PDA

View Full Version : Max tire size Ouzo Pro fork?

05Fierte TI
03-28-2009, 07:34 AM
As a resident of Wisconsin, there are many rail-trail conversions in the state with the normal limestone base which I would like to start to ride. I have an old school mountain bike with a rigid fork but I do not like riding it for longer periods with the flat bar (actually I really do not like to ride the bike much at all).

So I was thinking, how large of tires could I fit in my Fierte with the Serotta logod Ouzo Pro fork. My Fierte has the carbon seat stay but I would assume the fork is more the limiting factor. Something like this interests me

http://www.velo-orange.com/

but I am concerned that there is not enough room with the fork.

I know what I really want is a cyclocross bike but I am presently unemployed so doing a new bike is not an option right now. When I am employed again, the cx idea can again be on the table, but I am looking for a solution in the mean time.

When I have a job again (assuming I can get close to my prior salary) I would like to get the Serotta Classique CX - seems priced right.

rwsaunders
03-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Find a friend that uses larger tires than you and experiment by putting one of their wheels (with tire) on your fork. Your LBS perhaps?

David Kirk
03-28-2009, 07:56 AM
I've used 25's without issue but much bigger wouldn't fit.

Dave

05Fierte TI
03-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks - does not look like there is a way to but a tire in the fork which would be reasonable for a limestone base trail. Thanks for the effort, I will have to work with the mountain bike for the time being. In looking at my two road bikes, the F3 fork on my CDA has even less tire room than the Ouzo Pro fork on my Fierte.

David Kirk
03-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks - does not look like there is a way to but a tire in the fork which would be reasonable for a limestone base trail. Thanks for the effort, I will have to work with the mountain bike for the time being. In looking at my two road bikes, the F3 fork on my CDA has even less tire room than the Ouzo Pro fork on my Fierte.

Frankly I wouldn't be too fussy. Throw some 25's on and give it a whirl. I ride 25's EVERYWHERE. Not perfect but fun. You might have to go a tad slower but who cares?

dave

Dekonick
03-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I ride 25's on my O2 fork (re-badged ouzo pro) -

:)

fixednwinter
03-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Going from 23mm to 25mm makes a surprisingly noticeable difference in comfort and handling rougher roads. True, it's still a bit narrow for really rough surfaces, but it's worthwhile to go the size.

Birddog
03-28-2009, 12:05 PM
With Conti UltraGatorskins on Mavic OP rims fully inflated there is about 3mm of side clearance and about 4mm at top. Measurements taken on an older Ouzo Pro fork with 1" steerer, but I think the measurements would be the same otherwise. An eyeball measurement (can't find my calipers) says the Contis are about 26mm at their widest.

Birddog

05Fierte TI
03-28-2009, 01:38 PM
My Fierte is currently wearing the older Vittoria CX tires which ran large and are really 24mm. I really like these as I can drop the tire pressure which makes them ride very well as I am almost always on a chip seal surface. I tried ordering some tires more recently thinking I would receive the same size but the new Vittoria tires are a true 23mm which I really do not like but I have three to wear out. Any new purchases will be the Vittoria 25s now that they are out. I should note that I have the Serotta 02 fork which I am pretty sure is the Ouzo Pro rebadged.

I am not sure the Vittoria tires are durable enough for a crushed limestone trail, anybody have any experience with this?

Birddog
03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
With Conti UltraGatorskins on Mavic OP rims fully inflated there is about 3mm of side clearance and about 4mm at top. I neglected to say that the Contis were 700/28, sorry.
Birddog

dnades
03-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I've got several stock ouzo pros which all fit the roly-poly which is a 27c tire. Clearance is tight. I managed to put my left foot into the front wheel once and whacked it out of true but it only hit the brakes and not the fork so I was able to ride it home after opening the brakes up a bit. It is a pretty decent tire on dirt roads/paved road rides. Comfy on the roads although you can skip around a bit on the dirt part, its got some tread but not a lot and if you get into loose stuff it is definitely better than a 23 size tire.

I got the rolypolys from rivbike.com where they've got a slew of stuff to do the kind of riding you want to do. I think they make a pasela tire in size 28 with more tread for hard packed dirt that might fit the fork. Grant Peterson(at rivbike) is a good source of no nonsense information.

You could also spring for a wound up(or other) cx fork. I think those have the most clearance for tire sizes. Once you secure a new job and get that cross frame you could switch out the forks.

good luck

Ken Robb
03-28-2009, 03:32 PM
remember to check rear clearance too--sometimes the chainstays or brake will be the limiting factor.

happycampyer
03-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Like dnades I have Roll-y Pol-y's with an OP fork, and the clearance is acceptable. Ken Robb is absolutely right though--the clearance in back can be tricky depending on chainstay length. Also, if your front derailleur has a clamp and isn't braze on, that will reduce clearance a little more.

05Fierte TI
03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys, the limiting factor on the bike is the fork so if the front works, the rear will work as it is a little more open. Thanks for the Rivendale Roly Poly idea, that is something I had not thought of before.

Trails are still too messy for anything too narrow but will try what I have when things dry out some. Snow forecasted tonight.

The cx fork idea is an idea I had already, thanks, but am hesitant to make the change yet - lets see how the job search goes. I am hoping I can treat myself to a new bike this coming winter.

CNY rider
03-28-2009, 05:15 PM
The biggest 700 X 25 I have seen is a Michelin PR2. I know they fit inside an OP fork because that's how I rode the FLR in the past.
They're just like Conti 700 X 28.
The Michelin in that size holds a very nice volume of air and is more rough road worthy than you might imagine. Maybe give them a shot.