PDA

View Full Version : How many bikes do you "need"?

MattTuck
03-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Spicoli's post here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=57355) got me thinking.

How many bikes should a bike enthusiast have? I currently have two bikes (a mountain and a road) and hope to add a Serotta road bike into the mix before the year is out.

I can still remember my parents asking me "why do you need two bikes?" when I bought the road bike (already had the mountain).

For me, space is a big inhibitor of bike hoarding, as I live with my fiance in a small apartment. When we eventually get a house, I need to know how much space my bikes will take. I told her that we would have to erect a barn that would serve as bike stables, shop and roller/trainer space.

But seriously, how would you rank bike purchases in terms of importance? This reminds me of gun owners (22 pistol, 22 rifle, 45 pistol, 12g shotgun, ar-15 should all be in a person's "arsenal"), or business people, (charcoal grey, navy, black, light grey, navy pinstripe suits, in that order should be in the closet)

So, avoiding "collecting", what bikes belong in the "essentials" category of a bike enthusiast? Obviously, it depends on what type of riding you prefer (for isntance, some may not have a mountain bike at all).

Road bike
"Good" road bike
Rain bike
Commuter bike
Time trial bike
Cyclo-cross
Fixie/single-speed
Touring
Mountain Bike - Full suspension
Mountain Bike - Front suspension only

1centaur
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
trainer bike with trainer tire, always on the trainer and ready to ride.

csm
03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I've always thought of bikes, shotguns and flyrods as similar... how many do you need? one for every application?
I've pared my flyrods down to 3...but in that can use 7 different line wts so that's something like 21? but some mixes wouldn't really work. no point for example, to use my 10 wt saltwater rod with 4 wt line so....
shotguns are a little simpler.... 12 ga turkey/waterfowl gun will work for upland birds too as it will chamber different loads but my double is limited for waterfowl b/c it's limited to 2 3/4 shells vs 3 or 3 1/2.
bikes.... I've been known to ride my legend on rails to trails and other mixed surfaces. I also ride my mountain bike around town to get coffee, take the kids to the dollar store and parks. but they are both suited for one application and the others are adapting.
ideally I think 3 would be the magic number; road bike, mountain bike and a cross bike. maybe a townie too so 4 is better.

bhungerford
03-26-2009, 11:48 AM
what i have is this:

1. good road bike
2. two "spare" road bikes (for when a friend comes in town, or the roads are a little bad, or the A bike is waiting on some part)
3. a commuter/cross/cold winter bike (has fenders)
4. mt bike
5. spare mt bike (again for the friends)
6. fixie (for getting coffee/ice cream)

I also am planning on getting an S&S coupled bike for travelling, probably would have wider tires (28) and fender mounts, i'm thinking a bare Ti bike here

And a classic bike is nice just to have for charity rides, good steel so its comfy, and will make you want to take it easy and enjoy the company on those rides.

could also get a full blown cross bike if you're into that sort a thing

so, IMO, one should have at least 9, possibly 10 bikes

and I was lucky enough to talk the wife into buying our new house with the idea the entire finished basement is my bike room. :beer:

Lurch
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I think my magic number is about 1 more then I can afford. :)

I have:

1. one road bike
2. one road project frame in upgrade
3. One FS MTB 26"
4. One HT MTB 29"
5. One SS MTB 29" for sale

Need and "need" are not the same. If you have the bug and the passion, you'll constanly be wanting to try new products, geometies, setups, eye candy.

So for me it all boils down to: what is that number, x, that will result in my fiance killing me when it becomes x+1.

RPS
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
"Need" = 2

An all-around single and a tandem; unless one can convert to do both functions. ;)

"Want" = lots

girlie
03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
I only NEED 1 = road.
I WANT 6: 1 commuter, 2 cross, 2 road, and 1 mountain.
I HAVE 2, a road and a cross.
Years ago had to sell the mountain bike to get a new race road bike. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices:( I still really miss the mountain bike.

girlie

Ken C
03-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I really only need one. I have a road bike with 57mm brakes, fender eyelets and sheldon fender nuts so I can install and remove fenders in less than 2 minutes.

2 sets of wheels, one with PR2's and one with Jack Browns, covers all the riding I need.

I would like a couple more, but one will do.

Climb01742
03-26-2009, 12:26 PM
lurch and i almost agree. my version is: we always need one more than we have.

scottcw2
03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
One primary road bike, one back up, one fixed gear. What are these other bikes you speak of? ;)

cp43
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm at 9 at the moment, planing on going to 8:

1. Road bike
2. Touring/commuter
3. Cross/commuter (discs and studded tires)
4. MTB, full suspension 29er
5. MTB, 26er, back up
6. Tri bike
7. FG/SS, it's too much fun not to have one :banana:
8. Grocery getter, huge Wald wire baskets.

I have been able to convince myself that I "need" all 8. Convincing anyone else would be difficult ;)

Chris

I Want Sachs?
03-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Absolute Need is really only one bike.

A Front Suspension Hardtail Mountainbike can travel any off road situation as long as you have good skills, and a powerful rider on mountainbike can ride faster than me on the road or dirt trail faster than I can on any light roadbike.

gman
03-26-2009, 12:57 PM
What I have:

Nice, primary, sunny day bike
Back up bike (used to the primary)
Fixed gear bike
Track bike
Commuter/foul whether bike with fenders
Dedicated trainer bike
Cross bike
Mountain bike
Tandem

I am hoping to add one more - a travel bike.

