PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 305 Problems

rdparadise
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Guys:

My Garmin 305 has been giving me fits lately. It worked great last Tuesday night. This Sunday, when I took my bike out for another spin, it would turn on and go immediately off. Today I recharged it fully, says charge complete and won't turn on. What gives with these $300 gizmos? Anyone else have these experiences?

My units is about 18 months old.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

trophyoftexas
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
about 2 years ago and I called their 800 number for help. The guy gave me directions to "reboot" that sucker and it worked like a charm. It was something like hold down the mode and reset buttons at the same time for about 3 seconds....or hold the enter and reset buttons, can't remember which but it worked just fine after that. Had it happen again about 6 mos. ago and did the same thing again and it's working just fine....sorry I can't remember the exact combination but try the mode/reset one first and I think that'll cure your ills, if not call the 800 number.

JumpStart
03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
I had a similar problem with my Forerunner and had to reset it. You may want to check this via google or other means, but if you push and hold the "power" and "mode" buttons for a few seconds, it should reset and come back.

dekindy
03-31-2009, 03:48 PM
The Garmin 305 prices on geomangear.com make this unit attractive relative to sophisticated cycle computers.

Has the issue with the unit cutting out on bumps been fixed? I was riding with a buddy that has one and he said his quit working on a ride and said that he must have hit a bump. If it is fixed, how do you know if you are getting a unit that is not susceptible to this problem?

katematt
03-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Simultaneously for a few seconds and she should be fine. I have had contrast screen issues and beggining to see a short battery life but other than that, the one similiar problem I had to you the reboot option worked great.

chuckred
03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
I've had a couple that have failed though, and in each case, Garmin sent me a new one, no questions asked... way past the warranty end date.

fourflys
03-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Simultaneously for a few seconds and she should be fine. I have had contrast screen issues and beggining to see a short battery life but other than that, the one similiar problem I had to you the reboot option worked great.

and hit the poewr button... magically worked for me. BTW- I only have this issue when it goes all the way dead...

GregL
03-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Make sure you have the latest firmware version. It's available for download from the Garmin website. My Edge 305 used to occasionally need a re-boot. Since I upgraded the firmware, it has worked perfectly.

Regards,
Greg

rdparadise
04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the information. I will try these later tonight and let you know how I made out.

Regards,

Bob

rdparadise
04-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Guys:

Downloading the updated software seems to have done the trick. I'll let you know if I have any other questions. Thanks for your help.

Bob