PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Cycling Product of the Year...

sspielman
12-16-2004, 08:08 AM
As a "year in review" type of thing, what is your favorite single cycling-related product that you obtained this year...To kick things off, I will start:
After years of lust, I finally got a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbones. These wheels are super.....fast, reasonably light (for aero wheels), and with an aluminum braking surface (eliminating the need for special brake pads). As a pure bonus, the make a very subtle swooshing sound riding along... ..
Have at it fellow consumers!!!!

Sandy
12-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Veloflex Pave clincher tires. I acually bought them last year and used them for the first time this year. Wonderful supple ride that seems fast (Yes, I know- I am not fast). I just hope that they don't cut too much or flat too much.

Sandy

Too Tall
12-16-2004, 10:00 AM
UnderArmour skullcap.
Zipp Pave' Wheelset
Rock n' Roll Gold chain lube

Jack Brunk
12-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Reynolds Cirro tubular wheels
Dugast Sewups
Rockinroll tube spooze

Jack

drunkenfool
12-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Pedro's bottle opener and wall mounted bottle opener
Mavic Wintec wireless cadence computer

jerk
12-16-2004, 10:35 AM
see the jerk is always right....

saab2000
12-16-2004, 10:39 AM
I only have gotten a couple of new things this year (other than my Strong, which is not really a revolutionary product..... but I do like it).

I like the skull cap I got this spring after a mid-30s ride where I got extremely cold. That little skull cap makes a HUGE difference on cold days.

My Bontrager offset rear rim is still in the new stages, but I will say that nitial indications are positive.

My Modolo Curvissima handlebars are light and stiff, but not as comfy as I thought they would be. Drop is too small. Also, the carbon shows some indication of distortion at the clamp....

My vote for my personal best new product, especially for the price, goes to the $15 skull cap. Very cheap, very effective.

saab2000
12-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Next year I want a set of new tubular rims. I may have to splurge and get some of those Dugast tubulars to see if the jerk is always right...... :beer:

drunkenfool
12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Saab2000,
if you give James a ring at IBEX sports in NH (importer of Modolo) he will tell you the that the distortion around the clamp is normal. it is a plastic to help the clamp set. Similar to the extra clear coat on the Serotta carbon stays to help seat the rear brake.

saab2000
12-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Mr. Drunkenfool,

Thanks for the tip. At this time, I will continue to use the bar. In spite of the distortion, they do not feel any different than they did when new. I do not dislike the bars, nor do I have any reason to believe that they are damaged. I installed them very carefully with a torque wrench, using a Deda Newton stem. So far, so good. The only issue is that they are not deep enough. I thought they would be OK, but they are not what I had hoped for. But they were too expensive to stop using! :rolleyes:

Dekonick
12-16-2004, 11:39 AM
By far its the Hors Categorie that Ben and Co brought back into production...

Oh.... DARN. I am dreaming again...

For me its da carbon record brifters... Love em.

Spinner
12-16-2004, 12:04 PM
nitto bottle cages. these puppies are works of art.

berthoud saddle bag. classic style and looks with plenty of room.

berthoud carbon fiber fenders. very cool.

Kevan
12-16-2004, 12:15 PM
If it were a religion, I'd be sitting in the front pew. Great stuff, particularly the vanilla flavor since it's not over powering in flavor and melds well with any power drink swill. Other brands don't seem to wind my rubber band quite as tight, so GU it is...

There seems to be a near immediate response as my bud Mikemets is always quick to moan, "Oh no, not a Gu!" His comment probably does me better than the actual sugars. I give it:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

pbbob
12-16-2004, 01:23 PM
favorite thing [until fedex santa arrives tomorrow with my new frame] has been a spectrum powder works respray on my foco frame.