That's all I need.

caleb
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I think a Surly Cross Check would do almost anything. It'd be passable as a road bike, cross bike, tourer, or light MTB.

http://velospace.org/files/surly.may.right.velo.jpg

But just because it can passably do anything doesn't mean there's no point in specialized tools.

Someone above compared bikes to shotguns, and I think the comparison is valid. A guy can hunt anything with a 12 ga. Remington 870, but that doesn't mean a 28 ga. Grulla wouldn't be a better quail gun.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/WORLDFILM/150bmg020-1.jpg

Similarly, an HSG will be a better race bike than a Surly.

So, the question is, I think, how specialized do you want to be?

bhungerford
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I think we all have issues, but in a good way :D at least we have a passion for something that will help keep us healthy! I used to think i only 'needed' a road and mtb, strange how that 'need' keeps changing.

totally agree with the x number, and will be different for everyone.

mister
03-26-2009, 01:07 PM
really only need one...either road or track bike (ss/fg).
i think 3 is a good number though (since that's all i have room for right now).

road bike, geometry is a little too aggressive so i could use a more comfy road bike.
track bike, pretty impractical since i'm not often going to drive a few hours just to ride on a velodrome.
touring/commuter/all around bike...going to be nicest bike i have but only bike with fenders...and most expensive...shoulda thought that one out.

so i guess i could use two more. a rain bike and a bike with more relaxed geometry for the long road rides.

alancw3
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
this topic has been covered many times. being that as it may for me the reality is one bike. i have had a stable of up to five bikes but i only ride one. the most new. when i realized this i sold my other bikes. glad i did. less maintenance and cleaning! for me one bike rules!!!

TimD
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
1. Road bike for home (Ottrott ST)
2. Road bike for work (Legend Ti)
3. Single-speed or FX for winter (CAAD5)
4. Cross / around town (Jamis Nova)
5. Mountain bike (which I don't own)

Tim

Pete Serotta
03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Bikes WANTED = One more !!! ;)

jvp
03-26-2009, 01:39 PM
need? at least one.
want? always one more.
have? 5 -
1 new track for road and commuting
2 vintage track, one w/ some modern parts for comfort/commuting, one w/ all old parts
1 vintage steel road set up for cyclocross
1 vintage steel road set up for distance

paulrad9
03-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I think a Surly Cross Check would do almost anything. It'd be passable as a road bike, cross bike, tourer, or light MTB.

I have to agree with that. I wanted one do-all bike and ended up *not* getting the Cross Check and regret it. The CC fairs very well on club-rides, touring & commuting (with fenders and rack) and running errands.

TC Johnson
03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
If I were to be honest, one bike would probably be enough as long as it could cover any of the usual terrain around my home from paved and hilly roads to smooth but unpaved trails. Something like a 'cross bike with discs and a few sets of wheels to allow for easy alternatives. But where is the fun in that!

What I really think is that variety is the spice of life, and if you can afford it or are patient enough to save and plan, here is my list:

Quality road bike - Ti or carbon
Alternate road bike for bad weather
Trainer bike for indoors
Classic Steel - for the love of it
'Cross bike for the versatility
Tri/TT bike - road geometry just won't do
Single speed/fixie for fun
Track Bike for the LV Velodrome
Road Tandem
Hardtail MTB for smooth trails
Full Suspension MTB for when its bumpy
Project bike - to keep the mechanical skills alive

The actual bikes that fit these categories will change over time, since there is always something new or desireable to rotate in. This of course doesn't include bikes for my wife, which could potentially add a couple to some of the categories.

TC

Ray
03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
As stated in the OP, it depends on the rider. I used to have seven and the +1 rule applied. Then that rule changed to the 'enough' rule and then morphed into the -1 rule. At the moment, I 'need' 2, one road bike and one around town errand bike that can carry a good bit of stuff comfortably. That's what I 'need', calculated by what I actually use spontaneously, not because "I haven't been riding this one enough lately".

That's not what I have though.

I have four, those two plus a fixie that I'm no longer riding enough to justify keeping, (but no need to sell it for the small $$ I'd get), and a second road bike that has fatter tires, fenders, more gears, and comes apart for travel. I'd probably keep the second road bike unless I had a compelling reason not to. I also have a folder that I love but rarely use. It folds though, so it doesn't take up any room and occasionally is good for a trip into the city on the train.

Bikes that have fallen by the wayside include several types of off-road bikes and full-on touring bikes. Just not into those pursuits anymore.

-Ray

93legendti
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
travel bike
tandem
winter bike
fast group ride bike
bike for pulling my son in the Burley
rain bike
single speed bike

goonster
03-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Brevet bike
Go-fast road bike
Fixed gear bike
Commuter

fixednwinter
03-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I only "need" my Hampsten Strada Bianca. Like another poster here, it too uses 57mm brakes, fits tires up to 28mm with fenders or 35mm without, and has Sheldon nuts to quickly strip off the fenders. Rear rack eyelets too, if I want panniers.

