PDA

View Full Version : Ultegro Groupo lifespan and SRAM Compatability

dekindy
03-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I have two issues that I want information on.

I have only recently began riding thousands of miles per year and wonder what the lifespan is of Shimano 10-speed Ultegra brifters and derailleurs? Can I just replace rings on the crankset? Should brakes ever be replaced?

What component is likely to fail first?

If I want to convert to SRAM Rival, what can I keep (if I want to) of my current Groupo? Brakes and crank? How much would a 2007 Shimano 10-speed triple be worth if I wanted to replace everything? The brifters, derailleurs, and cranks show that the group has been well used but maintained by professional mechanics.

When would it be the most economical to convert to SRAM Rival assuming I want to wait until my Shimano needs replacing? I guess what I am asking is if a brifter of derailleur fails can it be repaired or have to be replaced? Does a component failure mean another component will fail soon also and there is a point at which it makes more sense to get a new groupo instead of replacing components as the fail.

I have 2006 Shimano Ultegra triple groupo with approximately 10,000 miles and ride 4,000+ miles per year and wonder if I will need to spend money or make any decisions soon?

vqdriver
03-29-2009, 01:15 PM
i've never actually worn out anything other than chains / cassettes but i do know that my 8sp shimano brifters worked well with just lube up until the day i sold em, after 13 yrs later.
btw, the consensus is that campy may be repairable, but don't even think of opening up shimano shifters unless you like watchmaking.

to move to sram, i think the only things that must be switched together are the shifters and rear derailleur.

false_Aest
03-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Until a month ago I was using 9 speed stuff from 1999. Only things I replaced were the chain and cassette. Probably could've replaced the inner chainring but I was lazy.

The STIs got a little sloppy but that's it.

Marcusaurelius
03-29-2009, 01:54 PM
I've had several shimano sti shifters fail after several years of hard use (8 speed dura ace and 9 speed ultegra). Parts wear out no matter what they are and they will wear out faster with heavy use and if you ride torrential rain storms for several months.

Dura ace is race quality and is more durable than ultegra especially the sti shifters. Dura ace also comes with a longer warranty and is made for professional raving which means a lot more miles than recreation.

I've never had any issues with the other parts.

Chainrings on the crank are easy to replace and shimano replacement rings are available everywhere.

dogdriver
03-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Its all how you ride. I'll bet there are guys who could destroy Ultegra in a season or less, guys for whom it would last 20 years. Overall, Ultegra is bulletproof-- probably more durable than Dura Ace. Stay on top of chain wear, replace rings, cassettes and BB when neccessary, try to avoid too many late, high torque shifts and you ought to be fine. I personally wouldn't pre-emptively replace any of the expensive stuff-- it will tell you when its worn out and there's nothing that will fail catastrophically.

A bike guru told me years ago to completely disassemble and reassemble my bikes each year or two-- it prevents "welded" BB and other threaded bits and forces a good close look at the components (also a good time to replace cables).

In short, some preventative replacement is probably appropriate in the DT parts, but for the rest of it, FLY TO FAIL!

My $.02, Chris

palincss
03-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I have two issues that I want information on.

I have only recently began riding thousands of miles per year and wonder what the lifespan is of Shimano 10-speed Ultegra brifters and derailleurs? Can I just replace rings on the crankset? Should brakes ever be replaced?

The lifespan can be a long, long time. There's no real way to know, but easily tens of thousands of miles. You certainly can replace rings. You have either 130mm or 110mm bolt circle diameter (full-size or compact), and many vendors make rings in those sizes. Brakes should be replaced if they fail. They could easily outlast you.

What component is likely to fail first?

Brake shoes, chain, cables, cassette and handlebar tape are the most likely to fail first. (Yes, these are the "wear items".)

If I want to convert to SRAM Rival, what can I keep (if I want to) of my current Groupo? Brakes and crank? How much would a 2007 Shimano 10-speed triple be worth if I wanted to replace everything? The brifters, derailleurs, and cranks show that the group has been well used but maintained by professional mechanics.

When would it be the most economical to convert to SRAM Rival assuming I want to wait until my Shimano needs replacing?

By the time your current stuff needs replacing, there might not be such a group as SRAM Rival. Note: boredom and component lust don't qualify as need.

I guess what I am asking is if a brifter of derailleur fails can it be repaired or have to be replaced? Does a component failure mean another component will fail soon also and there is a point at which it makes more sense to get a new groupo instead of replacing components as the fail.

You are getting ahead of yourself. It all depends on what fails and how. If your derailleur "fails" because you misadjusted it and shifted it into your back wheel and it got twisted like a pretzel, that doesn't predict the failure of any other component except your back wheel. Derailleurs very seldom fail anyway.

Brifters fail -- from what I hear (I'm a bar-end shifter user, so this is all second-hand) the most common Shimano STI failure is stickiness inside the mechanism, and it's often cured by spraying the inside of the lever with a can of WD-40. Campagnolo sells repair parts for their Ergo units, but I believe Shimano does not. They're shockingly expensive to replace, too.

I have 2006 Shimano Ultegra triple groupo with approximately 10,000 miles and ride 4,000+ miles per year and wonder if I will need to spend money or make any decisions soon?

When was the last time you replaced any of the wear items? It could be you might need to replace something right now. Or not - depending on how you've cared for them. But unless something is grossly misbehaving right now, the best thing you can do is stop worrying about it, and go ride your bike.

dekindy
03-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks. Everything works flawlessley now and I have my LBS do maintenance regularly and I keep the drivetrain cleaned and well lubed. So I will keep riding the Ultegra.

Bob Ross
03-30-2009, 09:09 AM
My wife wore out a front derailleur

...but it was a bottom-of-the-line Shimano on a 13-year-old bike that she steadfastly refuses to clean.

If it was an Ultegra I would expect her to get at least twice that lifespan. Methinks OP is safe.

dekindy
03-30-2009, 03:49 PM
I have two sets of Ultegra pedals that have the plastic plate, not metal like the newest version. What is the life of those pedals? I sold my backup bike so I don't need an extra set of pedals unless they wear out. I might want to try a different pedal anyway even if they do wear out.

deechee
03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
the plastic plate is replaceable. 1$ each? I've had my pedals more than 5 years and zero problems.

Ray
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
To echo what others have said, SORRY, but you'll probably have your Ultegra stuff to kick around for a looooong time. If you keep on top of maintenance, it should all last a very long time. The shifters might be the first thing to go, but I've got 12-13 year old Shimano brifters that I shoot a bit of lube into every season or so and they're still going very strong. And when they eventually do wear out, I won't assume that any of the other parts are ready to go as a result.

If you want to buy SRAM because it just floats your boat, you can find all sorts of reasons, but its not likely to be because your Shimano stuff died.

-Ray