are you willing to build this set?

Dekonick
04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
ok - I dont care about weight.

mountain biking is best when the weather sucks - otherwise go on the road right?

Paptasco state park (maryland) -
single track, mud, rocks, roots. Not a downhill type of guy - for that they make skis

No time to make wheels -

~ $200 range I guess. Beefy is better.

gdw
04-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd go with full disc brakes if you're riding in the muck often. See if you can pick up a decent set of wheels with Shimano XT 6 bolt hubs and decent quality cross country rims. Avoid the inexpensive factory wheels like the FSA XC300's. There is a good reason why they are always on sale. Buy some Avid BB7 discs to go with them. They are the best non hydrolic discs and will work great with your V brake levers. You can pick up a new set for around $100 and they are worth the investment.
I have no experience with factory tubeless rims but have converted standard rims and used regular wheels with mixed results. I was impressed until I tore a side casing and the goo sprayed all over the bike. Good luck.

xjoex
04-01-2009, 05:25 PM
As someone who spent four years of college riding Patapsco I'd say go for disc brakes if you can. Avid BB7 are cheap and work with your v-brake levers.

Patapsco is muddy for the entire winter.

However McKeldin is great if you can make it out there.

I got a set of XTR/Mavic 717 from http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com and they are pretty bomber.

-Joe

Dekonick
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
As someone who spent four years of college riding Patapsco I'd say go for disc brakes if you can. Avid BB7 are cheap and work with your v-brake levers.

Patapsco is muddy for the entire winter.

However McKeldin is great if you can make it out there.

I got a set of XTR/Mavic 717 from http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com and they are pretty bomber.

-Joe

Thanks!

I used to ride MeKeldin and Paptasco a bunch too - back when I was in college. Hard tail Bridgestone MB-6 - heavy as hell, but I loved that bike. It has been probably 10+ years since I have bothered to think about riding in the park again... but now... I think it would be a welcome diversion on nasty days. Thanks for the advice on the Avid BB7's - esp if they work with my canti levers... and I like the simplicity of cables.

Ill check the link.

Dekonick
04-01-2009, 10:33 PM
OK - wheels on the way.

Now - avid BB7's - which size rotor? 160?

gdw
04-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Basic guidelines though opinions vary.
160mm for general cross country riding if you're under 170. 185mm if you're heavier or really aggressive and fast. 203mm if you're a clydesdale. A lot of people run a larger rotor in the front and the next smaller size in the rear to balance the power - larger rotors offer more powerful breaking.

BB7's are on sale at Jensons.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR291C01-Avid+Bb7+Mechanical+Disc+Brake+09.aspx