But I also have -

- 70's geometry road racing bike in 953 stainless steel, 57mm brakes, 28mm tires max size
- Racing road bike, '80's geometry, MAX tubing, 25mm tires max size, lower bars
- Fixed bike with fenders for winter training
- Cross bike: cross use only, not for road - single ring w/double guards up front, 9sp cassette, no H2O cages, no eyelets
- City bike, 26" wheels, fenders, rack, lights, 4speed coaster hub, Moustache bars, fat Brooks 66 saddle

ejh
03-26-2009, 03:07 PM
road bikes 2
concours ti
specialized tarmac sl2 carbon
tt 1
legend ti
track 1
an old cannondale
mountain bike 3
fisher hoo koo e koo old steel
giant nrs f/s aluminum
specialized stumpjumper f/s carbon
cross 1
specialized tricross aluminum

r_mutt
03-26-2009, 03:07 PM
1 commute bike (steel) that doubles as rain/bad weather training bike. one can't be afraid to have this stolen either as it gets locked up running errands.

1 full-on race bike that won't make you cry when someone puts you in the gutter and you go down - aluminum or last years carbon on super sale.

1 steel custom for long, hard, or not so hard rides. must be easy on the eyes.

1 track bike - steel or aluminum. must be a weapon, but being beautiful helps.

1 cross bike- it goes without saying, one can't be afraid of getting dirty.

1 classic steel merckx (needs no explanation).

1 modern, carbon, colnago- just because :)

:cool:

JohnHemlock
03-26-2009, 03:15 PM
I really only need one. I have a road bike with 57mm brakes, fender eyelets and sheldon fender nuts so I can install and remove fenders in less than 2 minutes.

2 sets of wheels, one with PR2's and one with Jack Browns, covers all the riding I need.

I would like a couple more, but one will do.

This is what I SHOULD do. I have a Salsa Casseroll single speed for commuting and coffee fetchin', a Bianchi Rollo for hauling the Burley, and I have a Merckx Corsa 7-11 for riding the hils and mountains, etc.

That in and of itself doesn't sound too grotesque, given several other posts in this thread. But I am in a couple of build queues with an eye towards a couple of other things I have convinced myself I need. I also think bikes are beautiful - if utility were my only consideration I would have only one. And spending $$$ on bikes cuts down on the gambling and whoring.

Ray
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM
And spending $$$ on bikes cuts down on the gambling and whoring.
That's what you tell your wife, right? :cool:

RudAwkning
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Brevet bike
Go-fast road bike
Fixed gear bike
Commuter

These sounds like my choices if forced to distill things.

I might also include a cross bike that would double as a touring bike (clearance for fenders, rackmount, etc.). Doesn't get as much love in repect to either duty though so it's not necessarily essential.

And of course some folks may use their touring bike as their brevet bike. And some folks might use their go fast bike as their brevet bike. For me, my idea of a brevet bike is pretty specific. Specific enough to warrant it's own categorization.

Elefantino
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
I need one road bike. It's ti, so it's good for anything. (I have two.)

Actually, I need three road bikes. One for my wife.

Actually redux ... I want to be Jack Brunk.

14max
03-26-2009, 05:06 PM

bironi
03-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Well I need one, but want many. I feel like a real freak on this forum. :beer:

jasond
03-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I have one road (Serotta HSG IT) pretty much good for anything and one mountain bike (GT Zaskar LE) which I bought in 1999 and I still love it. Oh and I did just get the green light for a new road/fixie, boy are the wheels turning.

J

false_Aest
03-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Once upon a time I worked at a bike shop:

I had a Serotta mtb with full xtr, a Serotta road bike with ultegra, an orange crate, a Voodoo, a fixie and a lil indie 500 along with random other stuff.

Sold the mtb, sold the crate, sold the voodoo and the indie to go to college.

This past winter I stripped the road bike and built a CX. Stripped down the fixie to sell parts and help build the CX. Sold the CX to build up the roadbike.

I have one bike. I can only ride one bike at a time. I am not awesome on a bike and I do not deserve more than what I have.

Ti Designs
03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I could give up cycling and sit in front of the TV, so I guess I need zero bikes.

Assuming I don't give up cycling, I need a bike for each different type of riding. For example, I have a fixed gear which gets used all winter for base mileage and I have my real track bike. Two bikes that kinda look like the same breed, but the fixed gear can't do what I ask of my track bike, and I can't imagine spending 6 hours on my track bike.

So here's my list - if anyone feels that one bike could take the place of any two, show me the way it's done - I need the room.

Fixed gear: Surley Steamroller with cross tires. Almost all of my winter base mileage, some off road, lots of bad conditions in the winter.

Track bike: Peter Mooney Pista. Speedwork and track racing.

Road bike: Serotta La Corsa. This is my home away from home, the bike that sees the most mileage.

Mountain bike: IF Deluxe. I don't use this bike enough, when I do it's not for anything I would try with road wheels. Not fast, not stoppable.

Road tandem: Co-Motion Robusta. OK, I have no stoker right now, so you could argue it's just another road bike. For smooth roads (which we don't have) it's the fastest non-motorized thing on wheels.

Off road tandem: Ritchey Skyliner. An off road tandem is just plain stupid, so it figures that I own one. This is really a go anywhere tandem, not unlike a 2 person version of my Steamroller.

Unicycle: Miyata 20". Nothing gets around my basement better than my unicycle. I've tried taking some of the tight corners on my tandem, the uni works so much better. Doesn't do so well on ice...

