PDA

View Full Version : race bikes i dropped today

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 11:18 AM
along with supposed racers, i guess.

1 pinarello something or another, very new, carbon. sorry rider.

1 bh (fsa?) something or another, carbon. pretty bike. sorry rider.

about 20 trek 5200's. all sorry riders.

1 cervelo soloist, ugly as hell. nice guy so i won't say he was a sorry rider. :)

my chain was all squeaky, not enough lube on it and at about four miles from the store ( rest/halfway point) old big and dumb and ugly starts talking crap. "we should all pitch in and buy him some three in one oil." i knew he was talking about my bike and i start to apologize, telling them the story about how myself and my bike got drenched and i guess i didn't lube it well enough. guy on bh has been talking all this crap about his rides to others, not myself, acting big as if his experience is all anyone cares to hear of and then he says to me "they're just giving you crap" which was coOl as he was obviously trying to be nice to which i reply " i don't give a *****" as i now was getting perturbed with the idiocy of supposed superiority of people with high end bikes who can't ride, who posses big mouths.

and then ole big ugly says "this is where i usually drop...", referring to getting on it and getting to the store first. and that's it, i'm tired of his gay voice and i'm gone, leading them all with the bh and the soloist and a few other racers on my tail, dropping the thirty or so others in our group. they pass after a few minutes but i regain composure and hang with them at around 30 mph to the store, maybe two miles.

i wait for them all to leave and hang back with a few of the local and coOl riders who are strong and we then take off, about two minutes after the 'racer' crowd does.

and then we have some fun. we're cruising pretty goOd from the store and one guy, Mark, starts to roll a bit faster. 22, 23, 24 ,25 and before we know it we're at 26 and my blood starts pumping and before i know it and without thinking i holler "thirty", meaning come on you pansies, let's do this already.

i drop them instantly as well, reaching 34 for a few minutes and then i down shift into my 39 and i think "dam, why haven't i tried this before?" and keep it there for some ten miles or so. i slow as i couldn't maintain and i needed their help but we kept at a good 25-26 mph for the most part back.

goOd ride although the wind was harsh and it was cold, long john under the apparell as well as a beanie under the helmet.

i don't think we passed 20 mph in the first half of the ride as it was all cold headwind but it was still a great ride.

distance 41.24. time 2.18.27. average 17.9.

anyone else ride today?

fourflys
03-28-2009, 11:22 AM
shouldn't this be across the hall at BF? :D
just sayin'...

R2D2
03-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Storms here.
Inside doing maintenance.

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 11:25 AM
no. i don't like airheads and have i zero respect for their moderators, none whatsoever.

gary sol, tom whatever and denialator can all kiss my ass.

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 11:39 AM
besides, this is a 'competition cycling' forum, isn't it? i have every intention of winning, and i will, count on it.

and i like pete. granted i gave him a bit of hell via an email or three so as i could get back on here but he is nothing like those numnuts who know nothing of cycling and somehow became moderators of a supposed cycling forum. do they build bikes? do they spend day in, day out thinking about cycling? no, they think of who they think they can control.

and i like it here, i have a new found respect for cycling since discovering this site and serotta. who knows? it more than likely will be me taking a serotta to first place seeing as how i don't recall anyone else attempting doing it.

it's just like that.

this site, with it's thousands of less registered users compared to bf, retains a homely and welcome feel, not like bike forums.net where you have to abide by lesser humans rules or else.

i belong here, talking cycling enthusiastically with you all. i like it here.

my words are misconstrued elsewhere because they don't understand passion.

i hope i am on the right track with you all. :cool:

Thor
03-28-2009, 12:01 PM

i hope i am on the right track with you all. :cool:

Passion. It's the only word above that matters. Some people don't get it. They don't have any, lost it or never got it. You got it. Don't let anyone or anything change that. Bend in the breeze they say, but sometimes you need to be a mighty Oak and never waiver. You be you.

While it helps if you are a Frame Builder or a FOFB (Friend or Family of Frame Builder) on the Forum/Internet World, enjoy yourself while you're still in the pink*. The internet is a slice of life, there is jealousy at every corner. I dig your thrust...you don't need an $8K bike to be a great cyclist and I too enjoy riding past fast bikes laden with slow riders.

