PDA

View Full Version : IRD cassettes

Smiley
04-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Thinking of switching to a 12-32 IRD 10 speed rear cassette from my 12-28 SRAM for my Co-Mo tandem. Anybody use IRD 10 speed cassettes with favorable experiances.

MarcusPless
04-01-2009, 08:51 AM
My GF ran an IRD 11-28 (I think it was 11-28, definitely an IRD) 10 speed cassette on her otherwise Dura-Ace 10 speed bike for a couple of years. There was one spot on the cassette, around the 3rd or 4th cog in from the smallest cog, that never shifted quite right; she always had to play with the shifter a bit to make that shift. Different people tried adjusting it but no one was ever able to make it shift cleanly over the entire cassette. Replacing it with an Ultegra 12-27 cleared things right up.

--Marcus

RudAwkning
04-01-2009, 09:45 AM
My GF ran an IRD 11-28 (I think it was 11-28, definitely an IRD) 10 speed cassette on her otherwise Dura-Ace 10 speed bike for a couple of years. There was one spot on the cassette, around the 3rd or 4th cog in from the smallest cog, that never shifted quite right; she always had to play with the shifter a bit to make that shift. Different people tried adjusting it but no one was ever able to make it shift cleanly over the entire cassette. Replacing it with an Ultegra 12-27 cleared things right up.

--Marcus

Yes. I've got the same issue. Had been thinking about taking one of the spacers to a belt sander and shaving a fraction off but I've since retired that cassette. 11-28 campy compatible FYI.

Ray
04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Thinking of switching to a 12-32 IRD 10 speed rear cassette from my 12-28 SRAM for my Co-Mo tandem. Anybody use IRD 10 speed cassettes with favorable experiances.
Aside from how cleanly they shift, is there a rear derailure from any of the 10-speed systems that will handle 32 tooth cogs? I'm guessing not - will a 9-speed mtb derailure work across the ten speed cassette - is it adequately matched up with the 10-speed shifters?

-Ray

trophyoftexas
04-01-2009, 10:07 AM

I've been running an 11-28 with otherwise all-DA stuff on a CSi of mine and haven't had a single complaint....in fact, just YESTERDAY, I switched my DA-10 speed Ottrott from a DA 12-27 to an IRD 11-18. I had to replace a chain anyway so I figured it'd be a good time to change out to this more-favored cassette grearing combination. I really like the 11-28 in the hills that I ride both here in Texas and in northern Michigan during my summers up there...28 is great but I've really grown to appreciate the 11 on most of those fairly gentle downhills since I can pretty much pedal all of the time, increasing my speed while maintaining the increased downhill control that I feel instead of just coasting and cooling off a little too much.

SpeedyChix
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Aside from how cleanly they shift, is there a rear derailure from any of the 10-speed systems that will handle 32 tooth cogs? I'm guessing not - will a 9-speed mtb derailure work across the ten speed cassette - is it adequately matched up with the 10-speed shifters?

-Ray

For Iron Cross this past year, I put an XT rear der on my owise 10-spd Shimano set up along with an IRD 10-spd 32 tooth top. No complaints on how it worked.

MarcusPless
04-01-2009, 10:37 AM

-Ray

I used to run a home brew 9 speed 13-32 (Shimano) cassette on my commuter with Campy 10 speed Ergos and long cage derailleur; the shifting was flawless. It started out as a Shimano 12-27 that I took apart, replaced the 12 and 13 with an outer 13, and stuck a cheap mountain bike 32 on the inside so I had a bail out gear. At that time my afternoon commute ended with a 15% climb, and sometimes the bike weight could approach 50 lbs, depending on how much junk I was carrying. That 32 came in handy on those days. :D

--Marcus

palincss
04-01-2009, 11:03 AM

-Ray

I believe cable pull has not changed. Width hasn't changed either.

Smiley
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM

-Ray
Ray , its a tandem with a XT MTB rear derailure, I spoke to the fine folks at Co-Mo and they had issues with the 12-34 and thus did not try the 12-32. So I am inquiring about this set up.

palincss
04-01-2009, 11:07 AM
What "issues" did they have?

Smiley
04-01-2009, 11:09 AM
What "issues" did they have?

clean shifts up top, this could be expected with a 34 given the chain length and the stay length.

djg
04-01-2009, 11:21 AM

-Ray

I've used a campag 10 speed short cage rear derailleur with a 29 with success, although it has taken just a bit of fiddling. I have to believe that a mid cage or long cage rear derailleur would accomodate a larger cog still, although you'd have to find the right (and compatible) cassette or work some sort of fix.

palincss
04-01-2009, 12:33 PM
clean shifts up top, this could be expected with a 34 given the chain length and the stay length.

