PDA

View Full Version : Aliante - Perforated or smooth

dekindy
03-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I reviewed Aliante threads and it appears that there is a significance other than looks to perforated versus smooth leather.

Apparently the perforated keeps you from sliding and may be harder on shorts. Whereas the smooth is easy on shorts but you might slide more.

Are these statements true? Which do you prefer? Never thought about it?

Also, does the one carbon version have suede instead of leather on the nose? What is preferred there?

I am going to test a perforated saddle with suede on the side of the nose.

chuckred
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I reviewed Aliante threads and it appears that there is a significance other than looks to perforated versus smooth leather.

Apparently the perforated keeps you from sliding and may be harder on shorts. Whereas the smooth is easy on shorts but you might slide more.

Are these statements true? Which do you prefer? Never thought about it?

Also, does the one carbon version have suede instead of leather on the nose? What is preferred there?

I am going to test a perforated saddle with suede on the side of the nose.

Mine are both smooth. I certainly don't feel like I slide around unless I try to. Don't know about perforated, suede, etc. I like mine for what it's worth.

malcolm
03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Don't know about the aliante. But I've used smooth as well as perforated regals and while I like the look of the perfs I don't like riding on them. The perfs seem to keep my shorts from moving with my backside causing my shorts to pinch the nether regions. ymmv

bigdeal
03-24-2009, 03:33 PM
i can tell you it is suede on the front, don't know yet if the performations make a difference as i just mounted my new saddle last weekend.

1centaur
03-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I was wary of the newer Aliantes with perforations due to potential bib friction/wear but found the perfs are not in the right place to make that an issue - I ride both in equal comfort and have noticed no extra wear.

GBD
03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
You would not know the difference. The carbon frame is stiffer and for me, being 195 lb, the plastic frame flexes too much.
The suede will last 6-12 month and you will need to either use shrink rap or electrical tape to cover it. I also had an issue with the stitch digging in and creating a sore after about 2 hours in the saddle.
I just took one of my Aliantes to be re-upholstered. First ride tomorrow morning.

martinrjensen
03-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Gee, I never thought of that. What did it cost? I want to get one in brown with black thigh pads. They made one, then took it off the market because something in the dye didn't measure up to (California only) sandards. Great looking sadle an every once in a while one pops up on eBay.
You would not know the difference. The carbon frame is stiffer and for me, being 195 lb, the plastic frame flexes too much.
The suede will last 6-12 month and you will need to either use shrink rap or electrical tape to cover it. I also had an issue with the stitch digging in and creating a sore after about 2 hours in the saddle.
I just took one of my Aliantes to be re-upholstered. First ride tomorrow morning.

dekindy
03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I rode the carbon railed version with perforations and it did not seem to be an issue. I had asked Fizik about the weight limit and they assured me that the carbon rails would support my 200 lbs.

Perforated microtex is the only option for the 09 saddles. There are now only two Aliante models. The only difference between the Gamma and Carbon Braided are:

rail type - Carbon versus Kium,
nose - suede versus smooth microtex
Carbon has color options on the thigh guards and come in microtex instead of suede
Rail shape - might be a difference there, the carbon are elongated but I think the Kium are traditional round stock

I like the look of the suede and the option of red thigh guards, but don't care for a 12-month life, so I am leaning towards the Gamma. The black Gamma with all guards chromed might be a winner.

All the smooth microtex models would now be NOS. At least I think the 2009 models are available.

GBD
03-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Martin,
You can get the leather from Tandy leather factory. The upholstery place will charge you about $50 if you supply the leather.
Gal

soulspinner
03-26-2009, 03:05 AM

Let me know how your recover turns out. I have one thats ragged yet the foam seems fine....

GBD
03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
so far so good, but only 2 training rides on it.
Real test will be century on Sunday.