Drinking bike: Raleigh 3-speed frame, fixed gear. I don't need this bike. I don't even want this bike. I've left it places and staggered home, someone always brings the damn thing back to me. Its the bike I never have to lock up. On one pub crawl my friends were taking the time to lock their bikes, I just took mine and tossed it over a pole. Anyone willing to lift the thing 5 feet over the pole could have it - nobody did. At one stop I got off the bike at the door of the bar while it was still moving. When I came back out it was waiting for me a half block down where it crashed. It's not so much a bike that I need, I think it needs me...

Dekonick
03-26-2009, 06:39 PM
one more than my wife allows me to have.

tuscanyswe
03-26-2009, 06:43 PM
What i need usually follows the simple formula of what i got plus 1 new.

with that said i could get by on my cross bike alone if i had to i guess.

gemship
03-26-2009, 06:45 PM
I own four but spend most of my time on the same one. Thinking about ditching two of them but the resale value would be terrible, they don't take much space and they all fit well. I guess that's a good couple of reasons to keep all of them. The one bike I don't have and would really like to own is a full suspension cross county mountain bike. I live near some very gnarly rock,root infested single track that makes my hardtail a bucking bronco.

C5 Snowboarder
03-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I believe you should have multiple choice in the Stable or the Quiver.

I only have 2 road bikes but will add a new one this year, I have 10 snowboards, 3 sets of golf clubs, and 4 cars. One must have multiple toys - I think it has to do with I am only allowed to have 1 girlfriend - so I make up for it in other areas. :fight: :fight: :beer:

gemship
03-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Well I need one, but want many. I feel like a real freak on this forum. :beer:

for the love of bicycles and the presence of this forum it's only natural to want more :beer:

Marcusaurelius
03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Although I probably only need two: one touring bike and one road bike I have managed to convince myself that a cyclcross is good, a cyclocross with disc brakes even better and an extra winter road bike wouldn't be a bad idea.

I've tried a mountain bike several times but I just can't get used to the flat bar.

SoCalSteve
03-26-2009, 07:15 PM
"Need" = 2

An all-around single and a tandem; unless one can convert to do both functions. ;)

"Want" = lots

I like your style!

Just sayin'

Steve

Elefantino
03-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Road bike: Serotta La Corsa. This is my home away from home, the bike that sees the most mileage.
I either didn't know or forgot you had a La Corsa.

ST or all ti?

rounder
03-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I could give up cycling and sit in front of the TV, so I guess I need zero bikes.

Assuming I don't give up cycling, I need a bike for each different type of riding. For example, I have a fixed gear which gets used all winter for base mileage and I have my real track bike. Two bikes that kinda look like the same breed, but the fixed gear can't do what I ask of my track bike, and I can't imagine spending 6 hours on my track bike.

So here's my list - if anyone feels that one bike could take the place of any two, show me the way it's done - I need the room.

Fixed gear: Surley Steamroller with cross tires. Almost all of my winter base mileage, some off road, lots of bad conditions in the winter.

Track bike: Peter Mooney Pista. Speedwork and track racing.

Mountain bike: IF Deluxe. I don't use this bike enough, when I do it's not for anything I would try with road wheels. Not fast, not stoppable.

Road tandem: Co-Motion Robusta. OK, I have no stoker right now, so you could argue it's just another road bike. For smooth roads (which we don't have) it's the fastest non-motorized thing on wheels.

Off road tandem: Ritchey Skyliner. An off road tandem is just plain stupid, so it figures that I own one. This is really a go anywhere tandem, not unlike a 2 person version of my Steamroller.

Unicycle: Miyata 20". Nothing gets around my basement better than my unicycle. I've tried taking some of the tight corners on my tandem, the uni works so much better. Doesn't do so well on ice...

Drinking bike: Raleigh 3-speed frame, fixed gear. I don't need this bike. I don't even want this bike. I've left it places and staggered home, someone always brings the damn thing back to me. Its the bike I never have to lock up. On one pub crawl my friends were taking the time to lock their bikes, I just took mine and tossed it over a pole. Anyone willing to lift the thing 5 feet over the pole could have it - nobody did. At one stop I got off the bike at the door of the bar while it was still moving. When I came back out it was waiting for me a half block down where it crashed. It's not so much a bike that I need, I think it needs me...

Coach, everybody here likes bikes but you have a really unique way of looking at them.

Ti Designs
03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
I either didn't know or forgot you had a La Corsa.

ST or all ti?

Before there was a La Corsa, we had asked Serotta to make a custom version of the Fierte to compete with the Seven Alaris. The bike was first called the Chimera, mine is serial #003. I was also in the Serotta catalog that year on the La Corsa page, but using my face was a tragic sales mistake, sales dropped like a rock and the bike was soon deleted from their line.

Mine is an ST, using the Reynolds seat stays. The La Corsa was always a price point bike, so there were next to no options. It was a Fierte for those who didn't fit the stock geometry of the Fierte. They offered no paint options, no finish options and only four decal colors. I ordered my with red decals on the right side, blue on the left, mostly 'cause I knew it would cost them $8 more than using a single decal set...

toaster
03-27-2009, 06:23 AM
I wonder how I now have 11 bikes in my garage?

yodelinpol
03-27-2009, 06:45 AM
I just want one. If I had my choice today it would be a Tournesol. 28mm tires and full fenders and medium to long reach brakes for bigger tires for a few different rides during the year. And a few bags/racks to put on for brevet type rides and credit card touring etc...

