PDA

View Full Version : Good Price For SRAM Red Shifters?

93legendti
04-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Anyone have an idea? I am tempted to try out SRAM Red. Thanks.

Smiley
04-01-2009, 11:07 AM
don't be such a weight weenie, I think the Rival and Force will do as an experiment :)

Carbon is real - - Steel is ancient :p

Pete Serotta
04-01-2009, 12:00 PM

Smiley - are you switching to carbon??

ThasFACE
04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I got my Red gear off of the bay using the live discount. Ended up being far cheaper than anything alse I could find.

I hear tell, however, that force is probably the way to go given the relative premium for Red and the minimal weight savings.

Either way I think you'll be pleased that you made the effort. I'm pretty heavily invested into Campa stuff, but the I like Red so much that I am entertaining thoughts of switching over my other sleds to SRAM. The hoods are great and the shifting is both ridiculous-quick and ridiculous-precise.

93legendti
04-01-2009, 06:45 PM
don't be such a weight weenie, I think the Rival and Force will do as an experiment :)

I see new sets of Red shifters for $360 on eBay. Any time I buy something "inexpensive" to try it out, it costs me more when I upgrade to what I should have bought to begin with.

Chris
04-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I see new sets of Red shifters for $360 on eBay. Any time I buy something "inexpensive" to try it out, it costs me more when I upgrade to what I should have bought to begin with.

Truer words have never been spoken. I can't tell you the number of times I "settled" only to end up buying up later anyway.

1centaur
04-02-2009, 05:10 AM
$360 is a good deal.

I considered Red for a recent build (I've had Rival on the trainer for years). I had the LBS put a Red-equipped bike in a stand and shifted up and down the gears a few times, fast and slow. That was enough for me to say no. Clack, clack rather than click click would bother me out on the road. Functional but not elegant, the lack of heft in the parts broadcasting itself on every shift. Sounded like a few grams of rubber could have made it classier.

Climb01742
04-02-2009, 06:01 AM
adam, while experimenting is fun and if you can do it cheaply, what's the downside...i'd still caution you that even at the red level, sram feels far clunkier than shimano. just my opinion, of course. i really wanted to love sram because the hoods just felt so good but the shifting lost it for me. my experiment with sram, both force and red, was more frustrating than fun. as always, YRMV. but i'd hate to see a pal "waste" (subjectively, of course) time and money. ;)

93legendti
04-02-2009, 08:24 AM
adam, while experimenting is fun and if you can do it cheaply, what's the downside...i'd still caution you that even at the red level, sram feels far clunkier than shimano. just my opinion, of course. i really wanted to love sram because the hoods just felt so good but the shifting lost it for me. my experiment with sram, both force and red, was more frustrating than fun. as always, YRMV. but i'd hate to see a pal "waste" (subjectively, of course) time and money. ;)
Thanks Jim. Keeping everyone's comments in mind, last night I found Force levers, a Rival rear der. and a Red fr. der. on eBay. It seemed to be the best combination of value, weight and price.

This is for my BF Speeding Tikit. The thought of lopping off close to 1/2 lb froma travel bike was too tempting.

You and I seem to agree on matters of cycling and I love the Shimano hoods and feel. Campy hurts my thumbs. So, we will see how it goes.

Thanks all for your comments and PMs!