PDA

View Full Version : Ultegra/Dura Ace to SRAM Force

bkboom123
03-23-2009, 08:38 PM
So I am completely intrigued by the SRAM force group.... I have only been on shimano Ultegra and I am curious if anyone had only been on shimano and then switched to Force.....and how long it took to get used the difference.

I was also curious where this group stands next to a shimano group performance and weight wise.....I am considering giving the groupset a try this summer and want to hear what people say as far as performance, price, and weight in comparison to the shimano groups, as well as the learning curve.

I know there are going to be the "campy rules the world" replies but lets try and keep it to Shimano vs. SRAM? :beer:

RHD
03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
I made the jump last year. But I still have Ultegra on an old bike I keep for trainer/bad weather use. It was about 4-5 rides for me before I could switch back and forth with out any thought about it. But as they say your mileage may vary! From my experience both groups set-up and adjusted properly will function with out a problem. My only real advice is to ride each group and see how your hands feel on the hoods. You spend a lot of time with your fingers wrapped around those things, and SRAM and Shimano do have different feels to the brifters. Find the one that you can hold onto for five or six hours at a time and not walk away with numb hands! My comfort zone fell to SRAM and I chose them because they felt right at the end of the day.
RHD

Der_Kruscher
03-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I've leapt from Ultegra to Rival - don't bother with Force except for maybe the crank if you care about the weight (I went with a Red crank myself). Force and Rival are exactly the same functionally and Rival is barely heavier (except for the crank). I weighed my shifters and the SRAM set was 120g less than Ultegra. Enjoy!

ents
03-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I was also curious where this group stands next to a shimano group performance and weight wise.....I am considering giving the groupset a try this summer and want to hear what people say as far as performance, price, and weight in comparison to the shimano groups, as well as the learning curve.

shimano is the heaviest group
sram rival is a super super super great value
i "made the leap" and ive never looked back, its awesome.

jlwdm
03-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Good thread across the hall from about a week ago regarding Rival and Force. Recommendations to use Shimano cassettes and chains and some recommendations for Fulcrum crank.

Jeff

Bruce K
03-24-2009, 04:02 AM
I'm running 2 Red groups and a Force group with FSA cranks and they work great.

I have no issues with the SRAM cassettes or chains, but I change my chains about 1200 miles or so. I have heard the new SRAM chain, when it arrives this summer is more durable.

BK

peanutgallery
03-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Made the leap over the winter from Dura-Ace to Force, the motion to use the shifters came pretty naturally. Took like a ride or 2. Never bothered with the SRAM chain or cassette because of what I heard. Might try the chain over the summer just for fun. Been happy and the price is right, especially for Rival at the moment.

Spicoli
03-24-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm running 2 Red groups and a Force group with FSA cranks and they work great.

I have no issues with the SRAM cassettes or chains, but I change my chains about 1200 miles or so. I have heard the new SRAM chain, when it arrives this summer is more durable.

BK
I think the newer version is out already? The original was 1090 and the newer 1090R NO? Not 100% sure but have been using the latter with a Red cass. on the race bike and its been great! Combo does need 2-3 rides to "break in", it started a little mechanical feeling but got real smooth after a few rides.

I had been running Shimano chains and cass. on all my bikes but since this has worked out so well, I will switch to the Sram as my others wear out.

Made the Leap a while ago and have to say I am very pleased with it :beer:

PS Force is great if you already have it but Rival stuff has zero flaws, its just as good as all the groups...DA, Record, and Red included for that matter. Such minute differences between the groups other than a little weight. I love the bling factor and have the good/pricey stuff but on a dessert island and had to pick one group...Rival it is. Break it, crash it, light it on fire...who cares ;) Great race worthy stuff.

mistermo
03-24-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree with what all the others have said. I was an early adopter and leapt from Shimano DA to SRAM Force when it first came out. It took about 20 miles before my brain was reprogrammed for shifting. My only complaint was the lack of front derailleur trim, but that's been fixed since. I've now got my old Force on one bike and Red on another. Rival is a super great value.

I think there are a couple of additional reasons that haven't been mentioned. My Force has held up well, but I hear that SRAM customer service is great and and replacement parts are easy to get. I abandoned Shimano for that very reason.

Also, I like the fact that SRAM is US based and seems to be supporting grass roots, US cycling more than Shimano. Since I vote w/ my dollars, they get my vote!

Johnny Law
03-24-2009, 08:44 AM
seeing as how no one asked, i'll be switching from the 105 to the new dura ace (i hope) this summer and i'll be finding out those results as i go along.

i like to learn by doing and i also like to fish. shimano.

deluxerider
03-24-2009, 09:17 AM
in terms of performance i don't think that you will notice much of a difference. sram has a heavier feel at the shift lever and the shift is more audible compared to the light and quiet feel of shimano. very tactile. i only have ever had one mis-shift and that was right after i built the bike up on a parking lot test. i tried to sweep the lever. it's a great system. force will be much lighter than ultegra and i'm pretty sure it's lighter than d-a 7800. i do run d-a cassettes and chains.

fourflys
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
I test rode the new Look 566 with Rival today and noticed the meaty part of my palms, at the base of the thumbs, got sore... It felt like the hoods were more "humped up" then Shimano... any opinions?
thanks,
Chris

Bruce K
03-25-2009, 03:41 AM
For me, one of the biggest reasons I made the leap was The D-A 10 hoods were very uncomfortable comapred to the D-A 9 speed.

The SRAM fit my hand better.

I hear the last year or so Shimano "reverted" to a shape that is more like the 9 speed but not quite as bulky.

BK

Arnabio
03-25-2009, 04:28 AM
My only complaint was the lack of front derailleur trim, but that's been fixed since.

I went with some advice concerning this when I had the RED set put on my bike. I have a DA front derailleur. This works beautifully with the rest of the system.

I am coming from a bike equipped with (2005) Ultegra, and this is a night and day difference. SRAM is such a crisp shifting feeling and getting used to it takes no more effort than switching between Campy and Shimano, or for that matter shimano and DT shifters.

As far as the hoods they're flat, entirely flat and I find this entirely more comfortable than the shimano dip that always made my little finger go numb.

As always, YMMV, but good luck!

Aaron