PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosio Tub rims?

BdaGhisallo
12-17-2004, 08:40 AM
I am thinking of getting a new set of wheels built and I am thinking of trying the Ambrosio Crono rims. They are lighter than the ubiquitous reflex and a little different.

Anyone with experience with the quality of these or any ambrosio rims? Is it worth trying them over another set of reflex rims?

I will probably have them built by Joe Young with the dt supercomp triple-butted spokes he raves about.

Thanks

oracle
12-17-2004, 10:40 AM
hey bda-
velocity rims no eyelets

oracle

p.s. , they're great

CalfeeFly
12-17-2004, 11:34 AM
There is some discussion on them under my first wheelset and another on Velocity Rims if you missed it.

CarbonTi
12-17-2004, 11:58 AM
I have built two sets of wheels with Ambrosios - a clincher set with Excellence and a tubular set with Crono F-20's. I've had good luck with Ambrosios, the rims have been consistent and the rim joint is not sloppy. Much prefer virtually any rim over the ubiquitous Mavics - I've had quality issues with most of the Mavic rims made after the age of SSC and GP4's.

As always, the builder is the key element. F-20's build up into a pretty light wheel - always a treat to ride nice tubular wheels. Let some of your Ksyrium clincher riding friends test ride them, it will be a revelation.

dbrk
12-17-2004, 12:11 PM
If you can ride 28h then Renaissance Cycles (in Eindoven, Holland) has a fine stash of Mavic SSc Paris-Roubaix. A finer tubular rim has never been made.
Look here: https://secure.netonline.nl/ssl/renaissance-cycles/default2.asp
or on eBay as banana-brain. This is Baron and Cecile Corpuz, honest and fine folks.

dbrk