PDA

View Full Version : Time 'Quickset' headset...***?

dookie
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
so my new edge racer is in the stand and i'm ogling it while i wait for some parts to arrive...

hmm...the fork rotation isn't *silky*. maybe the headset is a bit tight. (loosens headset). nope...now it's got play. well let's just open 'er up, maybe she's a bit dry...

***? i'll tell you ***. bushings. not a round ball in sight! better yet, the crown 'race' is a beveled section of carbon, molded directly into the steerer! what kind of wear surface is that? looks like they spec this 'quickset' business all the way up to the vxrs ulteam (unclear on the rxr).

am i wrong to be shocked and feeling a bit 'had' by this eurotrash girl?

vqdriver
03-31-2009, 06:58 PM
don't fret.
i'm 225 and no ballerina on the bike.

my 2005 vx edge is doing just fine. never, ever had to readjust it after its initial setup and never experienced any play. felt just fine when i had it up on a stand and it feels just fine when i put it up there now.

SoCalSteve
03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
My VXR has the same system and it works perfectly.

Just sayin'

Steve

goonster
03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
the crown 'race' is a beveled section of carbon, molded directly into the steerer! what kind of wear surface is that?

An extremely light one. :rolleyes:

kgreene10
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM
My Edge Racer came with the quickset perfectly adjusted and has been flawless since I got it two months ago. I am soooo happy to be done with my Campy Record HS that constantly belched little bits of lube. It worked fine, but wasn't a no hassle solution like the quickset seems to be.

Just agreein'

dookie
04-01-2009, 07:35 AM
glad to hear it all...

just a real surprise to find bushings. i shall trust...

SBash
04-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Never had a problem on the Time's I have/had...Like said above once adjusted you're done...love the idea.

INFO:
The AVANT SAFE+ fork is all-carbon with a multi-diameter steerer tube, fat at the crown for strength and stiffness and a now-conventional 1 1/8” at the stem end for convenience. It turns in Time's Quickset headset. A threaded aluminium sleeve is bonded to the steerer tube; a threaded collar tightens on this to adjust the steering bearing, and is kept in place by a compressed 'O' ring. The spacers on the steerer tube are purely cosmetic, and have thin 'O'rings on their inside to stop rattling. One advantage of the system, which works very well indeed, is that the steering doesn't have to be adjusted every time the stem is removed for, for example, packing in a bike box. Some Time owners have, however, expressed outrage at the price of replacement head bearings, which are, perhaps inevitably, made specifically for Time.
http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3329

dookie
04-01-2009, 08:57 PM
INFO:
...a threaded collar tightens on this to adjust the steering [bushing]...
...which was the original concern.

dookie
05-04-2009, 03:29 PM
OK, so it's built and the headset is either too loose (play) or too tight (binding). I've wrenched professionally and adjusted many a headset, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that hack mechanics are not at work here.

Anyone know where I can find an exploded diagram? Maybe some of the internals are not oriented properly?

Those of you running them, are they noticeably tighter than a traditional bearing headset?

vqdriver
05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
no, shouldn't be any tighter than a normal headset. in fact, mine actually feels a bit lighter but with no play. take it to a local time dealer. they'll know these headsets better than anyone.

SBash
05-04-2009, 03:49 PM
OK, so it's built and the headset is either too loose (play) or too tight (binding). I've wrenched professionally and adjusted many a headset, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that hack mechanics are not at work here.

Anyone know where I can find an exploded diagram? Maybe some of the internals are not oriented properly?

Those of you running them, are they noticeably tighter than a traditional bearing headset?

I'll take a good guess here...Top bearing cap binding. Did you have any headset shims with this?
LIKE THIS: http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/cane-creek-is-headset-shims-118-x-025mm-bag10.html

dookie
05-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I'll take a good guess here...Top bearing cap binding. Did you have any headset shims with this?
LIKE THIS: http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/cane-creek-is-headset-shims-118-x-025mm-bag10.html

interesting...

nothing like that is present. 'local' dealer (where i bought it) is 4hrs away. i'll call 'em.

wait...there is no bearing cap!

palincss
05-04-2009, 06:20 PM
My Edge Racer came with the quickset perfectly adjusted and has been flawless since I got it two months ago.

Two months isn't exactly a long time compared to the lifespan of headsets.

Does anyone have one of these that's been in service for several years?

dookie
05-04-2009, 06:37 PM
thank you to wes at time usa!

at some point, the crown race seal had been turned upside down. not it! i never had the fork out of the frame...

anyway, here's the scoop (http://middlepath.gotdns.com/bikes/quickset.pdf) on how it should be (page 2 is english).

all is well in timeland. maiden voyage (at least further than around the block and with the FD) tomorrow.

http://middlepath.gotdns.com/bikes/time.jpg

totally_fixxate
05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Anyone know where I can find an exploded diagram?
Maybe some of the internals are not oriented properly?

That stuff use to be on their website, can't find it now.

Ask these guys.

http://twitter.com/TIMESPORTUSA

dookie
05-04-2009, 08:40 PM
or read my previous post...

Spud
05-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I have been through the same series of events. That darn seal. FYI they are actually bearings just in a rubber like case.

Keith A
05-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I have followed this thread with a lot of interest because this is the one thing that has bothered me about my Time VXR...which is how the headset feels. Mine doesn't really bind, but it feels tight and doesn't rotate as freely as compared the CK headsets on my other bikes. If I loosen it up any, then there is some play in the headset. This my first bike with an integrated headset and so I have no experience with other manufactures and didn't know what to expect.

This doesn't have any effect on the handling as long as my hands are on the bike, but when I ride hands free, it takes more effort to get the bike to turn that I'd like and so I have less confidence on the occasions that require riding with no hands.

So how does this compare to your Time machines?

SoCalSteve
05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I have followed this thread with a lot of interest because this is the one thing that has bothered me about my Time VXR...which is how the headset feels. Mine doesn't really bind, but it feels tight and doesn't rotate as freely as compared the CK headsets on my other bikes. If I loosen it up any, then there is some play in the headset. This my first bike with an integrated headset and so I have no experience with other manufactures and didn't know what to expect.

This doesn't have any effect on the handling as long as my hands are on the bike, but when I ride hands free, it takes more effort to get the bike to turn that I'd like and so I have less confidence on the occasions that require riding with no hands.

So how does this compare to your Time machines?

I bought my VXR second hand from a local seller. The headset and fork were already installed and adjusted and I didn't need to anything but build it up. I havent noticed anything like what anyone else has experienced. The headset works fine and feels like all of my other bikes (mostly with Chris King headsets).

Steve

totally_fixxate
05-05-2009, 01:51 AM
or read my previous post...

my bad...

I was scrounging around the net while you were posting that.

sspielman
05-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Two months isn't exactly a long time compared to the lifespan of headsets.

Does anyone have one of these that's been in service for several years?

I'm starting the sixth season for one. The size and mounting of the bearings leads me to believe that it was designed for a direct nuclear hit.....

Kirk Pacenti
05-05-2009, 07:00 AM
FYI: Bushings are the new black.

http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?product=aer

Cheers,

KP