PDA

View Full Version : riding in San Diego (La Jolla)

Ken Robb
12-17-2004, 03:48 PM
I took some pix on my ride today. If you are up to your butt in snow I feel your pain. I spent my first 22 years in Chicago. This is about 1.5 miles from home and my office is near the tall building on the water. The woodsy place is the cyclocross course at UCSD. Good riding. Come on down.

flydhest
12-17-2004, 03:59 PM
In addition to not liking Keith A anymore, Ken Robb is falling in my esteem. Sheesh. Seriously, though, I was out in San Diego in October when my wife had a conference and I got in a couple rides with a buddy who lives in Carlsbad. You guys have some nice riding. Of course, he was a little chilly because it was around 65 those days. I pointed out that in Maine, they call that summah.

Ken Robb
12-17-2004, 04:21 PM
In Scotland it's a heat wave.

dave thompson
12-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Ken: Bite me, X 3!!!

bcm119
12-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Aahh, I can almost smell the eucalyptus trees. Now is the best time of year down there, especially right after a storm. But I could do without the June Gloom on the coast... Gloom, of course, being a geographically relative term. Happy riding.

Jeff N.
12-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Right on, Ken. We're just too lucky, man. Like I always like to say: Another ho-hum day in paradise. Leaving on a ride tomorrow(Saturday)out of the parking lot just south of the Mission Bay Hilton, 8AM. Usually we ride Sunday, but with the Chargers playing early, I want to be glued to the tube for that.
Should be a gorgeous ride up the coast, with all the gnarly surfer dudes hittin' the 10 footers that're supposed to come in. Jeff N.

Litespeeder
12-17-2004, 09:03 PM
I went to high school in Del Mar where my parents had moved to escape the San Francisco city life. Del Mar borders La Jolla from the north. The weather was nice put the smog was bad and the landscape was desert. I found the people to be simple minded and not very ambitious. I would describe San Diego as a cultural wasteland. After high school I went back to the San Francisco area to attend college at California Berkeley. After 4 years in the San Diego area, San Francisco was like going to utopia. San Francisco has some great riding, and IMO it represents the best of what California has to offer. I now live in the east coast and eventhough we do get some snow here, the lush green vegetation, the ambitious attitudes that most east coasters have, the scenery and the cultural activities make this place seem like a paradise compared to San Diego. So keep your desert wasteland. It's all yours.

:D

slowgoing
12-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Yeah, California sucks, especially San Diego. I'd never come back if I were you.

Jeff N.
12-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Desert wasteland? When did you live here, 1920? Anyway, while I'm riding in 75 degree weather with blue, smog-free skies (today was gorgeous), you can go out in your front yard and build a snowman. :fight: Jeff N.

Ken Robb
12-17-2004, 11:16 PM
A lot of the people I knew in high school were simple-minded too but we got over it.

oracle
12-17-2004, 11:26 PM
"the ambitious attitudes that most east coasters have"

doesn't calli have the world's fourth largest enconomy?

oracle

jeffg
12-18-2004, 11:07 AM
La Jolla has amazing weather for riding, but in terms of terrain what I yearn for is Northern California. Santa Cruz Mountains, East Bay Hills, Sonoma, whatever. Absolutely singular IMHO. Now, I would love to ride at my sister's in Carlsbad or near my mom's on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, but I try to sneak away and visit my friends in Portola Valley! :banana: :banana:

markw
12-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Riding sucked yesterday on my 19 mile commute home. Santa Anna winds were fierce going eastbound towards Santee. I guess it could be worse, it could've been snowing. :)

Jeff N.
12-19-2004, 10:46 AM
I spotted about a hundred surfers at Swami's, all fighting over the (what looked like) 10 foot glassy waves yesterday on my "Tour de Usual" 50 mile ride up-and back down-the coast yesterday. Weather was superb and no headwinds to speak of. All cross wind. Lotsa bikes out there. Now its time for some FOOTBALL! GO CHARGERS!!! GO KANSAS CITY! (If Denver loses and the Chargers win, the Chargers sew up the AFC Western Division). Jeff N.

Trouble
12-19-2004, 11:53 AM
When my little bro lived in Oceanside I would shoot over there for long weekends. Loved riding along the coast and I did a couple of inland rides and some on the base.
Now he lives in San Jose and I can't wait to fly out there (with bike of course) and do some rides.

Yesterday I took off at 8:30am for my usual Saturday 50 miler. It was a chilly high 50's at the start and warmed up to the mid 60's, beautiful, sunny, clear blue sky that I wouldn't trade for anything. I love the riding in Tucson. :banana:

Ken Robb
12-19-2004, 11:57 AM
I rode the coast the other way. I've never seen so many body, boogie, and board surfers at one time. All the way from Blacks' Beach, past La Jolla Cove, Wind n' Sea, to Mission Beach. The waves were about perfect: 10-15 feet with the off-shore wind that made Mark W's ride eastward tough holding them up for loooong rides. Water temp was only 60F so wetsuits on most folks in the water.

Jeff N.
12-19-2004, 02:46 PM
When my little bro lived in Oceanside I would shoot over there for long weekends. Loved riding along the coast and I did a couple of inland rides and some on the base.
Now he lives in San Jose and I can't wait to fly out there (with bike of course) and do some rides.

Yesterday I took off at 8:30am for my usual Saturday 50 miler. It was a chilly high 50's at the start and warmed up to the mid 60's, beautiful, sunny, clear blue sky that I wouldn't trade for anything. I love the riding in Tucson. :banana:I did Tour de Tucson a few weeks back. My first time doing it. With the exception of having to dismount to walk through two dry river beds, I had a blast! Very flat Century (111 miles, actually) with a few rolling hills. Did it in 6:22. Felt good all day. Jeff N. :beer:

Trouble
12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
I did Tour de Tucson a few weeks back. My first time doing it. With the exception of having to dismount to walk through two dry river beds, I had a blast! Very flat Century (111 miles, actually) with a few rolling hills. Did it in 6:22. Felt good all day. Jeff N. :beer:

I came in around 6:48 elapsed time with a 6:05 ride time.
So, you thought it was "Very flat?"
If all goes well, I'm going out to Palm Springs to do the Tour de Palm Springs.

Jeff N.
12-19-2004, 06:13 PM
I came in around 6:48 elapsed time with a 6:05 ride time.
So, you thought it was "Very flat?"
If all goes well, I'm going out to Palm Springs to do the Tour de Palm Springs.Well, maybe not VERY flat, but I'd say mostly flat. So we came in around the same time it sounds like. (I wish they'd get rid of that last 11 miles!)I heard Palm Springs is pretty flat as well. I won't be doing that one, but I do Solvang every March. The Solvang Century is far and away my favorite ride of all, Century or otherwise. I can HIGHLY recommend it, but I wouldn't call Solvang an easy Century. I believe its rated "difficult". Jeff N. PS: My Chargers did it! They took the AFC West! :beer:

Lost Weekend
12-19-2004, 07:34 PM
It's been great weather here up the coast from you all too. Unfortunately I'm in between road bikes so I had to take my hearty uni-vega cross out for a jaunt.Clad in just shorts and t-shirt. Almost went shirtless but didn't won't to freak anyone out with my farmers tan.
Lots of surfer's on big waves and even saw some bikinis on the beach!!! :)