PDA

View Full Version : Ride it like it's stolen

Too Tall
12-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Not the pastry.

Could this be the start of my Trials bike? It's not mine however the size could work for me. Question is, will it be worthy for competition?

William
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
That's just the frame I was going to reccomend. ;)

Willia,m

zap
12-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Na.

My quick read of the specs tells me any al mtb bike will win.

shaq-d
12-16-2004, 09:48 AM
drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hooot

sd

Too Tall
12-16-2004, 09:50 AM
OK Snoop :cool:

Why aluminum mtn bike? There will be a ton of climbing in the event and much ground to cover.

coylifut
12-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Pattern it after this, but with couplers. http://www.antbikemike.com/images/Bikes/cr3big.jpg

coylifut
12-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Na.

My quick read of the specs tells me any al mtb bike will win.

Friday:

- 4am start: 101 mile ride with 5500' of climbing. The route features good roads except for about 5-10 miles of bumpy, bad roads and a 200m gravel stretch (a portage, some years). The route features two real climbs, plus a rolling return.

- Designated restaurant for dinner, no-host.

- Evening program at the host hotel: “The Original Technical Trials in France” by Jan Heine.

Saturday:

- 600am start: app 80 mile ride with about 6-7,000' of climbing. This includes about 20 miles of “no longer maintained” roads, a two and a half mile downhill dirt road, and about 60 miles of good roads, including some urban navigating through Santa Barbara. The route features three major uphill sections and one epic, thrilling descent, plus the dirt descent.

- Designated restaurant for dinner, no-host.

- Evening program at the host hotel: subject and speaker TBA.

Sunday:

- 600am start: 50 mile ride with 5000' of climbing. The route features some good roads, some bumpy, bad roads, a few miles of uphill dirt road, and epic, thrilling downhills. This is an epic climbing route - "Figueroa Mountain" - on which the US Postal Team and other pro and elite amateur teams train every Spring.

- Noon: Awards program with BBQ at the host hotel, officially ending the event.

- Awards presented: "Croix de Fer," "Prix de la Publique," "Pilote Plus Vite," and others"

That would really suck on a mountain bike.

zap
12-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Huh. One could put together a sub 18 lbs (well, 22 w/lights and cute carbon fenders) mtb bike that is as solid as a brick.

Disc brakes to boot.

Ken Robb
12-16-2004, 11:22 AM
I have this frame in 62cm w/Ultegra Triple/open pros. I ride it on dirt roads and trails easily with 700x28 Ultragatorskins--no problem but I haven't had to rideit in mud. Wet sand is easy.
I think you might want to run 700x32 tires for the rougher rides in the trials.
The Riv Atlantis would be more biased toward offroad accepting tires to 700x52. If you can find a Riv Redwood that would work as well as the Rambo and complete bikes were only $1550 less saddle and pedals.

Too Tall
12-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Cool Ken :) I normally ride a 64 TT (73ish STA) and 110 stem with lots of drop. This weekend I'll figure out if this is going to work or not...than again some fool may bid the silly thing space too :rolleyes: I have all sorts of old school bits to hang on it. It def. would start life with my boyhood campy nuvo record der. and 5 spd. stuff. Yippee.

Don't disagree with yah Zapper however those small wheels just won't roll like 700c and makes me look even more like the big freak I am.

Ken Robb
12-16-2004, 02:09 PM
just remember the frame takes standard reach not short reach brakes, hence the good tire/fender clearance. I have a bike w/standad reach Nuovo Record so your old stuff may be perfect. My Rambo has the std.reach Ultegra dual pivot brakes and they are good.

zap
12-16-2004, 05:10 PM
tt-you have a f.chance. so that would be perfect. OK, it's not al, so it would be a little heavier, but I'm sure these organizers have some real surprises up their sleeves, so a mtb would thrive. otherwise, whats the point.

it would just be cool to see some rugged mtb with no suspension win the comp.

jerk
12-16-2004, 06:28 PM
ahm....judging by that course, no offense but a modern road bike would be the best choice...just saying.
jerk

coylifut
12-16-2004, 08:17 PM
tt-you have a f.chance. so that would be perfect. OK, it's not al, so it would be a little heavier, but I'm sure these organizers have some real surprises up their sleeves, so a mtb would thrive. otherwise, whats the point.

it would just be cool to see some rugged mtb with no suspension win the comp.

Still holding on to the mountain bike eh. There's about 230 miles of riding in 3 days and only 30 or so miles are on what are described as, no longer maintained, dirt or gravel roads. I ride "no longer maintained, dirt or gravel roads" weekly on my road bikes. There are some "epic climbing day." 5,000 feet of climbing in 50 miles, on "some good roads, some bumpy, bad roads" sounds like hell on a mtb.

zap
12-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Well, it was a thought :rolleyes: . I agree, road bikes can take a lot of abuse and roll better.

M_A_Martin
12-16-2004, 11:20 PM
I think my Kirk Terraplane would be the perfect bike for the trip. I'm not the perfect rider...but the bike would be perfect for the route...Much more nimble on the rough roads and trails than my road bike...

Too Tall
12-17-2004, 06:20 AM
I'm dying to know what these fellers have in mind and how can they prevent this from becoming more of a speed contest than a showcase and test of bicycles / builders / design? Americans who participate in Brevets and Rando events tend to race them rather than just ride. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Actually, I think it's kind of sexy to fling a fine racing bike down a rock strewn path....not to mention fun.

pale scotsman
12-17-2004, 07:54 AM
I'm starting to think a Moots YBB that has been hampstenized might be the ticket for this one...

flydhest
12-17-2004, 08:30 AM
TooTall,

How about riding my Hors Categorie cyclocross bike?

You riding with us to celebrate my birthday? You know what happens when bikers stop by the house on the weekends, right? mmmm, hot apple cider and scones.

Too Tall
12-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Flyguy, I had family obligations sorry chief....your hospitality is uttery wonderful NO QUESTION. Ah-ll Bee baaaakkk.

What is the Top Tube on your Legend and does it have fender eyelets?

On a grim note. The Rivendell Rambouillet sold for $880 on ebay. OMG! $400 more and you have a new bike...what's up with that?

Bruce K
12-23-2004, 06:43 AM
TT;

Probably bought by the same guy who paid $30.00 for 4 HED wheel decals that you can get FREE just by calling HAD and asking for them.

BK

Ken Robb
12-23-2004, 11:43 AM
re: the Rambouillet sale. The new frames and forks are $1300 and this one looked "newish" to me. The orange color is no longer available and the lugs have been made a bit plainer on the new blue ones so this buyer is probably happy with his purchase. FWIW you might still be able to find a Redwood which is the tall version of the Romulus for $1550 for an almost complete bike. The build is only slightly less elaborate than a Rambouillet and the geometry is very similar. I guess I may have said that before.