You mean, this bike has a long chain and long chainstays, and you think that might account for poor shifts on the small sprockets?

I'm not sure that in itself makes much sense, since many MTB cassettes include large low end sprockets and very small high end sprockets. My closest experience is with 12-32 8 speed on a tandem, and 12-27 9 spd on a single. Both those bikes shift just fine on the high end, and on the 12-27 the first 4 are 1-tooth jumps.

Smiley
04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
You mean, this bike has a long chain and long chainstays, and you think that might account for poor shifts on the small sprockets?

I'm not sure that in itself makes much sense, since many MTB cassettes include large low end sprockets and very small high end sprockets. My closest experience is with 12-32 8 speed on a tandem, and 12-27 9 spd on a single. Both those bikes shift just fine on the high end, and on the 12-27 the first 4 are 1-tooth jumps.

nope just the opposite shifts to the 34 tooth rear from the 53 or 39 where the chain is the most tensewith STI shifters since you need to detach yourself from bar ends for this application :)

palincss
04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
nope just the opposite shifts to the 34 tooth rear from the 53 or 39 where the chain is the most tensewith STI shifters since you need to detach yourself from bar ends for this application :)

In other words, the chain was too short? And might one ask, what are you doing in the 53x34? These issues have nothing to do with STI vs bar-ends.

Ray
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
For Iron Cross this past year, I put an XT rear der on my owise 10-spd Shimano set up along with an IRD 10-spd 32 tooth top. No complaints on how it worked.
Good to know. I'll have at least a workable 10-speed alternative for my typical setup if my 9-speed gear ever dies. I hope they don't but I only have two spare sets of 9-speed STI shifters and both are already well used.

-Ray

RPS
04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Smiley, this is going even further away from the original question, but what are you running on your tandem at present?

I’d assume you have a triple (or is it a double), but what size rings since they affect the total capacity? I’m not sure I understand the shifting problem exactly, but Palincss seems to think you implied too little rear derailleur capacity. :confused:

More importantly, I’m curious what wheel spacing versus BBKT length you are running since that “could” also affect shifting somewhat. Are you running 145 MM with standard triple BBKT? On my Co-Motion tandem I’m running the shorter BBKT with double rings so big-to-big is no problem at all, but small-towards-small is best avoided.

As a side, what does Co-Motion recommend for low-range 10-speed cassettes?

Smiley
04-01-2009, 07:56 PM
53/39/30 and spoke to Mel tonight from Tandems East and he claims it can work but he needs 1 hour to set it up just right, not going to work for me and a travel tandem. Maybe I will shift to all friction shifting and that will work, but not with STI on the rear.

RPS
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Smiley, I went back and looked at Co-Motion's WEB page and found most 10-speed tandems were listed with SRAM 11-28s so I'd assume that's what they think works OK. Of course Shimano now makes an 11-28 ten speed for Dura Ace also.

Not what you asked, but since you are trying to get lower gearing have you considered installing a smaller granny inner ring? It's fast, cheap, and easy. I had a 26T on my Cannondale tandem when running 11-28 8-speed cassette. You can probably go as low as 24T but the shifting will get rougher as you decrease from the standard 30T. I'd also go with steel instead of aluminum.

BHL
04-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I;ve had great luck with the IRC 32 with a long-cage d. Combined with a compact, this is perfect for dirt road riding, etc. It's what I use for D2R2 - where, for me, 1:1 gearing is a necessity for getting through the long ride.

Smiley
04-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Smiley, I went back and looked at Co-Motion's WEB page and found most 10-speed tandems were listed with SRAM 11-28s so I'd assume that's what they think works OK. Of course Shimano now makes an 11-28 ten speed for Dura Ace also.

Not what you asked, but since you are trying to get lower gearing have you considered installing a smaller granny inner ring? It's fast, cheap, and easy. I had a 26T on my Cannondale tandem when running 11-28 8-speed cassette. You can probably go as low as 24T but the shifting will get rougher as you decrease from the standard 30T. I'd also go with steel instead of aluminum.

my issue is really the middle ring where I'd prefer the 32 by 39 in the back, we climbed some tough stuff in mallorca with the 28 by 30 .

zap
04-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Bring the tandem over to casa zap.