PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gap/6 Gap decents?

mnoble485
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I am being talked into riding the Gap ride in September. There is mucho trepedation about the climbs since I have ridden almost exclusively in and around central Florida. I am probably as concerned, however, with the decents. Feedback please on conditions,tactics, dangers etc.

Thanks,
Flatlander Mike

rnhood
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
On fast descents my advice is, if you can't see beyond an upcoming turn, then slow down for it. You're not racing. Swoopy turns are not so much an issue but, switchbacks can be deceiving. If you go down then you're going to get hurt. So ride conservatively, and gradually slow down for upcoming turns (don't jam the brakes on at the last minute). Don't ride on anyone's wheel - keep 50 to 100 yards of distance between you - even your friends. And take the whole lane - especially when your speed is 30mph or greater (don't ride on the right shoulder). Hold your line and don't worry about riders that pass you. Put a good set of tires on your bike and don't run up the pressure so high. You want good grip.

Having said that, a fast descent can be very exhilarating. It makes all that sweat and work going uphill worth it. You just need to exercise some good judgment.

Elefantino
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
My $.02? You'll love the descents.

The second year.

The first year, you'd be wise to grip the brakes and take it easy. Coming down the back side of Unicoi, Woody's and especially Hogpen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1LCS3ERfjA) there are some serious sphincter clinchers with which you should not trifle. You can hit 40 mph without even thinking about it and cooking a turn can mean lights out.

But once you're used to them, they are a wonderful playground where 50+ is a great rush.

KJMUNC
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Like Elefantino said.....take it easy and don't try to be a descending hero. When I lived in Atlanta I'd ride the Gaps 10-15 times a year for training but my first trip ended in the Dahlonega ER getting 15 stitches in my knee after a gnarly wipeout at 40mph on Wolfpen Gap.

There are some incredibly fun and fast descents in the area but there are also a fair number of blind or off-camber switchbacks that can put you in trouble in a hurry. Not saying you have to burn up a pair of brake pads and descend like a sissy, but just enjoy the scenery and leave the crazy descending to the guys who either know the roads or are crazy enough to try it. I promise you'll still have enough fun descending at a reasonable pace to have a great day.

LegendRider
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM
In my opinion, the only truly dangerous descent is Hogpen. You can certainly overcook any corner (Wolfpen in particular), but Hogpen presents issues. Because it's so steep and fast, you're most likely going to want to brake to scrub some speed. With tubulars you risk melting the glue and with clinchers you risk popping a tube from a scorching hot rim. If you're fearless, you can bomb down the climb at 60mph, but most normal folks will need to balance speed and braking.

40x14
03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
i LOVE descending fast. I've done appgap and others. Ride the speed you're comfortable with. Here are a few technical tips

Make sure your wheels are true, especially the front.
If riding tubulars, make sure they're glued on good and linear. Again special attention to the front wheel.
Make sure your brakes make even contact with the wheels, and that the brakes do not touch the tires at any point.
It's safer to descend confidently than timidly. If you can get a faster guy or gal in front of ya that can inspire a bit of confidence.
Especially when it's not a closed course (i.e., traffic on the road), beware crossing the yellow line and also cutting too close on the inside since that is where debris and loose road lives.
Some cars coming uphill may take the corners on a very bad line and cut you off - you don't want to hit one head on.
If a car in front of you is going slower than you want to go, pass it. They have better brakes than you and it's better to be in front of one.
Wear glasses or be prepared to cry a lot.
Alternate between using the front brake for a few seconds, then the rear brake.
If you need to slow suddenly, lean all the back on your bike so your butt is over the rear wheel. Use both brakes and don't endo.
To go really fast pedal hard then get aero. Knees touching the top tube is more aero than jutting out.
Always look as far down the road as possible and you'll be fine.
Nothing wrong with stopping part of the way down a descent to admire the views.
When you're turning the lower you are on the bike the lower your center of gravity.
Use wind resistance to moderate your speed a little instead of brakes. At 40+mph sitting up makes a huge difference.

Sounds like fun!

edit: If you see an obstacle it's usually better to figure out a way to get around it than to try and slow down. It takes a while to scrub speed on a bike, and two wheeled vehicles steer better when they're not braking at the same time. If need slow down drastically (like from 50 to zero), most likely you'll be going in a straight line.

Elefantino
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
In my opinion, the only truly dangerous descent is Hogpen. You can certainly overcook any corner (Wolfpen in particular), but Hogpen presents issues. Because it's so steep and fast, you're most likely going to want to brake to scrub some speed. With tubulars you risk melting the glue and with clinchers you risk popping a tube from a scorching hot rim. If you're fearless, you can bomb down the climb at 60mph, but most normal folks will need to balance speed and braking.
The poor woman from Miami had her fatal crash on the Hog last year, with still some question as to whether she cooked a rim, broke a brake cable or what.

It's humbling to hear something like that.

And yet we return.

mvanhorn
04-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I've ridden some of the gaps before. The descents are definitely worth the effort getting up to the top! But they can get a little hairy. Unfortunately, as someone already pointed out, a woman died on the way down Hogpen last year. And the year before, on the way down Brasstown, someone plowed into the rocks and died a few weeks later. Guess it pays to have good brakes and good sense too.

If you look around on the web (YouTube maybe?) a few people have filmed their descents down Unicoi (and couple others I think). I'll post the links if I can find them again.

I've rented a cabin near Brasstown the last few years during the Tour de Georgia. The owner, who also has a house part of the way up Hogpen on the north side, told me that he has been passed a couple times by cyclists while coming down Hogpen on his motorcycle. He said he was doing 45 mph both times. Sounds like fun!

Mark