PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex-clincher compared to tubular

jeffb
03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Is the durability and proneness to flats similar between the Veloflex clincher and tubular? I have ridden Veloflex Criterium tubulars (and before that, built- in-Italy Vittoria Corsa Cx tubulars) for a number of years. Real good durability and very few flats for me. I am getting some new clincher wheels and am choosing tires. My reseach sugggests that Veloflex clinchers (Blacks or Paves), while great riding tires, are not durable and flat easily. I am sure that has been some peoples' experience. But if the clinchers hold up similar to the tubulars, I am pretty confident they will work fine for me. Anyone with experience with both? Thanks, Jeff

harryschwartzma
03-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Veloflex clinchers, in my experience are
a)hard to get on Campagnolo rims
b)prone to getting cut, but I've been told I pump 'em up too hard.

But they ride great

saab2000
03-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Contrary to many folks, my experiences on Veloflex clinchers has been positive. I like them and find them to be not too far off the tubulars. That said, I think I could make them even better by using latex tubes with them.

My Veloflex experience has been good, with both clincher and tubular.

93legendti
03-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Contrary to many folks, my experiences on Veloflex clinchers has been positive. I like them and find them to be not too far off the tubulars. That said, I think I could make them even better by using latex tubes with them.

My Veloflex experience has been good...
Same here.

cdimattio
03-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Veloflex clinchers with latex tubes are an exceptional combination, as has already been mentioned. For me the Veloflex is the tire of choice for a front wheel, but it has not proven to be very durable for the rear. As crazy as it seems, I have had better luck with Veloflex tubular durability (as compared to Veloflex clincher) in the rear.

Personal preference thing, but top of my clincher list.

The difference between clinchers and tubulars is certainly narrowing. In addition to having a bit more of a lively feeling, I believe the tubulars feel most noticeably superior with higher speed cornering.

GBD
03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Have Veloflex Carbon on Tub and Black on clinchers.
Rear would last about 1,700 miles, front, over 6,000.
Both ride very nice, the Carbon is a little smoother.
Both are durable and light.
At 195 lb, I ride them soft, @ 105 psi.

Pete Serotta
03-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Veloflex clinchers are one of the nicest tires I have ridden. They can be hard to initially get on certain rims, but they will stretch a little, so if you have to take them off for a flat it is somewhat easier (but not as easy as say a Michelin)

Victoria Corsa CX is my all time favorite. Veloflex being a close second. I have never used latex tubes, so I can not offer an opinion there.

As to tubulars, a good tubular is bliss while riding. Unfortunately there is a cost of $80 plus for the good ones and if they flat, you need to find someone to fix, if you are like me and do not sew.

jeffb
03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the input. Speaking of the Vittoria Open Corsa CX, does anyone have any time on the new tire with 320 tpi?