PDA

View Full Version : I need some medical advice

gdw
03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
I had an accident three weeks ago while mountain biking. I crashed badly in a rock garden and sustained a deep gash to my forearm and bashed the elbow as well. Since it was after 10:00pm I decided not to go to the emergency room and cleaned and bandaged the cut at home. My upper forearm was swollen for two weeks after the crash but the cut did not become infected. This past week it has returned to it's normal size with the exception of a large goose egg of calcium which formed about two inches below the joint. Apparently I have an incomplete fracture of the ulna which appears to be healing nicely. My questions to the doctors among us:
1. How long will it take for the bone to heal?
2. When can I resume doing upper body workouts? push-ups, weight training etc.

Gothard
03-24-2009, 11:49 PM
"I need some medical advice"

Then go see a real flesh and blood doctor, who can actually see and touch and x-ray your arm.

That said, a calcification can be many things depending on its location: callus forming around a fracture, calcifying muscle tear (myositis calcifians), reaction to a foreign body, calcifying hematoma, bursitis, and I won't go into abscesses which would be really nasty.

A for your fracture, depending on the displacement, and your calcium mass, healing should be stable but not strong at abut 4 weeks and strong at 8-10 weeks. Unless you are a sailor, an inmate, never eat cheese or milk, or have systemic disease, or eat different medications.

csm
03-25-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm not a doctor but.... I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last month. My best advice would be to see a doctor.

TimD
03-25-2009, 07:59 AM
:crap:

gdw
03-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I already saw a doctor, well, sort of. One of my riding partners, and veterinarian, took a look at it last night after seeing the bump and diagnosed the break. She was impressed at how well the cut had healed and thought that the bone was mending nicely. The pain is minimal, the bone is aligned correctly, and the deposit is exactly like the one that formed the last time I broke a bone. She also felt that an infection would have been very apparent by now. So it appears everything is healing properly but if there are any signs of complications I'll see a real MD.

PS -I would have gone to a doctor initially if I had thought the bone was broken or the cut had shown any sign of infection. I chose not to go to the emergency room since the cut wasn't too bad and my last visit resulted in a 4 hour wait, a tetanus shot, 3 stitches, and a bill just over my $1000 deductible. Gotta love the American medical system.

palincss
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I guess it is a lot cheaper to see a vet...

jimcav
03-25-2009, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=gdw] Apparently I have an incomplete fracture of the ulna which appears to be healing nicely.

that is a mix of medical jargon and layman's terms. either you have fracture, or you don't--incomplete is not really a category. anyway, get an x-ray if you haven't, if you have and you do have a fracture you'd need 4-6 weeks minimum before you apply a stress load the bone again--pain should be your guide.

edit--just saw your post. since you are soliciting advice, here is mine: sounds like you are assuming a break that you are allowing to heal without a cast, which would not ensure good union/alignment or provide pain relief;al of which likely means there was no fracture. fractures hurt. if you have good range of motion then just increase your activity gradually--if it hurts then back off
or see a doctor and get a definitive diagnosis and recovery plan
good luck
jim

gdw
03-25-2009, 10:49 AM
if you're a cyclist and friend. Too bad my dogs don't ride.

GuyGadois
03-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Just wondering, what is the downside about seeing a real live doctor? When it comes to health and finances I don't leave it up to people opinions on chat sites (no offense to anyone here).

Go see a doctor (calling Dr. Phil does not count)

:beer:

-GG-

Dekonick
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
ummm

dude

getting information about a disease, medical problem, etc is one thing (there are lots of well informed members who share such knowledge...) but..

when you are talking about diagnosing and treating... the injury/illness needs to be seen in the flesh... and by a properly trained staff with the proper exams / diagnostic tests etc. Without such, your lump is only that - a lump.

Why risk it? It could be minor - it may not. Go to the ER and be seen.

Thats what I would do if it were my injury - except I would have gone that night. (ER's are open 24 hours!)

side note - as an example -

a laceration has a window to be sutured - wait more than several hours and the wound can't be sutured for another day or so. A break that has started to heal may need to be re-broken to properlt align the extremity, etc. Even the best doc still needs x-rays...

:)

not the answer you wanted - but...

go to the ER.

malcolm
03-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Go to an urgent care center that has x-ray capability, most do. Shorter wait and cheaper.

jhcakilmer
03-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Go to an urgent care center that has x-ray capability, most do. Shorter wait and cheaper.

