PDA

View Full Version : 11 speed gearing question

356a
03-29-2009, 01:27 AM
given the new 11 speed campy gear, for a quite fit but big (200lbs) clydesdale who rides but not dedicated in the Bay area, with hills -

53/39 with 12-27

or

50/34 with 11-25, 12-25 or 12-27

Not a smooth pedaler. Like to be able to preserve the knees.

And debating between record or chorus. Or mixing.

thanks,

David

soulspinner
03-29-2009, 04:58 AM
Google gear inches and compare the set ups. I would never need more than 34- with a 25 in back. And 50/11 is enough for most cyclists that do not race. I would also go Chorus in back-rear der, chain, cassette. Chain and cassettes are interval replacement stuff. The rear d cage is alloy but you only give up 13 grams or so...

Dave
03-29-2009, 09:21 AM
What other people want or need to get up hills is worthless information.

FWIW, a 50/11 is just slightly higher than a 53/12. On the low side, a 34/23 is almost as low as a 39/27 and a 34/25 is almost as low a 39/29.

I like the 50/11 top gear for my descents, but they just happen to be of the grade and technical nature where I can use the 50/11 effectively. I don't find a 50/12 adequate.

As for the components, most choices are budget related. When you move up from Chorus to Record, you don't get much for the money. The same can be said for the move up to SR. I use Chorus cassettes because they are a lot cheaper and I use the three largest cogs a lot. Record Ti cogs would last about half as long in addition to costing a lot more.

There is no difference at all between Record/Chorus shifters - just the lettering on the brake lever. I got Record, because I found them for $240, when exchange rates were really low. I wanted black brakes, so I got Record. The Record crank has ceramic hybrid bearings and weighs 40 grams less, but I didn't think it worth the extra money for a 135lb rider, so I bought Chorus.

bigbill
03-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I have Chorus 11 shifters, RD, FD, cassette, and chain. I have a Record 11 crankset. I am a clyde and I live in the PNW so I have to climb on each ride from my house. I went with 39/53 and 12-27 and really like the combo. When I had ten speed, I used a 13-26 and standard crankset. I don't use the 27 very often but it's good to have it.

FWIW, I got the Record crankset for sentimental reasons. I made the change to campy ten years ago when I bought my MXL frame. I bought a chorus group and a record crankset. IMO, the alloy record crankset was nicer looking than chorus. It doesn't make any sense other than that.

RPS
03-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Like to be able to preserve the knees.David, what are you running now? And are you having problems with your knees due to too high a low gear?

What Dave said above is on the mark -- what others want or works for them shouldn't be much of a factor in your decision. I'd start from what you have today and evaluate which part of it works well and which doesn't, and adjust from there. Is your present gearing low enough, high enough, etc...?

soulspinner
03-30-2009, 06:08 AM
The guys are correct in saying we need more info. Ther isnt a need for I in any part of our reply.

pdmtong
03-30-2009, 05:01 PM
I think in the bay area there is more use for lower gears (plenty of 6-15% climbs up prettymuch all the ridges both sides of the bay) and less use for higher gears (very very few places you can wind up a 50-12, 50-11 for any stretch of road, unlike colorado where it seems you can go downhill for miles in places). If you've been out for a few hours or past 50miles, the bail out is nice. it's one thing to have them and not use them. it's another thing to want/need them and not have them. FWIW I live on the pennisula. where are you located?