At the moment I have a road and a fixed. (and one mountain in pieces on the floor)

Velosmith
03-27-2009, 07:36 AM
In the Northwest

* Geared light bike
* Fixed light bike
* Geared bike with full fenders
* Fixed bike with full fenders
* Assortment of vintage projects

Volant
03-27-2009, 08:04 AM
You always 'need' one more!!

At one point, I had 13. I took that down to 1, a mt. bike. I used that bike for everything; road with Ritchey 1" slicks to mtb'ing with 2.3s. I still have it and it's still my favorite, although it doesn't see the time it used to. I've since gained some heft in the stable with:

3 road and 1 on the way (Serotta sees most time)
1 brevet all weather disc Vanilla-ish at the paint shop
1 hardtail tringle-speed (3x1)
1 29'er rigid SS (sale pending)
1 650b 4" FS
4 frames (1 mt, 3 road that are for sale)

My next adder will be a fixed and a cross for gravel-mt. roads.

csi & legend ti
03-27-2009, 08:09 AM
My wife would say one ;) . I currently have 7 bikes. One is a dedicated winter bike. A mountain bike, tandem, fixed, touring, lastly 2 Serottas. Hope to add an Ottrott to the group. Would like to get a bike just for riding on the indoor trainer. Also would like to get a cyclocross bike.

I guess if I could only have (gasp) one bike it would be a touring bike.

Now if I could just get the CSI and Legend to mate :D .

Ride Safely,
Jim

Samster
03-27-2009, 08:19 AM
1 bike is all you need.

Ti Designs
03-27-2009, 08:57 AM
1 bike is all you need.

If you always do the same kind of rides... I've noticed that nobody on the track uses a road bike (and they said I was sleeping), I've never seen anyone do the 5 notch ride in NH on a fixed gear and it's really hard to picture tandem riding without a tandem.

As much as I love the idea of just taking the bike closest to the door with air in the tires, sometimes it's just not the right bike.

Nil Else
03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
As much as I love the idea of just taking the bike closest to the door with air in the tires, sometimes it's just not the right bike.

That's why...

Nice carbon for nice rides solo or w/ nice riding buds
Carbon bike that I've had for a few years, I like and I keep as future "antique car" like bike.
Ti/carbon bike
Nice classic steel No.1
Nice classic steel No.2
Carbon everyday all arounder
Race/unpredictable group ride Al bike
Trainer/back up race Al bike
Rain/city classic steel beater
CX
track bike
Full sus MTB

May not be 'just right' but one CX bike coulda done most though if needed be...

Jeff N.
03-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I need only one bike. And Hugh Hefner needs only one woman. :rolleyes: Jeff N.

SoCalSteve
03-27-2009, 11:51 AM

I like your style as well!

Just sayin'

Steve

Nil Else
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM

:bike: is this something like monogamy vs polygamy...? :argue:

android
03-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Best Roadbike: Spectrum Steel w/ DA 7800
2nd Best / Travel Roadbike: Waterford SR-14 w/ S&S couplers and Ultegra SL
Track Bike: Spectrum w/ DA
TT Bike: Cervelo P2C w/ DA 7800
Tandem: Santana Arriva w/ mostly Ultegra 6600

I don't do off road, I get poison ivy too easily. (It's a good excuse and saves me lots of $$$)

I think my next bike needs to be a road fixed gear.

I also want a stupid light CF bike some time in the future. Not because I believe the 3 less lbs will make difference, but because it would be cool.

Kevan
03-27-2009, 01:45 PM
The Calfee's the gun.
The Ebisu is the knife.
The ol' Bridgestone is the spoon.

Each have their own talents. Each tug on my heart in different directions.

fiamme red
03-27-2009, 02:09 PM
The Calfee's the gun.
The Ebisu is the knife.
The ol' Bridgestone is the spoon.

Each have their own talents. Each tug on my heart in different directions.What happened to the Serotta with the 1980's neon fade? :)

dhoff
09-12-2011, 08:53 PM
All of them

one will do just fine,

hiljentaa
09-12-2011, 09:30 PM
I think I'd be happy with these:

Road bike. - All day, nice weather rider. 25-28s.
Touring bike. - Touring and camping. 38-42s, fenders.
Fixed gear. - Commuter, lock-up bike, fun. 25-28s.
Monstercross/drop bar MTB. - Fun, gettin' dirty, shredding gnar. 42-55s.

Could easily do without the fixed gear, but they are too much fun not to have.

I don't race, nor do I intend to.

the night owl
09-12-2011, 10:09 PM
The optimal number of bikes is one less than the number that would cause marital/relationship problems.

learlove
09-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Like others said I guess it depends on the rider (and bank account).

But I've always thought this pic from RS's photo page covered it for me.

Basic 3 = Road, cross and track. Covers every medium of racing/riding and training.

-Road: for road riding and racing

-Track: if you live (and ride) on a velodrome. Not for goth like pencil jean wearing hipsters to ride around the trendy city scene and put cards in the spokes.

-Cross: for cross, winter/crappy wx - (or replace with a mnt bike if that is your thing). Actually with the event of 29er's is there really a diff anymore? Cross or mountain - over the years (been riding and racing since I was 14) I've come to realize that anything I could ride with a mtb I could ride with a cross bike and anything I could ride with a cross bike I could ride with a mtb. And BTW if you need suspension your doing it wrong. Put long road dropouts on the cross and you can swap between a single speed and gears.