Keep it up and give em' hell. For Johnny Law*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWlg36jV48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLhFVc6u1_E&feature=PlayList&p=A60DB0B06FB4AE4D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

:beer:

garysol1
03-28-2009, 12:02 PM
not like bike forums.net where you have to abide by lesser humans rules or else.

Awwwww.....I love being called a lesser human by a troll:) .

Thor
03-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Awwwww.....I love being called a lesser human by a troll:) .

Everyone is a troll or a hybrid. Some are better looking than others. :) And you can troll if you are a FOFB.

paulrad9
03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
It's early and I haven't had my coffee yet so my math may be off, but if you averaged 25 on the return and 18 for the entire ride, does that mean you averaged 11mph on the way out? If so, that was a serious headwind!

csm
03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
was a little league baseball day for me. gonna try to get out and ride tomorrow. hoping to run into some sorry riders on high-end bikes so that I don't feel bad about riding slow.
where does the hostility come from towards people who enjoy nice things?

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 12:29 PM
It's early and I haven't had my coffee yet so my math may be off, but if you averaged 25 on the return and 18 for the entire ride, does that mean you averaged 11mph on the way out? If so, that was a serious headwind!

i didn't average 25, we were riding at those numbers. read it again.

johnnymossville
03-28-2009, 12:29 PM
passing guys out there on the road is one of the simple pleasures in life. Have fun out there.

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Everyone is a troll or a hybrid. Some are better looking than others. :) And you can troll if you are a FOFB.

no, not everyone is a troll. ole twit gary just proved my point precisely.

i didn't go there, she came here.

Chris
03-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Welcome back Viper.

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Welcome back Viper.

twit. :)

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 12:35 PM
well you ladies have fun discussing absolutely nothing while i go and take a nap and then ride another forty miles.

goOdnight.

csm
03-28-2009, 12:36 PM
does Lance know about you? Maybe you could fill in for him in the Giro.

Thor
03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Welcome back Viper.

You wouldn't know Viper if he handed you a peanut butter and jelly sammich. But thanks for the snide troll-post there Chris. Leave Johnny Law be. Don't start nuttin' and there won't be nuttin'. Off for 25 miles me-self.

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 12:43 PM
does Lance know about you? Maybe you could fill in for him in the Giro.

lance who? :)

goonster
03-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Is that what they call it now? :confused:

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 12:44 PM
You wouldn't know Viper if he handed you a peanut butter and jelly sammich. But thanks for the snide troll-post there Chris. Leave Johnny Law be. Don't start nuttin' and there won't be nuttin'. Off for 25 miles me-self.

by all means, please do.

Thor
03-28-2009, 12:49 PM
by all means, please do.

Welcome back. :beer:

I got a friend named Whiskey Sam
He was my boonierat buddy for a year in Nam
He said is my country just a little off track
Took 'em twenty-five years to welcome me back
But, it's better than not coming back at all
Many a good man
I saw fall And even now,
every time I dream I hear the men
and the monkeys in the jungle scream

Drive on, don't mean nothin'
My children love me , but they don't understand
And I got a woman who knows her man
Drive on, don't mean nothin', drive on

I remember one night,
Tex and me Rappelled in on a hot L.Z.
We had our 16's on rock and roll
But, with all that fire,
was scared and cold
We were crazy, we were wild
And I have seen the tiger smile
I spit in a bamboo viper's face
And I'd be dead , but by God's grace

My children love me, but they don't understand

It was a real slow walk in a real sad rain
And nobody tried to be John Wayne
I came home, but Tex did not
And I can't talk about the hit he got
I got a little limp now when
I walk Got a little tremolo when
I talk But my letter read from Whiskey Sam
You're a walkin' talkin' miracle from Vietnam

My children love me, but they don't understand

garysol1
03-28-2009, 12:50 PM
no, not everyone is a troll. ole twit gary just proved my point precisely.

i didn't go there, she came here.

Talking to yourself again?? ;)

rcnute
03-28-2009, 01:12 PM
The question is, is your bike aggressively stable? :banana:

mistermo
03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
My racing days are over, but I remember the same feeling from long ago. I didn't have the funds for a fancy bike, so I'd show up with my steel beater and take delight in proving that the bike didn't make the rider. Anyone who had a fancy bike, had a target on their back.

