PDA

View Full Version : Campy Neutron Ultra + Campy 10-speed cassette = ?

merlinmurph
03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I had my 11-year-old Merlin upgraded to Chorus 10-speed and picked it up at the shop today. My new Neutron Ultras showed up today also - cool.

So, I'm putting a new cassette onto on the new wheel. Problem is that the cassette lockring (right word??) doesn't fit into the cassette body - the lockring is too small, so it won't thread into the body. ***?

I admit that I'm a bit out of touch with compatibilities, etc., but this seemed like a no-brainer. What am I missing?

As an aside, the new Ultra-Torque BB system is very cool. It looks cool anyway. Don't know if these 55-year-old legs will notice any difference, but it is a cool crank.

I'm fairly new here, have been lurking for awhile, and appreciate all the knowledge flowing here.

Thanks,
Murph

saab2000
03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
There are, as I found out the hard way, at least two different sizes for these lockrings.

Your LBS which has some knowledge of Campagnolo will be able to help out and may even have something. Otherwise it's a pretty easy order.

I use Nucleons (Neutron predecessor) with 10-speed cassettes and they are great wheels.

djg
03-28-2009, 05:43 PM
11T lockring on a 12T or 13T cassette?

merlinmurph
03-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Ah, thanks guys. I think I see the issue now.

After looking around, yes, there are two different size lock rings for 11T vs 12/13T, but that's not the issue here because the thread diameter is the same.

My old hubs are, well, old (1997), and it looks like there's a 2000+ size of lockring, also, that has a larger thread diameter than the older one. The current thread OD is 27mm. My LBS must have used the old lockring with the new cassette.

Thanks again,
Murph