Just my 2 cents.

Stan Lee
09-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Great photo! I teach internationally and travel with a coupled cross bike and it seems to do it all so if I could only choose one that would be it. Saying that- if you have the space and the money I don't think you can have to many.

forrestw
09-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Good road bike, serotta w/ campagnolo
light fixed gear for training, commuting and showing off
winter fixed gear w/ wide tires and fenders

Another couple would be great, I may yet get around to building a spare bianchi frame into a second road (touring) bike and perhaps an mtb

rugbysecondrow
09-13-2011, 06:01 AM
I don't need any of them as I could get fitness and enjoyment from other places and in a much more economical way. That being said, my sport tourer Bedford with fat tires and couplers, fenders mounted and rack ready would be the last bike I would sell if I had to choose.

My stable is rounded out prett well now:

Sport tourer Bedford with couplers for long rides, rural roads of questionable condition, use as a travel bike and just all around riding goodness.

Club racer Bedford for faster rides and training

Surly travelers check, setup as a SS bike for easier travel. A great Arline traveler and a winter bike with fat tires.

Cyfac triathlon bike for race day.

Redline monocog flight SS 29er.

My WANT: a fat tired naked titanium Bedford with couplers. A racier frame but with accommodations for fatter tires. Maybe in a year or so. ;)

OTB
09-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Have: more than I need - Sachs, IF Club Racer, Merckx MXL x 2, Moots x 2, Look 595, Surly Steamroller

Want: Meivici - (but the $8395 price tag is a no way), Rivendell Roadeo

Need: nothing - probably least need the 595, probably need the IF and the Surly the most (commute). everything else is just fun.

SPOKE
09-13-2011, 07:26 AM
One for every day of the month is a good start........getting closer to one for every year I've been alive:)

BigDaddySmooth
09-13-2011, 09:26 AM
3 is ideal for me..2 road bikes to alternate the experience and 1 bike on the trainer as I am too lazy to take off/put on. So, yeah, 3 should do it. Now, which 3...CSi, Yamaguchi w/sloping S3 and Calfee 'bout covers it.

Frankwurst
09-13-2011, 10:22 AM
1. Goodrich 650b
2. Bridgestone RB-T
3. Waterford built Rivendell 700c takes huge tires with canti brakes.
4. Rivendell Atlantis 26" w/generator hub and lights
5. Rawland rSogn 650b to be built w/big honkin 650b tires to go in icky places
6. Kogswell P/R 650b to be built w/paul flat rack for hauling beer
7. Kogswell P58 w/2 forks different rakes currently off for repaint
8. 1976 Schwinn Paramount P15 all original
9. 1989 Cannondale Red Shred converted to 8 speed. All around beater bike.
10. Raleigh Aleyska pretty much all original
11. 1984 Trek 620 all original (on it's way due to arrive today)

When somebody asks me why I need more than one bicycle I ask them why they need more than one pair of shoes. :beer:

Aaron O
09-13-2011, 10:25 AM
How many bikes do I need? Realistically, I probably only need two in order to commute full time...a winter bike/back up bike and an everyday all arounder. How many do I really need for the hobby? Maybe 4...add in a road bike and a long distance lighter bike.

How many do I have?

A lot...14, depending on how you count.

How many would I own if space, money and wife were no object?

N + 1.

Acotts
09-13-2011, 10:30 AM
I need 5 or 6.

JMerring
09-13-2011, 10:40 AM
2. a good one and a not so good one.

Fixed
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
one bike
cheers

now to get rid of 6 others i don't need

Chance
09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Need = 0

Want = ????

PoppaWheelie
09-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I have four road bikes and actually really want to have just one. I'm emotionally invested in all of them though and therefore have a tough time imagining going through the motions of a sell-off. A nice problem to have, I know. Funny to have gone through years of getting to four that I really like and getting them just SO, and now I want to simplify.

If someone came to my garage with a checkbook and made it easy I'd probably do it.

veloduffer
09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
My needs are seasonal:

Spring/summer/early fall - road bikes (Sachs, Parlee, Ottrott, Kish)
Fall/winter/early spring - cross bikes (Serotta, All City) and mtb (Trek).

They all have a purpose (in my mind) and I enjoy the variety. :beer:

Ti Designs
09-13-2011, 01:23 PM
How many bikes should a bike enthusiast have?

By enthusiast, do you mean a bike enthusiast or a riding enthusiast?

BillG
09-13-2011, 02:16 PM
By enthusiast, do you mean a bike enthusiast or a riding enthusiast?

:banana:

Don't I count as both Ed?

witcombusa
09-13-2011, 02:19 PM
ALL OF THEM

Ti Designs
09-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Don't I count as both Ed?

Yeh, there is some overlap. You get excited about doing a ride and then either put together what you envision as the perfect bike or you make changes to something you have to handle the ride better. I've seen you on the same bike on two very different rides (D2R2 and that first christmas day ride) so you're clearly not in the category of "need a different bike for every type of ride".

I'm a cycling enthusiast, but I like my Serotta and changing bikes just annoys me, so that's what I ride. It takes me weeks to switch bikes. Every year I switch to my fixed gear in the winter and then back to my Serotta in the spring, there's about 2 weeks of complaining when that happens. I guess if I liked bikes enough to own 20 of them I would start to hate riding.