ChamUK
12-16-2004, 01:29 PM
After twenty years of riding on selle italia turbos, I got a Prolink Trans Am.
What a revelation!!! No numbness or discomfort(once dialed in). It's an awesome saddle.
My favorite bargain of the year: Cannondale Basic Essential Jersey, it's less than 30 bucks! High quality, light, perfect for summer, and even made in the U.S. For 30 bucks, you can't go wrong.

oracle
12-16-2004, 01:32 PM
rats.... (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/pinarello_dogma_fp)

wish i waited for the fat new bb....

Bill Bove
12-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Hincapie bib shorts. Not because they are the best shorts I've ever worn, they're not but they're good enough, it's because they're pink :banana: . glorious pink :banana: and match my pink :banana: jersey and pink :banana: bike.

second would be the Giro Atmos helmet, if only it came in pink...

Climb01742
12-16-2004, 03:57 PM
hampsten parlee Z1
modolo curvisimmo bars
bontrager race x lite wheels

Len J
12-16-2004, 04:13 PM
American Classic AC 420 wheels
Brooks Swallow saddle
Ottrott ST

Happy holidays all.

Len

RABikes2
12-16-2004, 10:44 PM
If it were a religion, I'd be sitting in the front pew. Great stuff, particularly the vanilla flavor since it's not over powering in flavor and melds well with any power drink swill. Other brands don't seem to wind my rubber band quite as tight, so GU it is...

There seems to be a near immediate response as my bud Mikemets is always quick to moan, "Oh no, not a Gu!" His comment probably does me better than the actual sugars. I give it:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
I second the GU, Kevan! If you haven't tried the NEW "Expresso Love" GU, you are missing out! It DOES taste like expresso/coffee and it has double the caffeine! Oh baby, baby...yahoooo! :banana: :banana:

Lost Weekend
12-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Sidi dominators fer sure. Really comfy. Me likes lots :)

dsimon
12-16-2004, 11:42 PM
:) cane creek wheels arohead with ti spokes makes my csi really light

Bill Bove
12-17-2004, 02:06 AM
My black "LiveWrong" band to my list of favorite cycling related purchases this year.

Kevin
12-17-2004, 04:10 AM
Custom Rocket 7 shoes.

Kevin

Ti-Boy
12-17-2004, 04:36 AM
The Moots Smoothie Al I got my wife for our 15th anniversary. Got her riding more and got me A LOT of good will. Already know what my 05 fav will be- the custom Parlee Z1x being delivered in the end of January.

Birddog
12-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Saddleco "Flow" saddle. I almost gave up on it, then I got it positioned just right.

Birddog

scottcw
12-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Specialized Pro Carbon road shoes. Finally no toe pinch.

gasman
12-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Calfee Tetra Pro
Fizik Airione
Rolf Elan wheels

Tom
12-17-2004, 12:37 PM
That's not my fault! I swear it! My evil twin Skippy typed that and when I unlocked my keyboard it was posted. I've been framed, I tell you, framed!

alembical
12-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Podium Girls
Pez Daily Distractions

:banana:

shinomaster
12-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Santini twist gel bibs.. Ok, I got a free pair, and then bought another pair on e-bay because I liked them so much. There are probably better shorts out there, but for the price they are hard to beat. I can't see $300 shorts being that much better.

shinomaster
12-17-2004, 12:42 PM
oops ...also my Michelin Mud cross tires..they say 30mm wide but are way more chubby.. Nother corners better!!

Andreu
12-17-2004, 12:51 PM
"removable" Pegoretti head badge.

Dr. Doofus
12-17-2004, 01:35 PM
the money sent each month to Spinelli

no illusions about what it will do, but a good guy

runner-up: the year's worth of recovery massages from the school's trainer...damn well worth the two dozen tubes of Icy Hot

zap
12-17-2004, 02:03 PM
1-booties, never had them before.
2-Knee warmers, ditto
3-AX Lightness saddle.

Sandy
12-17-2004, 09:27 PM
We have threadless forks and tubelss tires, so how about stemless bikes, so that we can all be one big happy family next year?

Stemcell Sandy