+1.....sorry to hear about your accident. I just sprained my ankle tonight (it's the size of a cantaloupe) playing basketball......... :crap:

Skrawny
03-25-2009, 05:32 PM
My best advice would be to see a doctor.
+1

Insider's tip: if you need to go to the ER, go first thing in the morning: very little wait! (the corollary is: when getting an apt to see your MD, get the first visit of the morning or the first after lunch - the doc gets late by each patient using more than their allotted slot, if you are the first, then the doc can't be behind)

-Skrawny, MD

Dekonick
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
+1

Insider's tip: if you need to go to the ER, go first thing in the morning: very little wait! (the corollary is: when getting an apt to see your MD, get the first visit of the morning or the first after lunch - the doc gets late by each patient using more than their allotted slot, if you are the first, then the doc can't be behind)

-Skrawny, MD

OR
Go after 4 AM - the ER has been able to clear the drunks by that time, and the early risers aren't up. Worst time is after shift change.

gutefahrt
03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Don't go to an E.R. It's not an emergency. Urgent care is the place for you. (I feel like I just paraphrased from the children's book, Put me in the Zoo.)

bob the nailer
03-25-2009, 09:30 PM
+1

-Skrawny, MD
LOL! Obviously you don't know some of the guys I work with, who will show up to start a 9 o clock office at 9:45, no matter what, they always do, no real explanation. Some people are just chronically late.

WadePatton
03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Vet is cool. Chiro of mine will x-ray on the cheap. Sounds like you're healing proper. The white coats might get all excited, but there ain't nothing short of surgery now-if for any phacking reason it was indicated.

I hear your question. Can't answer it, but I get it.

Lifelover
03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Sounds like you are good to go.

My advice would be to go as hard on it now as you can. Worst that could happen is you have to start a new thread to ask about that break.

Dekonick
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't go to an E.R. It's not an emergency. Urgent care is the place for you. (I feel like I just paraphrased from the children's book, Put me in the Zoo.)

My 3 year old loves that book.

bnewt07
03-26-2009, 12:57 AM
I am a doctor. Any medical professional is being a fool to give you anything other than the most sketchy advice based on your description of events (for example a 'goose egg sized lump of calcium' is unlikely to appear in just 2 weeks) without access to your X rays or the chance of examining you.

Anyone who posts medical advice for you is either a foolish doctor, or not medical.

Sorry.

slowgoing
03-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Anyone who posts medical advice for you is either a foolish doctor, or not medical.

Or living overseas beyond the reach of US malpractice laws. :)

But still better than taking the advice of a vet, imho.

Skrawny
03-26-2009, 03:04 AM
LOL! Obviously you don't know some of the guys I work with, who will show up to start a 9 o clock office at 9:45, no matter what, they always do, no real explanation. Some people are just chronically late.

i guess I should have said the MD would be the "least behind" at those times. ;)
-s

djg
03-26-2009, 05:34 AM
"I need some medical advice"

Then go see a real flesh and blood doctor, who can actually see and touch and x-ray your arm.

That said, a calcification can be many things depending on its location: callus forming around a fracture, calcifying muscle tear (myositis calcifians), reaction to a foreign body, calcifying hematoma, bursitis, and I won't go into abscesses which would be really nasty.

A for your fracture, depending on the displacement, and your calcium mass, healing should be stable but not strong at abut 4 weeks and strong at 8-10 weeks. Unless you are a sailor, an inmate, never eat cheese or milk, or have systemic disease, or eat different medications.

Ding, ding, ding . . . we have a winner. The most important and useful bit of advice comes right up top, then there's some background information below.

Please let it be true that we'll not see 100 additional threads, with 43 attacking Gothard for giving good, informed advice.

djg
03-26-2009, 05:43 AM
+1

-Skrawny, MD

Caveat: I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Skrawny's advice is directed at the OP and, more generally, people who "need" to go to the ER for non-emergent care. For serious trauma, suspected heart attack, etc., etc., go as promptly as you can manage it (or as others can manage for you).

Just a Phake Doctor, but sometimes a little sechel goes a long way . . . or at least until tomorrow.

TimD
03-26-2009, 05:44 AM
I am a doctor. Any medical professional is being a fool to give you anything other than the most sketchy advice based on your description of events (for example a 'goose egg sized lump of calcium' is unlikely to appear in just 2 weeks) without access to your X rays or the chance of examining you.

Sorry.

Maybe Bill Frist reads this forum???