BillG
09-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeh, there is some overlap. You get excited about doing a ride and then either put together what you envision as the perfect bike or you make changes to something you have to handle the ride better. I've seen you on the same bike on two very different rides (D2R2 and that first christmas day ride) so you're clearly not in the category of "need a different bike for every type of ride".

I'm a cycling enthusiast, but I like my Serotta and changing bikes just annoys me, so that's what I ride. It takes me weeks to switch bikes. Every year I switch to my fixed gear in the winter and then back to my Serotta in the spring, there's about 2 weeks of complaining when that happens. I guess if I liked bikes enough to own 20 of them I would start to hate riding.

I'm meeting Shelly at 5:30 at the RSC! Come if you can make it.

Dekonick
09-13-2011, 08:21 PM
My answer in simple math: total stable +1

My Wife's answer in simple math: total stable -1

Real answer = any bike is a good thing :)

mflaherty37
09-13-2011, 08:35 PM
You need 1 bike to get a workout on. Your first choice should be something smooth like a Serotta. However, if you want to race, you will need an aero stiff riding power meter equipped bike that (understandably) no one on here normally likes, but if you want to race you will need that. Then if you are like myself and you commute on crushed limestone or possibly some dirt or gravel, then you will need a cross bike, or a Strong Dirt Road bike works for that. Now if you are a racer but you value your collarbone or don't have the health insurance to risk your health in a criterium, then you will need a time trial bike. Now if you ride your bike to the train station and lock it up outside, you will need an 80's Schwinn World with ducktape on the seat or similar. Now we are up to five bikes that you need, a smoothie, a stiffie, cross, time trial, & junker. However, you do not need a mountain bike - flat bars are out of style.

roguedog
09-13-2011, 08:59 PM
address please! :banana: :banana:

I have four road bikes and actually really want to have just one. I'm emotionally invested in all of them though and therefore have a tough time imagining going through the motions of a sell-off. A nice problem to have, I know. Funny to have gone through years of getting to four that I really like and getting them just SO, and now I want to simplify.

If someone came to my garage with a checkbook and made it easy I'd probably do it.

d.vader123
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Not trying to take this in another direction, but I was wondering - If you guys add up the total cost of all your bikes, how much would it be?

Better yet -
Would it cost more than a honda civic or more than a bmw m3?

RFC
09-14-2011, 12:06 AM
The only intelligent thing Phil Graham said was when he was running for president. He was asked about his shotgun collection and replied, "I have more shotguns than I need, but not as many as I want."

I have too many bikes -- road bikes, classic bikes, cyclocross bikes, mountain bikes, single speeds, etc. -- But, even so, my investment is insignificant when compared to a sports car collection. End of story. I'm completely comfortable with this. Amen.

Oh, and I do have a BMW Z4 and I have not yet reached that price nor am I likely to do so soon. But, out of a desire to learn and a certain Midwestern independence, I build my own bikes, I buy frames and parts (often on the Bay), so it depends if you rely on others. I am a lawyer and somewhat mechanically challenged, but I find a way. BTW, I would never attempt to work on the BMW.

jr59
09-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Not trying to take this in another direction, but I was wondering - If you guys add up the total cost of all your bikes, how much would it be?

Better yet -

:crap:

I try very hard NOT to add up what they all cost!

There is no end in sight N+1 is always out there!

Right now I have 4
Surly Cross Check, all decked out in Campy 10 speed alloy!
1984 trek 620 with phil wood hubs and BB, Sun tour , and Nito
A trek Sawyer, with Rholoff and Chris King disc drivetrain
A custom Spectrum Ti with campy 11

PLUS

A touring frame in the works!

As I said no end in sight!

SPOKE
09-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Better yet -

My collection includes bikes and frames dating back to the early 1970's. Virtually all of them would be considered top level bikes from their respective time period. What's scary to me is what it would cost to replace thes bikes with current year model equalivents! Enough to buy a modest house......maybe.

d.vader123
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
My collection includes bikes and frames dating back to the early 1970's. Virtually all of them would be considered top level bikes from their respective time period. What's scary to me is what it would cost to replace thes bikes with current year model equalivents! Enough to buy a modest house......maybe.Yowzah =)

old_fat_and_slow
09-14-2011, 09:55 AM
It's not about "need".

It's about want.

If I have "x" number of bikes, then I always want/need "x + 1".

If I have "x + 1" number of bikes, then, of course, I need "(x +1) + 1".

Want and need are synonymous in my vernacular.

Bob Loblaw
09-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I recently had to convince my wife I needed a new road bike frame to replace the frame that cracked (this in addition to my main road bike, my single speed rain/winter bike, and my family/errand bike). It was a strange moment because I understood that while I was making perfect sense to myself, I heard myself sounding like a lunatic to her.

The story ends with her not seeing my side, but me buying the frame anyway. Not the first time, not the last. :D

BL

witcombusa
09-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm sure we have some 20+, 30+ and even 50+ bike owners on here :)

(and I do mean COMPLETE bikes too)

rugbysecondrow
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I recently had to convince my wife I needed a new road bike frame to replace the frame that cracked (this in addition to my main road bike, my single speed rain/winter bike, and my family/errand bike). It was a strange moment because I understood that while I was making perfect sense to myself, I heard myself sounding like a lunatic to her.

