PDA

View Full Version : Ceramics..

oldguy00
03-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I was bored and wanted to try a relatively inexpensive 'upgrade' to the road bike.
So I bought a Dura Ace BB with enduro bearings (about $110) and a set of enduro bearings for my carbones (about $75).

I don't have a power meter, and don't use computers much, but man, the bike sure feels smooth! I think Bill Bove once posted that he thought it was similar to riding with a new chain, super smooth and easy feeling.
I know Enduro bearings are considered cheap. But I don't feel I put out too much money for these. Worthwhile upgrade IMHO.
:beer:

scottcw2
03-24-2009, 05:51 PM
I bought a Hatta BB with upgraded ceramics for a fixie and my tech, who has over 20 yrs experience at some top shops, said it was the best BB he had ever seen.

rustychain
03-24-2009, 06:02 PM
I also loved my Enduro bearings..........1500 miles later, not so much. Hope you have better luck.
Now the Campy Cult bearings are still sweet after 5000 miles (i know that's not much but I'm peddling as fast as I can).

Simon Q
03-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Apparently ceramic derailleur jockeys save watts than a ceramic upgrade to DA BB. Go figure - maybe becuase they spin much faster.

GBD
03-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Ceramic may sound exotic, but I cannot tell the difference.
Have had FSA ceramic BB for about two years,
Set my calender to remind me every 4 months to take the bike in to LBS to clean and repack the ceramic BB. Pain in the rear end. I was very close to replacing them with DA, and I am sure I will in the future...

tuscanyswe
03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Also cant tell difference with ceramics bb vs stock but we all know the real reason to buy ceramic bbs is the colour..

GBD
03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Not with mine, you will never know they are ceramic.
Also, red would not match the bike...

tuscanyswe
03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
The reason i bought mine was actually the gold colour. At that time you couldent get coloured bbs in non ceramic, maybe you still cant?

oldguy00
03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Also cant tell difference with ceramics bb vs stock but we all know the real reason to buy ceramic bbs is the colour..

My BB is actually the stock 7900 Dura Ace BB with bearings replaced, so no exotic color.
Hey, some people swear they can feel the difference between aluminum and carbon seat posts....... Everyone is different... :)
I have no regrets on the upgrade.