Today, I'm older and mellower, have a nicer bike and am the guy who gets humbled by the younger riders with "lesser" bikes. That's ok too. I have different priorities in life and am happy just to get out and ride when I can. I genuinely hope you're still on this board in twenty years with your fancy bike relating to this. That's passion. Granted, I don't talk smack now, and didn't back then when I was a superior rider. Keep it humble and don't begrudge those who like their fancy bikes. Don't confuse arrogance for passion.

leading them all with the bh

BTW, what is a "bh"?

Ray
03-28-2009, 01:29 PM
1 pinarello something or another, very new, carbon. sorry rider.

1 bh (fsa?) something or another, carbon. pretty bike. sorry rider.

about 20 trek 5200's. all sorry riders.

1 cervelo soloist, ugly as hell. nice guy so i won't say he was a sorry rider. :)

Definition of sorry rider - someone slower than you?

Deep.

-Ray

Ti Designs
03-28-2009, 01:36 PM
and then we have some fun. we're cruising pretty goOd from the store and one guy, Mark, starts to roll a bit faster. 22, 23, 24 ,25 and before we know it we're at 26 and my blood starts pumping and before i know it and without thinking i holler "thirty", meaning come on you pansies, let's do this already.

Last I checked, it's still March. While I probably have well over 2000 miles in this year, I'm still doing base mileage on my fixed gear. There's this book called Base Building for Cyclists, the first few chapters are really worth reading... Anyway, if you blew past me today you could add me to that list of dropped riders - I'm not so worried. Where do you live? I'm looking for fast guys to ride with come May.

dekindy
03-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Last I checked, it's still March. While I probably have well over 2000 miles in this year, I'm still doing base mileage on my fixed gear. There's this book called Base Building for Cyclists, the first few chapters are really worth reading... Anyway, if you blew past me today you could add me to that list of dropped riders - I'm not so worried. Where do you live? I'm looking for fast guys to ride with come May.

Well said.

Louis
03-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Talking to yourself again?? ;)

Perhaps we should create our own list of Notable Public Examples (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)) :)

Satellite
03-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Mr. Law,

Ha ha to be young and cocky with a rusty chain. I only wish I had the bike I have now in my racing years. I know I am NOT as fast as I once was with my long stem now flipped over; but I am happy just pedaling my sweet sweet ride. Pass me all you want I will still have a smile on my face.

Ride hard or hardly ride,

Satellite

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 02:15 PM

oh goOdie, another smartass.

csm
03-28-2009, 02:17 PM
oh goOdie, another smartass.

beats being a dumb one.

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 02:18 PM
beats being an ass, period.

scottcw2
03-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Let's all meet up and have a head cutting contest like the old blues men did back in the day.

I feel so inadequate compared to the awesomeness of someone who can drop sorry riders and live to brag about it. :rolleyes:

BTW - Forrest wasn't referring to self love.

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Let's all meet up and have a head cutting contest like the old blues men did back in the day.

I feel so inadequate compared to the awesomeness of someone who can drop sorry riders and live to brag about it. :rolleyes:

BTW - Forrest wasn't referring to self love.

not too bright, are you?

Johnny Law
03-28-2009, 02:22 PM
come on now betsy, this will only hurt for a second.

forrest and self love? what a dummy.

Ray
03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I hereby offer myself up as a passing victim for ANYone who needs an ego boost from passing another rider. I'm pretty slow so you'd probably pass me anyway, but I'm willing to ride as slowly as you want/need me to so you can get the full sensation of fully blowing by someone. And I ride a reasonably nice bike, so you'll have that to snicker about too. I could, for a small additional fee, wear a Rapha jersey so you could find me to be a poseur on any number of levels. Maybe an Assos bib or Sidis float your boat. Additional sartorial options available upon request. I don't shave my face or body as a general rule, though, so you'll have to live with the ignominy of ONLY passing a hairy fred. I might even be on a steel Riv, which would lessen your pleasure additionally, but I'm available to ride a ti Spectrum which might counteract the effects of the beard somewhat.

Specific prices and references available upon request.

-Ray