The story ends with her not seeing my side, but me buying the frame anyway. Not the first time, not the last. :D

BL

You must have a comfy couch or she really enjoys her new car. :)

SPOKE
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm sure we have some 20+, 30+ and even 50+ bike owners on here :)

(and I do mean COMPLETE bikes too)

Yes......

Acotts
09-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I need 4 bikes. If I dont have 2 MTBs, a CX bike, and a Road bike, and at least 5 hours a week on 'em....well lets just say things'll get ugly.

Real ugly. National News, day of rememberance kinda ugly.

Ima just sayin'

p.s. I think 6 is more ideal.

vav
02-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Show road bike. Nice rides when weather is nice. No rain, no snow and not cloudy.
Training road bike.
Triathlon bike
First road bike "sentimental value"
Pimped up SS
Beater"lock it anywhere" SS
Mountain bike.

PS: Probably "need" only one or two.

d.vader123
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Well, I need 3, but I only have one.
1. One road bike.
2. One really nice road bike.
3. Folding bike.

AgilisMerlin
02-05-2012, 10:04 PM
How many bikes do you "need"?

one

a race bike, in which i commute to work on. I like the way they ride because of their geometry.

How many bikes do i want and own? That is another question.

Jack Brunk
02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
One and a back up.

bargainguy
02-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I used to rebuild bikes on the side. When my wife would see me dragging yet another bike to the attic or basement, she'd give me the stink eye and say, "Are you selling that one or keeping it?" Kind of hard to say I was keeping a 69cm road bike when I ride a 44cm -- she knows I couldn't even reach the pedals on that monster, being a decent enough biker herself.

So our compromise was I keep her in a nice bike she wants (Madone) and keep it tuned and set up the way she likes, and she lets me play.

I have three IF crown jewels (two steel and one ti), a Gunnar Crosshairs, a Bridgestone XO-3 hybrid (with the arc bars) and a half dozen folding bikes (Bike Fridays and one Dahon). The folding bikes are neatly tucked away in their suitcases for the most part, so they don't take up much room.

Don

AgilisMerlin
02-05-2012, 10:17 PM
One and a back up.

:D

Wilkinson4
02-05-2012, 10:21 PM

mIKE

ps. 5... That is my goal to get down to. I think with that stable I can cover any type of riding I want to do.

Toei 650b
Ellis Road
Baylis Fixed Gear
Moots Ybb SL
???

froze
02-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Enough to make my wife not understand me!

pavel
02-06-2012, 01:13 AM
has anyone posted n+1 or s-1 yet?

54ny77
02-06-2012, 01:31 AM
addictions can be fun.

bking
02-06-2012, 05:08 AM
it can be determined by a mathmatical forumula:
CB+1=N

gearguywb
02-06-2012, 05:53 AM
About the time you think you are done you mistakenly look at the classifieds section and see a zankritcheykirkstrongmootsifsachsvanilla and off we go again!

Nil Else
02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Minimum 10 bikes for a bona fide bike nut.

ajz07
02-06-2012, 10:24 PM
as many as your wife lets you have (or that you can keep her from seeing). For me that is 3 built up and one undiscovered frame

reptarlazer
02-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty content with what I've got now. (I've said this several times before buying something else.)

High end road bike
Classic road bike
Track Bike
Commuter/ Tourer/ Light trails. Fenders, racks etc...
BMX
I'd love to have a hardtail MTB, but I don't live near any mountains, so it seems rather impractical.

Nil Else
02-06-2012, 10:33 PM
as many as your wife lets you have (or that you can keep her from seeing). For me that is 3 built up and one undiscovered frame

If I remove wheels, saddle, and handle bar, I noticed, a lot of people don't know it is a bike!

veloduffer
02-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Currently have 3 road, 1 tourer/cross, 2 cross geared, 1 cross single speed, 1 mtb

Technical question: do unbuilt framesets count???? :confused:
If so, I reached the minimum (2 road + 1 cross framesets in boxes).

don'TreadOnMe
02-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Three.
24" bmx bike, for ripping around w/the kids.
29" ss rigid mtb, for casual get away days.
700c road bike, lycra go-fast days.

Tim
02-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Three: Road bike, cross bike and a single speed winter/city bike.

gone
02-07-2012, 09:19 AM

I qualify :D

MattTuck
02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
It's weird to see a thread you started almost 3 years ago become resurrected... makes you feel old.

In other news, I still have the two bikes I mentioned in the first post. :crap: Must get more bikes!

Uncle Jam's Army
02-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I admire those that have been able to reduce their fleet to one or even two bikes by choice, even if they could have more.

Bob Loblaw
02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I currently find myself with four road bikes and I'm not sure I like it better than having one or two. Two road-racing steeds (one Ti with Campy and one Reynolds 831 with Ultegra/Dura-Ace), one aluminum fendered tourer/winter-rain bike/cyclo-crosser, and a single speed steelie.

They're like kids. At least one of them always needs something, and I always feel like I'm neglecting one or two of them.

Thinking about paring it down to one road bike and the single speed.

BL

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
"(or that you can keep her from seeing)."

"They're like kids. At least one of them always needs something, and I always feel like I'm neglecting one or two of them."

That. And that. 6 bikes in the bike saloon.

CaliFly
02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
If I can't give it ride time, it doesn't belong in the stable.

1 Road
1 Cross
1 27" Single Speed conversion
1 29er Hardtail MTB
1 Full Squish MTB (least ridden...may soon be sold)