PDA

View Full Version : Head tube "S" badge

K5Cruiser
03-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Besides the "S" decal that I see on the head tube of the Serotta frames, was there any other kind of "S" badge used? In some pics I see, it almost seems like the area on the head tube where the "S" goes is raised up and has an oval shaped foundation to it. Any info on this would be appreciated by this Serotta newbie. Thanks!

Pete Serotta
03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
All the badges I recall were adhesive backed. Nothing was done to the head tube in regard to just cleaning.

cp43
03-29-2009, 08:46 PM
My frame just an "S" decal on the head tube, I think others have a metal headbadge. So the raised part of the head tube that you are seeing is the badge that was stuck on, compared to the decal which doesn't stick up at all.

Chris

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2009, 09:28 PM
. . . there's a metal adhesive backed badge. Mine has gotten a bit scratched up over the years and I was told you can buy a new one from the factory. Not sure how much it is, though.

BBD

rockdude
03-29-2009, 09:53 PM
. . . there's a metal adhesive backed badge. Mine has gotten a bit scratched up over the years and I was told you can buy a new one from the factory. Not sure how much it is, though.

BBD

Here is a link to the page with the head badge. They are $75 big ones...

http://www.serotta.com/paint/pricing.html

K5Cruiser
03-29-2009, 10:03 PM
. . . there's a metal adhesive backed badge.
That's what I believe I'm seeing. So it sounds like it's an option then if you want the metal adhesive backed badge, or the decal. I was thinking it was relegated to specific year frames, but it sounds like that's not the case. Thanks for the help!

victoryfactory
03-30-2009, 07:04 AM
When I had my Legend made in '03 there was a choice between head badge
or decal.
I was surprised at the sharp edges on the badge, it seemed cheap and un-
finished, and not seated on the head tube.
It would catch the threads of a cleaning cloth, I thought.

I went with the decal, as did many others at that time. I had hoped that
Serotta would redesign the badge at some point.

Have they? or are they still using that sharp edged thing? I think there must
be a way to make a stick-on head badge with smooth, rolled edges that sits
right on the head tube and represents the marque properly, no?
Especially for 75 bucks!

VF

rwsaunders
03-30-2009, 08:20 AM
I'll have to check those edges when I get home. For $75, I might have to go the decal route. That a set of tires.

jlwdm
03-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I bought my Serotta in 2007 and thought the head badge was the clear choice. It looks great and there aren't any sharp edges.

Jeff

Kines
03-30-2009, 10:50 AM
In 02 or 03 I was told that the Legend came with a Ti badge and my Concours would come with a decal unless I paid $50, which I did. I've always thought it looked nice, and never really paid attention to how sharp the edges are, but now I'm going to look when I get home!

BBD - how on earth did you get a head badge all scratched up?!? I'm pretty sure that in 6-7 years of regular use, wind is the only thing that has come in contact with mine!

KN

jpw
03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
At $75 it's worth a little extra moola to get a bespoke badge made. There are several people doing that sort of thing, and their wares look quite good.

Kines
04-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I tested how sharp the edge was, and was able to cut a tomato, but just barely. Definitely somewhere between ginsu and butter knife.

Kidding of course.

But I did take a photo. This beauty was delivered 5/09/03

KN

Pete Serotta
04-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I tested how sharp the edge was, and was able to cut a tomato, but just barely. Definitely somewhere between ginsu and butter knife.

Kidding of course.

But I did take a photo. This beauty was delivered 5/09/03

KN

Where do you live in NC? PETE

Kines
04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Where do you live in NC? PETE

A perfect distance from Pilot, Sauratown, and Hanging Rock.... Winston-Salem.

You're in Raleigh, right?

KN

Pete Serotta
04-01-2009, 02:06 PM
A perfect distance from Pilot, Sauratown, and Hanging Rock.... Winston-Salem.

You're in Raleigh, right?

KN

Yeah, north Raleigh out by the lake toward Wake Forest.