PDA

View Full Version : MTB Groups, SRAM v. Shimano

Steelhead
03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Good Morning - For those that have ridden both, what is your preference? SRAM, Shimano or a mix of the two. I'm thinking nothing lower than X-9/XT level.

:)

chuckred
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Good Morning - For those that have ridden both, what is your preference? SRAM, Shimano or a mix of the two. I'm thinking nothing lower than X-9/XT level.

:)

XT level Shimano is pretty darn flawless... can't see any reason to change, although SRAM is probably just as good. I've ended up with SRAM casettes and chains and they're certainly fine...

On the other hand, I'm kind of slow, so maybe I should change to SRAM and then maybe I'd be faster?

gdw
03-31-2009, 11:33 AM
The top end groups from the two companies are excellent and you'll be happy with whichever one you choose. I mix the two because I prefer Sram's older twist shifters paired with XT front and XTR rear derailleurs. The mix is lighter than either companies current offerings, allows you to trim your front derailleur, shift multiple gears with a flick of you wrist, and the shifters can be taken apart and easily serviced.

Indie rider
03-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Having used several versions of Shimano XT over the last 15 years and SRAM X-9 over the last 4 or 5, I think the SRAM drivetrain is far superior to the Shimano when you ride in a lot of east coast mud and muck.

It seems like I was always fiddling and adjusting to keep the Shimano stuff shifting smoothly. As I understand it, there is more room for play in the SRAM system (the 1:1 vs 1:2 actuation ratio), so that as things get full of mud, dirt and leaves, it continues to shuft smoothly whereas the Shimano will begin to misshift and skip as the drivetrain gets mucky. However, the "play" is not noticeable as a lack of shifting performance or lag. I have used the X-9 in some really muddy conditions, including some very wet 50-mile mtn bike races and several very soggy 24 hour races, and it shifted flawlessly from begiining to end.

If I was riding in a lot drier conditions (Moab maybe?), either would probably suffice.

That said, I know people who like their XT and XTR setups fine. But I would never go back.

tomwd3
03-31-2009, 12:03 PM
XT level Shimano is pretty darn flawless... can't see any reason to change, although SRAM is probably just as good. I've ended up with SRAM casettes and chains and they're certainly fine...

On the other hand, I'm kind of slow, so maybe I should change to SRAM and then maybe I'd be faster?

+1 on the XT
XT is the benchmark for bang for BUCK.
Practically XTR performance @ 1/2 the price.
My experience w/SRAM chains has been OK.
Don't like their cassettes.
I still think that the ALL Shimano drivetrain is the way to go.
Tom

PaMtbRider
03-31-2009, 12:44 PM
my vote is SRAM. I currently have last generation xtr and new sram x.0 The sram shifts seem more positive, sort of like comparing campy to shimano road components. I agree with indie rider that sram seems more forgiving to east coast mud riding conditions.

Volant
03-31-2009, 01:03 PM
XT cassettes last forever compared to XTR. I had problems with first-gen X9 cassettes, but, SRAM customer service said they fixed the problems. I haven't gone back to them as XT is still running great (and I purchased back-ups that are still NIB).
Shifting is going to be up to your preference. SRAM seems crisper, but, both work fine. If you like having shift-levers and your brake levers as one unit, go Shimano. If you're looking to save weight and be able to go from one end of the cassette to the other in one twist, go SRAM twist shifters.
I've got Rocket twist with XTR derailleurs on my go-to bike and I love that combo. I also run full SRAM X.0 (sans cassette) on my FS, and no problems there either. My rigid runs full XTR (XT cassette), love that as well. I'll usually miss the first shift when I switch bikes as my brain forgets which system I'm on, but that's a non-issue.
Go ride a few and decide which works best for you (sorry, that's not much help).

Kirk Pacenti
03-31-2009, 01:11 PM
I have been on Sram MTB stuff for ever and generally really like it, especially the grip shifters.

However, for my last couple MTB builds I've been running the new XT. The stuff is really, really good, flawless actually. You can't go wrong with either imo.

Cheers,

KP

avalonracing
03-31-2009, 02:10 PM
I've run XT 15+ years. Wow...
Anyway in that time I've burned through some cassettes and chains but it has been normal wear and tear. The mid-Atlantic can be pretty tough on stuff compared to some dryer places.

XT has always been a lot of bang for the buck and if you aren't racing very seriously it is a much better value than XTR.

I do run Sram chains with it when it is time to replace just because I like the Sram chain link for easy take off when cleaning.

Kirk Pacenti
03-31-2009, 02:16 PM
I do run Sram chains with it when it is time to replace just because I like the Sram chain link for easy take off when cleaning.

+100

Volant
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
The SRAM link works with Shimano chains too. I use both chains, but with the SRAM link on both. :beer:

vqdriver
03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
i like the trigger shifting.

shorelocal
04-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Here's another vote for SRAM. Running a mixture of X9 and X0 on my XC & FR rigs and very pleased. Really like the trigger shifts and I'll be trying grip shift next.

bnewt07
04-03-2009, 02:02 AM
SRAM X-9 is the only MTB stuff I have had break on the trail. Twice. Lost any confidence I might have in the brand. When it worked it was nice but not special.

XTR is always lovely but the rings wear superfast (not tried the newest ones).

XT for me now every time. Tough, sweet to use and good value/spec compromise.

I do still stick to SRAM chains mind you but only for the link connector.

Bruce